Newbie - help. WIFI possible for Comfortbilt pellet stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Sheetmetal0530!

Oct 15, 2021
Santa Fe, NM
Hello All - Newbie here. Love my Comfortbilt pellet stove. But I'm in need of a way to utilize wifi to remote control - wifi t-stat? I drivve at least an hour each way to work - would like to use a wifi app to start my stove when leaving work.... is this possible?

Reactions: plstearns
Hello All - Newbie here. Love my Comfortbilt pellet stove. But I'm in need of a way to utilize wifi to remote control - wifi t-stat? I drivve at least an hour each way to work - would like to use a wifi app to start my stove when leaving work.... is this possible?
Hi, I'm new to the forums and pellet stoves but regarding electronics I'm a jack of all trades and a master of none. :)

If your schedule is simple you may want to utilize the weekly schedule options in the stove menu under General Settings. That information is in the manual.

That said, I too am looking to enable wifi on my Comfortbilt HP22N stove for my place in Mammoth Lakes which is a 5-6 hour drive every Friday evening. I'd like the place warmed up when the wife and kids enter.

I took the control box apart and see there is a 4 pin connector labeled WIFI and a breakout spot right behind it for easy access which I'm going to try to use. In the U.S. I believe manufacturers are not allowed to enable it as per EPA something something global warming blah, blah, blah. I've purchased a Tuya WIFI module TYJW2S-5V-BL and will try hooking it up this weekend.
My assumption is that I'll be able to follow the standard Tuya procedures for connecting it to my wifi and then use my app of choice to control it. The circuit board does not appear proprietary.

The next part will be enabling remote access. While the app may solve this if it's cloud based I'll probably either try to use my Hubitat home control device to interact with it or I'll set up a Raspberry pi zero to run a server I can log into via a browser.

I'll keep you updated but it is likely to be a long process because I'm only up there on weekends and skiing/snowboarding/snowmobiling/snowkiting take priority. :)

WIFI on comfortbilt stove.jpg

Reactions: Ssyko
If your stove has a remote control, you can use a BroadLink RM4. Program the stove remote into it, and you can control it from anywhere through your phone. Get one with the temp/humidity sensor and you can monitor those through your phone too. That’s what I use, start the stove maybe an hour before I leave work, shut it off mid morning when the sun comes out and the house starts warming up, etc. Or start it when I get a notification I’ve set, that the temperature has dropped below 60.

I also use a cheap WiFi camera with microphone pointed at the stove, for assurance that it started up or shut down properly, or there isn’t anything abnormal going on.

Last edited:
If your stove has the option of connecting an external wired thermostat (normally open contacts), then you can use any WiFi thermostat (Nest, Ecobee, Honeywell....) to control your stove remotely.

Follow up from my prior post. I tried it and it worked great.

1. Had to slice my connector to the mainboard because the plug was a different size.
2. Followed the Tuya/Sonoff/Wifi procedures to connect it to my wireless. (I tried a few different methods but the Tuya Smart app finally found it and labeled it "basement dehumidifier."
3. Verified that I was able to control the pellet stove so I renamed it pellet stove.
4. left home and verified control of my stove from out of my network.
5. Made an Old Fashioned and relaxed.

I may hot glue the Tuya module inside the case but I taped it to the back so I could troubleshoot without taking the case apart again if I needed to....I didn't. It worked right the first time. :)

Pellet Stove Board with tape.jpg Pellet Stove with cable.jpg Pellet Stove with card Taped.jpg Pellet Stove with Wifi signal.jpg Screenshot_20211204-160243_Tuya Smart.jpg Screenshot_20211204-160249_Tuya Smart.jpg Screenshot_20211204-160258_Tuya Smart.jpg

Follow up from my prior post. I tried it and it worked great.

1. Had to slice my connector to the mainboard because the plug was a different size.
2. Followed the Tuya/Sonoff/Wifi procedures to connect it to my wireless. (I tried a few different methods but the Tuya Smart app finally found it and labeled it "basement dehumidifier."
3. Verified that I was able to control the pellet stove so I renamed it pellet stove.
4. left home and verified control of my stove from out of my network.
5. Made an Old Fashioned and relaxed.

I may hot glue the Tuya module inside the case but I taped it to the back so I could troubleshoot without taking the case apart again if I needed to....I didn't. It worked right the first time. :)

View attachment 287133 View attachment 287134 View attachment 287135 View attachment 287136 View attachment 287137 View attachment 287138 View attachment 287139
Where did you find the module? I've been looking for one...

Where did you find the module? I've been looking for one...
I bought it on Ebay. I just looked and don't see one now. I'll keep looking on ebay because I think they don't make it anymore.

I'm going to look at the newer chip and see if it will do the same thing but it'll take some time.

I found this but it's ridiculously overpriced. I'll keep looking https://www.ebay.com/itm/193755685005

Last edited:
I ordered them direct from the manufacturer for $4.08 each. Since they where so cheap I got 5 just in case I hosed a few up. Shipping was 5 days from China. When you get the module connected make sure to do a WIFI reset via the stove LCD config panel or initialization of the module will not take place and will be undiscoverable during the provisioning phase when adding the device to the Tuya app.

Create an account here: https://auth.tuya.com

Once you are logged in look on the left hand side of the menu and click Overview > Sample Store and search for "JWBR2S-5V Wi-Fi&BLE Dual Mode Converter" add a few to your cart and complete the checkout (an adventure in itself).

The site is extremely hard to navigate and take a bit of patience.

I ordered them direct from the manufacturer for $4.08 each. Since they where so cheap I got 5 just in case I hosed a few up. Shipping was 5 days from China. When you get the module connected make sure to do a WIFI reset via the stove LCD config panel or initialization of the module will not take place and will be undiscoverable during the provisioning phase when adding the device to the Tuya app.

Once you are logged in look on the left hand side of the menu and click Overview > Sample Store and search for "JWBR2S-5V Wi-Fi&BLE Dual Mode Converter" add a few to your cart and complete the checkout (an adventure in itself).

Thanks, You're awesome. I looked at the one you ordered and also found this, TYJW2S-5V-BL Wi-Fi Module, which looks like more of an exact match to what I have. I don't know enough to know the difference but figured it's worth mentioning. It's $3.70.

Of note is that a friend of mine in home automation thinks I just got lucky with mine and that they have to be flashed with the right code to be detected properly. He says he'll verify that when he goes to my place next time and show me how to back it up and flash it to new chips if that's the case. Either way, I'll keep you updated and if needed I'll share the flashing file he pulls ....if he's right.

Reactions: suroot

I'm having a real tough time ordering the pieces from them. When I try to submit any order for either of the parts I get an error message saying "The product firmware has not been released and production orders cannot be placed." Any advice?

I also have a D1 Mini from another project I plan on connecting to see what happens and 2 TYWE3s chips I may try to solder and replace the TYWE2S chip and see if that makes any difference.

I can control mine just fine but feel irrationally compelled to find a solution with easier to find parts. After that I'd sure like to figure out how to change the language to English.

Either way, I'll be back at my place with the stove in 2 weeks and will see what else may work. :)

The website is something else. Need an engineering degree to figure it out. I am able to get the items into my card and proceed through the checkout process without the error message via the "Sample Store"

If your stove has the option of connecting an external wired thermostat (normally open contacts), then you can use any WiFi thermostat (Nest, Ecobee, Honeywell....) to control your stove remotely.
can you tell me what thermostats are able to hook up directly to the HP 22n I talked to comfort built and they said that this unit is compatible but I don't know which ones would work

I'm having a real tough time ordering the pieces from them. When I try to submit any order for either of the parts I get an error message saying "The product firmware has not been released and production orders cannot be placed." Any advice?

I also have a D1 Mini from another project I plan on connecting to see what happens and 2 TYWE3s chips I may try to solder and replace the TYWE2S chip and see if that makes any difference.

I can control mine just fine but feel irrationally compelled to find a solution with easier to find parts. After that I'd sure like to figure out how to change the language to English.

Either way, I'll be back at my place with the stove in 2 weeks and will see what else may work. :)
how did you get the wire for the Wi-Fi

I talked to comfort bilt you can hook up a external thermostat to mother board and you can hook up a nest to the wire coming out of the motherboard and control the stove remotely through the thermostat

I've also been in contact with the manufacturer of the stove and they showed me the exact Wi-Fi module that is supposed to be used for the HP 22n unfortunately the EPA has not approved it and they cannot sell it I looked up this module online and they have it but it says the firmware has not been released so they will not ship it too bad it's only a $4 part

Screenshot_20220114-154714-551.png

Good news, I think I figured out how to order from them after chatting with support.

You first need to create a product, associate the hardware and then order it for testing:
- Go to Product, then Development and then Create
- I selected Small Home Appliance and then Heater
- Then you go to Hardware Development and Select Hardware
- I selected the 5V TYJW2S and then you can do Buy Now and it lands in your cart
- From there you can check out without error

Hope this helps.

you lost me at hard ware development....

I did everything you said selected small appliance heater I don't know what to do after that it says select the smart mode

Sorry, took some shortcuts.....then select TuyaOS, then I went with Heater (not HomeKit), entered some names and selected WiFi. Then create.....and then just OK

Under Hardware Development you can now select the module and then buy it.....

hahaha dude .. dude... dude.

do you work for comfort bilt ?

how you know all this?

you are awesome.

my stove was delivered and the company that dropped it off was nightmare I'm trying to get it up and running. I needed some parts I said to the guy hook me up with a wifi mod. but now I don't think I need one ahaha. thank you. this is the first time I've used an online thread like this and I was shocked to see that you guys's comments were recent and I made an account and joined the conversation and I really think we got something going here

Good news, I think I figured out how to order from them after chatting with support.

You first need to create a product, associate the hardware and then order it for testing:
- Go to Product, then Development and then Create
- I selected Small Home Appliance and then Heater
- Then you go to Hardware Development and Select Hardware
- I selected the 5V TYJW2S and then you can do Buy Now and it lands in your cart
- From there you can check out without error

Hope this helps.
I got the Wi-Fi chips today but I was told by comfort built that the data cable that goes to the display is the same as the one that goes to the Wi-Fi chip but the display plug is slightly bigger than the plug on the Wi-Fi chip how do I get a smaller plug

Hi, I'm new to the forums and pellet stoves but regarding electronics I'm a jack of all trades and a master of none. :)

If your schedule is simple you may want to utilize the weekly schedule options in the stove menu under General Settings. That information is in the manual.

That said, I too am looking to enable wifi on my Comfortbilt HP22N stove for my place in Mammoth Lakes which is a 5-6 hour drive every Friday evening. I'd like the place warmed up when the wife and kids enter.

I took the control box apart and see there is a 4 pin connector labeled WIFI and a breakout spot right behind it for easy access which I'm going to try to use. In the U.S. I believe manufacturers are not allowed to enable it as per EPA something something global warming blah, blah, blah. I've purchased a Tuya WIFI module TYJW2S-5V-BL and will try hooking it up this weekend.

My assumption is that I'll be able to follow the standard Tuya procedures for connecting it to my wifi and then use my app of choice to control it. The circuit board does not appear proprietary.

The next part will be enabling remote access. While the app may solve this if it's cloud based I'll probably either try to use my Hubitat home control device to interact with it or I'll set up a Raspberry pi zero to run a server I can log into via a browser.

I'll keep you updated but it is likely to be a long process because I'm only up there on weekends and skiing/snowboarding/snowmobiling/snowkiting take priority. :)

View attachment 286690

16434843544956095733892172732584.jpg

I have the wifi chip and the wire connectors how do I know what wire goes where? they are the same colors but how do I know what ones are power and transmission
Don't have my stove installed so can't test yet. My first guess would be for the pinout to be the same as on the wifi board. If no-one here posts it by the time I need to install it, I will take a multimeter and search for the ground and +5v pair. After that its a 50% chance to get RX and TX right.....

You mentioned in another post that we could use an external thermostat and mentioned a " wire coming out of the motherboard". Which wire is that do you recall?

Thanks.