Newbie considering Pacific Energy Spectrum stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Kartik

Dec 28, 2016
Ithaca, NY
Hi all, I've been reading many posts on this forum for some months now and am truly grateful for everyone's experiences, sharing and help. Thank you all.

I'm about to buy my first wood stove and am leaning pretty heavily toward a new PE Spectrum, largely because of a great deal from a nearby shop ($1k!!) since it's apparently a discontinued floor model, and it's not the most attractive coloring, which we're willing to overlook.

I'm not finding a ton of info out there on these stoves that answers some of my specific questions: anyone had experience with the PE limited lifetime warranty? Sounds pretty solid. What's the difference between the standard Spectrum and the Spectrum Classic? I'm seeing a little on the base (feet vs pedestal) but seems there should be more than that. (I'm not sure yet what the model in question is... I'm getting more info and going to see it next week.) There's a ton more info out there on the Super 27, and I've heard the Spectrum is basically the precursor to the Super, but am not finding much on the differences/similarities.

For context, I have a new construction (2013) very tight, 1200 s.f. home. Planning on the outside air intake of course, and am inclined to have the stove pipe vent up through the house to create better draft and maximize the upstairs heat, since I'd like to use the stove as my sole source of heat. Open to feedback here.

While probably not my absolute top choice, sounds like I won't be disappointed by any stretch with this stove, and the price is unbeatable.

Thank you in advance for any/all feedback.

If it's a classic it'll have legs and the ceramic surround panels. If it's not a classic it'll be ceramic too and a pedestal.

I own two PEs and service a bunch of them and have no personal experience with their warranty and haven't talked to anyone firsthand who has. I've read of a few people on here that have had poor experience with warranty and I've read of some who have had good. It will depend largely on the dealer in your area that you would have to deal with if something came up.

One thousand new sounds cheap cheap cheap. Has it been burned as a demo or floor unit?

Last edited:
Thanks Squisher. No, apparently it's never been burned... Just that they're trying to clear space, I guess, since it's a slightly older model and colors that most folks don't want (copper panels, gold door, if I remember correctly).

May I ask which PEs you own?

I have a super series insert and a summit pedestal freestanding stove. It's all in my signature but depending how you view the site it may not be visible. I am also a chimney sweep, so that's what I meant by servicing a lot of PE's. I clean a lot of them and their chimneys.

The majority of members that have PE stoves have nothing but nice things to say about them, there fairly easy breathers so you can get away with a minimal chimney height of 14ft or greater. There easy to control and to clean.
The one thing is..just like all new epa compliant stoves is that you need truly dry wood, stuff that's at or under 20% moisture content. So while buying the stove, start splitting and stacking your wood, buy an inexpensive moisture meter and test your wood splits. Most wood will take 2 seasons to fully dry out, especially oak, locus and rock maple.
If your from Ithaca NY I would suggest gathering at least 4 cords of wood for next season, that should give you a good base line for burning (starting in November and ending in April)

Thank you both. I went out this morning to see the stove... It's really nice, and I'm so excited to be buying it! It's the standard spectrum, with a pedestal. And the copper/gold wasn't nearly as off-putting as I thought it might be. I actually liked the copper, and they're looking into swapping out the door for another color, but if not the gold's okay. (Speaking for my wife here... I'm all about the flames!)

Good suggestions, kennyp2339. I've got a very cheap source of scrap black locust nearby, much of which actually looks quite dry (to the naked eye, at least)... Planning on trying for that as my primary fuel. And yes, I've read about the challenges of BL: slow to catch, smelly sometimes. I'll try to get done going this season if I can get some dry and see how it goes. Agreed, definitely will need a moisture meter!

Keep any more thoughts or warnings coming... :)

The Spectrum is a very sweet stove. Our next door neighbor has had one for about 10 yrs. now and still sings praises to its easy operation, maintenance and long burns.

Congrats on the new stove. Remember, a picture says a thousand words.;)