Newbie cleaning question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

klingon

Nov 19, 2021
Kansas
Hi, I have an 80s Townhouse with a fireplace that works well, but looks terrible. I'm going to clean it up the glass bi-fold doors and buy a new mesh curtain. But above the firebox, where I have the lever to open the flue, is a space with a couple of shelfs that have 1/4" of dust sitting on them. I can't figure out how to get in there to pull the dust out. In the picture attached, is that area above the box, that has the mesh-like screen in front of it. As best as I can tell, all that's in there are the two metal shelf areas, both with copious amount of dust sitting on them, and the mechanism to open the flue. Anyone know how get in there to clean?

Newbie cleaning question

Put a HEPA bag or filter on your vacuum and use the crevice tool to get some dust out. If you can find the manual online it may tell you how to clean that area. There may be a plate somewhere that tells you the model of the stove. It may be the channel that blows out any heat from the fireplace so vacuum that grid on top as well.