Newb Pacific Energy Neo 2.5 Insert Install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

VonH

Jun 22, 2019
Wisconsin
Hey all. Long time lurker. Been wanting to convert our fireplace with a wood-burning insert for a few years now and finally bit the bullet. A local dealer is selling all of their non-2020-compliant stock at just above cost, so I purchased a Pacific Energy Neo 2.5 insert from them for $1470!

I'm having them install it due to the fact that our fireplace has an uneven limestone facing and they're able to cut, paint and mortar in a custom surround for about $400. All-in with the liner and install labor, its under $3,400. Not too shabby. Helps that it's a summer install as well!

My question is around insulating my existing fireplace. It's a massive exterior, limestone fireplace with a huge 12" flue. I plan on making a block-off plate and insulating the existing firebox with Roxul. Should I do all of this prior to the install, and risk the installers complaining about "That's not how we do it..", or do I just let them do their thing, and then pull the unit to install the plate and insulation?

One issue is that the damper is only 5" tall, so they're going to to need to cut the damper frame and knock out some bricks to clear the liner, so maybe making the block-out plate after that demo makes more sense once I can assess what I'm working with. At the very least, I'm thinking I could make the insulation "panels" for the old fireplace firebox ahead of time while I have good, clear access, and then install them once I pull the unit.

Any tips on things you wish you would have done for your first install? And don't worry about wood, I've been cutting and drying wood for years. In fact, in the process of taking down 33 ash trees due to EAB. :(

Also, I finally found a use for the useless ash chute at the back of our fireplace—running electrical for the blower! Man, my ash hole has never been cleaner.

Attachments

• IMG_4858.jpeg
    IMG_4858.jpeg
    88.1 KB · Views: 226
  • Clean Ash Hole.jpeg
    Clean Ash Hole.jpeg
    169.7 KB · Views: 230
Congratulations. That's a smoking good deal on the insert. Have you discussed wanting an insulated block-off plate with the dealer or installer? If this is a slow time they may be willing to do this. If not, one option would be to go ahead and insulate the fireplace rear and sides now. If you use a board type insulation it will be neat and tidy when the installers arrive. Insulation board (micore or roxul comfortboard) can be anchored with tapcons and large flat washers. The block-off plate could be cut and fitted but without the center hole and not installed. Then all the installers need to do is stuff above the BP with kaowool or roxul around the liner, cut the hole and anchor the plate.

Thanks for the helpful response. Looking for a place to source comfortboard and coming up short. Any recommendations?

Check with the local lumber yards, home depot and lowes.

Install went smoothly and it was finally cool enough to fire it up for the first time after waiting a few months. I haven’t used an insert before, so starting it up has been a learning experience. A little smoke later and I think I have the gist.

Love the secondary burn. Looks like mini-Northern lights!

A49F98A9-4C53-48F5-8F9E-4F850F704FE3.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice. That vid makes me want to burn.

Reactions: VonH
No doubt, secondaries are pretty. To be honest sometimes I missed it. :(

This is my first time burning in a stove/insert, so I have no reference point on performance other than the huge masonry fireplace with a 1970s heatilator that I plugged with this unit. That being said, I can’t believe how efficient this thing is with wood compared to how much heat it throws off!

I started a modest fire yesterday afternoon as a test burn, throwing in 4 splits with the air intake half-open and that burned a good 4 hours down to usable coals. The fan was still blowing really hot air at this point. Around 7 pm I loaded it up with 6 more medium ash splits, got the wood charred well and then cranked down the air to see what kind of burn that would provide.

Well, it’s the next morning and while the fan isn’t blowing, there’s a great bed of coals that I just combined and threw three splits on. Started right up and I’m sitting here with coffee and pretty secondaries 15 minutes later, with the fan blowing hot air again.

Once I master the starting routine for this unit I think it’s going to be a great performer. It’s on the middle floor of a split-level ranch and all of the hot air found itself right into our bedrooms like magic.

Excited to burn this season!

Last edited:
I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.