Newbie - help. WIFI possible for Comfortbilt pellet stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
What chip are people using? I can’t find any of the referenced part numbers on Tuya or even google really. Thanks

DC93890B-4625-4A40-88B5-795A7D91DA6C.png

Thanks. That part is unavailable anywhere anymore - I can only find documentation. Tuya does not have that product available for dev samples anymore. They are pushing their sandwich dev kits now. I was finally able to find the JWBR2S-5V mentioned in another earlier post. It should hopefully be very similar and I'll try it out and match up the pinouts between the two when they come in.

Reactions: suroot
Thanks. That part is unavailable anywhere anymore - I can only find documentation. Tuya does not have that product available for dev samples anymore. They are pushing their sandwich dev kits now. I was finally able to find the JWBR2S-5V mentioned in another earlier post. It should hopefully be very similar and I'll try it out and match up the pinouts between the two when they come in.
If you can't get the new module to work I have a few extra's I bought in case I fried on on my bench. I will throw it in a envelope and send it out to you for free.

Reactions: ABusWrench
If you can't get the new module to work I have a few extra's I bought in case I fried on on my bench. I will throw it in a envelope and send it out to you for free.
Thanks. Digging into it more, the pinouts should be the same, but the chip is different. The one you have is an ESP based chip, the one I ordered appears to be a WBR1 that Tuya developed and uses a different chip. The WBR1 isn't compatible with Tasmota. We'll see.

Got the new module in - Tuya JWBR2S-5V. Pinout is exactly the same as in the pictures above. IT WORKS!

For reference, the connector on the comfortbuilt board is a JST_XHP 2.54mm pitch - I just happened to have some. The connector on the Tyua is different, so I soldered directly.

There seems to be a bug in the programming though - not sure if it's just me or maybe it's the difference in the board. I have it set to Fahrenheit, the room temp shows up correctly (71*F), but the temp setting shows as 22*F. Modifying the temperature in the Tuya app actually does change the display to match, and it looks like it stops at 30, so I can't really see a way to make this work.

Also - it doesn't seem to shut off in temp mode. I had "wifi on", set it to 71 on the display, shows up at 22*F in the app, and it doesn't stop. I believe there really is some disconnect between Fahrenheit and Celsius in the coding of the stove.

Just me?

IMG_0147.PNG

Last edited:
Got the new module in - Tuya JWBR2S-5V. Pinout is exactly the same as in the pictures above. IT WORKS!

For reference, the connector on the comfortbuilt board is a JST_XHP 2.54mm pitch - I just happened to have some. The connector on the Tyua is different, so I soldered directly.

There seems to be a bug in the programming though - not sure if it's just me or maybe it's the difference in the board. I have it set to Fahrenheit, the room temp shows up correctly (71*F), but the temp setting shows as 22*F. Modifying the temperature in the Tuya app actually does change the display to match, and it looks like it stops at 30, so I can't really see a way to make this work.

Also - it doesn't seem to shut off in temp mode. I had "wifi on", set it to 71 on the display, shows up at 22*F in the app, and it doesn't stop. I believe there really is some disconnect between Fahrenheit and Celsius in the coding of the stove.

Just me?

View attachment 301960
I am seeing the same behavior.

So after some chatting with Comfortbilt's support, they are investigating ways to improve the home automation of the stove to make it more functional.

I connected a wifi thermostat up to it, and while that works, it shuts down the stove when the call for heat is done. So it works the same as eco mode.

There are only two things to do right now is really leave it in manual mode on level 1 and use the wifi to increase or decrease the level. Or use an learning infrared transmitter that's wifi controlled and a camera to remotely increase and monitor the stove. Don't like that option at all.

Thank you to everyone in this thread! I was able to successfully purchase and install the Tuya board. I removed the original connector and soldered on a standard PH2.0. I 3D printed a little case that let me mount the board to the rest of the control board assembly (photos and STLs attached).

I got it to connect properly with the Tuya app, but I really was not comfortable letting my stove connect to the internet. I tried this integration for Home Assistant called LocalTuya however it did not work. I figured out that it did not support the Tuya 3.4 protocol the board was using. I then tried this fork which worked however could not be configured to work fully with the stove. I created a fork here that will let you setup a climate entity, child lock switch, and alarm sensor (at least for low temp and ignition failure, which are the only 2 I found so far).

I'm pretty happy with this setup. I am able to control my stove from Home Assistant without having it connect to any cloud service. The only issue I've found is that I can't set the intensity in manual mode, however that seems to be a limitation with the stove and not the local implementation itself.

Board in Mount.jpg Mounted Board.jpg

Attachments

• Case Files.zip
    10.9 KB · Views: 119
Thank you to everyone in this thread! I was able to successfully purchase and install the Tuya board. I removed the original connector and soldered on a standard PH2.0. I 3D printed a little case that let me mount the board to the rest of the control board assembly (photos and STLs attached).

I got it to connect properly with the Tuya app, but I really was not comfortable letting my stove connect to the internet. I tried this integration for Home Assistant called LocalTuya however it did not work. I figured out that it did not support the Tuya 3.4 protocol the board was using. I then tried this fork which worked however could not be configured to work fully with the stove. I created a fork here that will let you setup a climate entity, child lock switch, and alarm sensor (at least for low temp and ignition failure, which are the only 2 I found so far).

I'm pretty happy with this setup. I am able to control my stove from Home Assistant without having it connect to any cloud service. The only issue I've found is that I can't set the intensity in manual mode, however that seems to be a limitation with the stove and not the local implementation itself.

View attachment 304333 View attachment 304334
Wow you’re pretty talented. I wish I had success. I’m using BroadLink remote but hate it never know what state the stove is in. Is there a way I could buy one of the wire set ups and a case from you?

On the stove there is a connection for a thermostat. Using a wireless thermostat you can accomplish this. Many have done it before, search button tells a lot

Reactions: WoodChopper92
Thanks everyone for your time and effort put into these posts and making the connection work! I recently received one of the newer JWBR2S-5V PCBs from Tuya and successfully got it paired to the tuya smart app. I’m seeing the same issues as others with C and F being confused. I am not smart enough to figure out how to fix this, but for now I have wifi connectivity so it’s a start!

Hello,
I'm attempting to get the wifi module made on Tuya and it is asking for a firmware, and nothing is coming up under "associated firmware." Does anyone have a firmware file or any other suggestions to add wifi? I've read through the whole thread and I got as far as selecting the JWBRS-5V, but it won't let me buy now without a firmware. Thank you!

Hello,
I'm attempting to get the wifi module made on Tuya and it is asking for a firmware, and nothing is coming up under "associated firmware." Does anyone have a firmware file or any other suggestions to add wifi? I've read through the whole thread and I got as far as selecting the JWBRS-5V, but it won't let me buy now without a firmware. Thank you!
For what it's worth I ran into that today. I created an empty file and uploaded it.

Open notepad and save an empty file as comfortbilt.bin and the "Save as Type" should be set to "All Files" so it shows up as a .bin file.

I uploaded that file and it was happy.

That allowed me to make the order. When I receive my new pieces I'll see if that makes any difference of course. :)

Hello. Thank you all for your help. I have successfully added the chip
To the stove. It’s Chinese. Doesn’t work perfect but best so far. However. I connected it thru smart life app. And Alexa won’t see my stove. It can see it thru BroadLink but not the Tuya app or smart life. I have home assistant and it is working thru there but not Alexa

Tuya will not ship to me now because they do not have a firmware. Does anyone know what to do about this? Please help

**It aske for a firmware when I ordered and I didn't have one so I uploaded a blank file called firmware.bin to "trick" them but that was a fool's errand.