Newbie - help. WIFI possible for Comfortbilt pellet stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Sheetmetal0530!

Oct 15, 2021
Santa Fe, NM
Hello All - Newbie here. Love my Comfortbilt pellet stove. But I'm in need of a way to utilize wifi to remote control - wifi t-stat? I drivve at least an hour each way to work - would like to use a wifi app to start my stove when leaving work.... is this possible?

Reactions: plstearns

plstearns

Nov 29, 2021
Mammoth Lakes, CA
Hello All - Newbie here. Love my Comfortbilt pellet stove. But I'm in need of a way to utilize wifi to remote control - wifi t-stat? I drivve at least an hour each way to work - would like to use a wifi app to start my stove when leaving work.... is this possible?
Hi, I'm new to the forums and pellet stoves but regarding electronics I'm a jack of all trades and a master of none. :)

If your schedule is simple you may want to utilize the weekly schedule options in the stove menu under General Settings. That information is in the manual.

That said, I too am looking to enable wifi on my Comfortbilt HP22N stove for my place in Mammoth Lakes which is a 5-6 hour drive every Friday evening. I'd like the place warmed up when the wife and kids enter.

I took the control box apart and see there is a 4 pin connector labeled WIFI and a breakout spot right behind it for easy access which I'm going to try to use. In the U.S. I believe manufacturers are not allowed to enable it as per EPA something something global warming blah, blah, blah. I've purchased a Tuya WIFI module TYJW2S-5V-BL and will try hooking it up this weekend.
My assumption is that I'll be able to follow the standard Tuya procedures for connecting it to my wifi and then use my app of choice to control it. The circuit board does not appear proprietary.

The next part will be enabling remote access. While the app may solve this if it's cloud based I'll probably either try to use my Hubitat home control device to interact with it or I'll set up a Raspberry pi zero to run a server I can log into via a browser.

I'll keep you updated but it is likely to be a long process because I'm only up there on weekends and skiing/snowboarding/snowmobiling/snowkiting take priority. :)

WIFI on comfortbilt stove.jpg

tlc1976

Minister of Fire
Oct 7, 2012
Northwest Lower Michigan
If your stove has a remote control, you can use a BroadLink RM4. Program the stove remote into it, and you can control it from anywhere through your phone. Get one with the temp/humidity sensor and you can monitor those through your phone too. That’s what I use, start the stove maybe an hour before I leave work, shut it off mid morning when the sun comes out and the house starts warming up, etc. Or start it when I get a notification I’ve set, that the temperature has dropped below 60.

I also use a cheap WiFi camera with microphone pointed at the stove, for assurance that it started up or shut down properly, or there isn’t anything abnormal going on.

Last edited: