Newbie here, storage before hookup

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Cbenner

Jul 25, 2021
Ohio
I recently inherited a Earth Rancher 365 OWB. It was running when I picked the unit up, when we moved the unit there was some rust flowing out once unhooked. It’s about 6 years old. It’s going to be a few months before I install the unit and I’m pretty sure there is still a bit of water in the unit. I don’t want it sitting and rusting more than it has. I siphoned out what I could. Would you do a small burn to dry it out?
Then I plan on putting it in the barn until I get exchangers and piping are in.

I'd check to see exactly where the water is and whether the stove is still airtight.

Use a towel to soak up the moisture, then close off the flue and air intakes (plastic bags with tape), buy damprid put it in the stove, close the door (make sure it's tight - use the dollar bill test, have to do that anyway before you use the stove).

I would give it a very thorough inspection now so you don't have surprises later but can buy necessary parts now.

Reactions: sloeffle
I'd check to see exactly where the water is and whether the stove is still airtight.

Use a towel to soak up the moisture, then close off the flue and air intakes (plastic bags with tape), buy damprid put it in the stove, close the door (make sure it's tight - use the dollar bill test, have to do that anyway before you use the stove).

I would give it a very thorough inspection now so you don't have surprises later but can buy necessary parts now.
Ok, that makes sense. Can you explain the dollar bill test?
The fire box is dry, I had taped up the flu.
I’m talking water left in the water jacket that is around the burn box.

Im assuming the OP is referring to water inside the jacket? If so it's a good question. Filling it up with properly treated water would be the correct solution, not?

Reactions: Bad LP
The dollar bill test: take a dollar bill, put it on the door gasket, close the door and pull the bill out. You should have to pull a bit, indicating that the gasket is properly compressed. If it slides out without friction, the gasket may need replacement or the door needs adjustment.

For water in the jacket, drain as much as possible, fill with whatever the manual says you should operate with and close. I'd fill and drain on e more to wash out most debris if you see any.

Reactions: sloeffle