Newbie in cold climate looking for advice on what to install/upgrade

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like poor draft. This could be negative pressure, not untypical in a basement install. If this is the case another stove could have the same problem. What type of chimney does the stove connect to? What is the ID of this chimney? Also this could be an altitude issue. You need more chimney height at 6000 ft. How tall is it?

Ok, here are the chimney measurements. Distances are as specified, to the top of the pipe opening (not the top of the chimney cap). I do not see any marking on the pipe themselves, but I have manuals. But neither distinguish which is which, but both are the same type/grade. One or both are Security Chimney, ASHT High Temperature (to 2100 degrees), Type HT. On the interior, the Scan 61 pipe has "Made in Canada" stamped on it. Security Chimney is Canadian.

Upstairs (where Vermont Casting is) - 8" diameter pipe.

20' - 4" from floor grade, or 17' - 4" from stove vent. Straight up, no bends.

It is 3 or 4 foot over highest portion of roof top (on the side where the prevailing winds come from, thus far).

Downstairs (Scan 61) - 6" diameter pipe.

26' - 8" from floor grade, or 23' - 8" from rear stove vent. One 35 degree bend, about 20 inches length, about 20 inches after stove rear vent, then straight up.

It is 2' over the highest portion of roof top, on the opposite side of the prevailing winds (so the little high portion of roof is between it and the prevailing winds).

Some pics attached. Does the Scan's pipe look sufficient?

Attachments

• Downstairs pipe 26-8.JPG
    Downstairs pipe 26-8.JPG
    146.9 KB · Views: 147
  • Downstairs pipe crest over roof.JPG
    Downstairs pipe crest over roof.JPG
    125.2 KB · Views: 115
  • Downstairs pipe base.JPG
    Downstairs pipe base.JPG
    151.1 KB · Views: 118
The piping sounds adequate but it looks pretty sooty. Remove the cap and check the screen.

It does look sooty, but it is clean. I brushed it real good from top-down. Not a whole lot came out the bottom. I believe it's sooty because the stove doesn't burn well, or the previous owner didn't burn it right (or a combo). There isn't a screen on this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.