Newbi Splitting Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TNCave

Feb 4, 2009
TN
Hello All,

I'm planning to install a woodstove in our old farmhouse for next winter, but I'm planning ahead. I've already started cutting and splitting wood so it will have time to cure for next season.
I'm not real sure when is the best time to split wood. I'm in TN and mostly using red oak and osage orange(hedge apple, bois d' arc, whatever).
Should I split it directly after cutting, a couple weeks later when it has started to shrink and crack a little, or even later?

Any help would be great.

Thanks,

Cory

The sooner the better

I agree, the sooner the better. Both Red Oak and Osage Orange take a lot of time to season, so you need to get them seasoning ASAP. Sometimes you'll find a log is easier to split green, easier partially seasoned, easier frozen, etc., but in general I find the differences not that large, and most wood not that hard to split in the first place, so no need to wait. I think. By the way, if you can find some wood that will season more quickly (almost any other species), I'd cut some of that to make sure you have some really well seasoned wood for next year. This is particularly true as you get into winter and spring, when seasoning time will be even shorter.

I think it splits better when it's a little drier, but I do hear people here say it splits better when wet.

Either way I think it is the easiest in the very cold weather. Cold enough so that you don't get wet gloves, but warm enough so that you can toss your jacket and split in your manly flannel lumberjack shirt. (except for those tough pieces, throw those to the side for when it's been -20 for three days out, then they'll bust right apart)

I never miss a day in the upper teens or lower 20s to split wood. That's my favorite time to be outside.

Good Info, Thanks for the replies.

Does white oak season faster than red? I have access to some of it as well.

For the record, if I wait around for two to three days of sub-20 degree weather, it may be a few years.

Thanks again, I have found this website to be a great resource.

Cory

Yes in TN maybe a brisk 35 to 45 degree day will have to do. I would split it as soon as you are able to let it get drying oak is an 18 to 24 month wood around here as far as drying time.
With your area if you have an open area that gets good wind and sun it could be ready for next season I think.

LOL, I'm an idiot, I didn't even pay attention to where you are in the world. I wouldn't worry, though, with the way global "warming" is going, it should be that cold in about two more years.

I guess Iam off the norm here I go after as much wood as I can get then splitt it in the spring unless its oak! (then I splitt asap)

The best time to split is as soon as you have the time. Do not let it sit because it does not season in log form.
I do mine a few logs at a time and it gets it done.
White oak and red oak take a long time to season, in my opinion neither seasons much faster than the other.
Great job planning ahead, most people do not think about the wood until a week before the stove delivery.

Thanks again for all the help.
I guess I'll start splitting it as soon as it is convenient after I've cut it.
Additionally, I'll start looking for some different species for next year as it sounds like all my Oak may take longer to season than I expected.

Cory

I agree w/ splitting it as soon as possible after cutting. You are smart to cutting/splitting now for next year when you have stove installed.

TNCave said:
Hello All,

I'm planning to install a woodstove in our old farmhouse for next winter, but I'm planning ahead. I've already started cutting and splitting wood so it will have time to cure for next season.
I'm not real sure when is the best time to split wood. I'm in TN and mostly using red oak and osage orange(hedge apple, bois d' arc, whatever).
Should I split it directly after cutting, a couple weeks later when it has started to shrink and crack a little, or even later?

Any help would be great.

Thanks,

Cory

Welcome to the forum Cory.

You are a wise man to cut your wood before getting the stove! That is the correct way.

As for splitting, usually the sooner the better. We do all of our cutting in the winter and split during the spring, but we use a hydraulic splitter. When I split by hand, then I split wood pretty much all winter. A little at a time.

White oak does seem to take less time than red oak. Both burn great. We always figured on 2 years for white oak and 3 years for red oak.

Good luck.

Yes Cory, that is the ideal. If everyone was 3 years ahead with their wood pile there would be a lot less problems with burning and with chimneys getting clogged with creosote. Two years are good but 3 are even better.

This weekend I'm going to cut two standing dead white oaks.
They've been standing dead for at least three years.
As I'm writing this it occurs to me that I'll just have to get a moisture meter and let it tell me when my wood is ready to burn.

Thanks for all the help.

Cory

TNCave said:
As I'm writing this it occurs to me that I'll just have to get a moisture meter and let it tell me when my wood is ready to burn.

Thanks for all the help.

Cory

Bet you they'll still be > 30% MC

TNCave said:

Thanks for all the help.

Cory
Smaller wood from the limbs might be close if there is no bark on them, but the trunks won't be ready to burn.

Status
Not open for further replies.