Newbie! Brown Appalachian Insert for Gray Fireplace?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

root_mama

Nov 27, 2008
SE US
Hi! I am brand new here and I have a LOT of questions!

We have a indoor fireplace. Meaning a firebox with a masonry exterior (but the masonry does NOT go through to the outside). We are looking into buying a used Appalachian insert stove. Originially I wanted freestanding so it could double as a lite cookstove but our house is really designed for an insert and also this insert sticks out enough to allow for some placement of a pot on top. So it is sort of the best of both worlds.

Anyway, our home is a log cabin with 1000 square feet. The stove model is 52 Bay and it is about 4 years old. Used one winter. It is a catalytic stove. It is rated for 1500-2700 sq feet and our home is only 1000 so that is of some concern. But it is used, local, and the price is really right, so . . . .

Also the stove is brown and the fireplace is gray, so is that okay? We do have a brown mantlepiece and I would like y'alls feedback about whether or not that would need to be removed for safe operation of the insert.

Did I leave out anything???
nyxkpl.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.