Newbie - Chimney liner question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thehesbomb

Hearth Supporter
Nov 2, 2008
NH
We have a Breckwell P23I which we are trying to have installed. Chimney spans 3 stories, probably around 25-30 feet, in a straight shot, center of the house with clay. House was built in 1950, chimney is well maintained and clean. How necessary is a liner? We are being quoted close to $600 for liner cost alone and trying to decide whether safety warrants it. Any advice (gentle or not) is much appreciated.

If the liner is not cracked it should be good. They still build chimneys today using clay tile. Have it inspected by somone with a down the flue camera for better piece of mind.

If the flue tiles are in good shape and no larger than 8"x8", you should be okay. If the flue is larger, you should install a liner. Does the stove have a 6" exaust port? If it does, your stove is made to exaust into a 6" chimney. If your chimney is located on the outside of your house, you should also insulate the liner. My chimney is straight down and I installed a rigid liner. I my opinion, it's a much better product than the flex liner. It's a little more money, but worth it.

Jim

Since that Breckwell is a pellet stove I would say that it seriously needs a 4" liner in that chimney to maintain draft in case of a power failure or stove component failure. Pellet stoves are notorious for smoking up the house during a power failure. That clay flue will not get hot enough to establish and maintain a proper draft with the relatively cool exhaust of a pellet stove but a 4" liner will.

I am going to move this thread over the The Pellet Mill and Corn Crib room for better exposure to pellet stove users for recommendations.

If your stove has a 3" outlet, I think you definately should install a liner. They are not that expensive if you go to someplace like eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/3-Dia-x-25-S-S-Chimney-Liner-Kit-Oil-Gas-Pellet_W0QQitemZ120324746585QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item120324746585&_trkparms=72:570|39:1|66:2|65:12|240:1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Yes I actually found one on Ebay which we could afford and I am waiting to hear from our installer. Given the length of our chimney I am thinking we will opt for a flex liner, both for price and ease of installation. Any big downside to flex that people have experienced?

You should follow Breckwell's manual instructions and use 4" for a chimney height greater than 15 feet.

BrotherBart said:
You should follow Breckwell's manual instructions and use 4" for a chimney height greater than 15 feet.

I agree :)

Breckwell's manual doesn't specify flex OR rigid. We'd already planned to flute it out to 4" liner. I guess we will go with the flex if there's no compelling reason to do otherwise. Thank you all for the advice - it's been truly appreciated!

My chimney is 15 ft so it's not as tall as yours
but I used 3" rigid pellet vent from the stove
into a 4" Cleanout T, then Flex up the chimney
to the cap kit secured with concrete anchoring
screws on the top.
You are probably doing something very similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.