Newbie looking for advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

OmegaNorth

Feb 2, 2020
Maine
First I should thank all who contribute to this wonderful website! I have been binge reading threads ever since I found it on a google search.

I am looking for advice and opinions on the following stoves and brands that are available to me.

1. BK King Classic
  2. Jotul F 500 V3 Oslo
  3. Lopi Liberty
  4. Regency Pro Series F5200
I believe all of these stoves have a catalyst, and that is something that worries me a little having never burned with one. But I am willing to learn for the sake of a clean and efficient burn. I have included more information about how and where my new stove will be used below, in a nutshell it will not be my only source of heat but I would like to be able to heat the whole house if necessary.

More Info/Backstory

My wife and I purchased a 60 acre homestead in Central Maine and have been renovating the old farmhouse that was built in the mid to late 1800's. There is around 2800sqft that we have gutted back to the studs, replaced joists, beams, all the sills, windows and doors, new mineral wool, ect.

This is the spot we have decided to plant our flag, so we are trying to think long term. We have already purchased a 30k multi-head mini-split heat pump with a head on the first floor and another on the second, both floors have an open floor plan. There will be a pellet stove installed in the unfinished basement (dirt foor and granite block foundation of course.)

To help warm our hands while working we pulled a Morso 1125 from my Dad's barn and installed a thimble into the existing masonry chimney on the first floor. This is only temporary and we are planning on investing in a more efficient stove with a glass door to view the fire. I don't foresee the wood stove being our primary source of heat, but rather a supplement to the heat pumps and pellet stove. I do want a stove that can take over if we lose power or if the heatpumps can't find any heat in the cold.

Thanks for reading!

The Lopi Liberty is not a cat stove the other 3 are and they are cleaner burning, BK and the Regency have a bigger firebox I believe the Jotul is smaller.

I'm going to a Lopi/Jotul dealer tomorrow to check out the Oslo and Lopi Endeavor. The dealer told me they haven't come out with the new EPA approved Liberty yet. I would like a cleaner burn I am just worried about replacing a Cat every couple years. I do love the look of the Jotul stoves.

I'm going to a Lopi/Jotul dealer tomorrow to check out the Oslo and Lopi Endeavor. The dealer told me they haven't come out with the new EPA approved Liberty yet. I would like a cleaner burn I am just worried about replacing a Cat every couple years. I do love the look of the Jotul stoves.
If it were me I would stay away from the jotul for a little while. It is a new unproven design it may be fantastic we just don't know. The lopi is a good basic stove that is a proven performer.

The other 2 are both good. Much larger and both require an 8" stack. The only benifit of the regency is aesthetics. If you don't mind the looks of the bk that is what I would recommend. The 5200 works very well but the thermostatic control on the bk definitely sets it apart from the rest

Reactions: showrguy
I have a Jotul F400 and love it. My in-laws in southern Maine in a two story with poured concrete basement pre built, late 1980s or early 90s house that’s about 2600 sq feet, have too. We went a few days without power with them when it got down to the teens at night. Main floor stayed livable upstairs bedrooms got down to the high forties the last night. The F500 would have made a difference then but for that one week when we were visiting, the smaller stove has served them very well.
I love the looks of the Jotuls BKs not so much. I see the real advantage of the BK is the ability to burn low and slow for extended periods. But this happens also to be when the heat pumps are most efficient.

I would consider the space the stove is going on. I find myself burning for ambience quite a bit because the stove is in the room we spend a LOT of time in. A quick fire with a half load of wood still looks great. A BK just doesn’t set that mood for me.
I don’t think the pre 2020 and post 2020 burning efficiency or cleanness difference will ever be noticed by individuals. So that would not factor into my decision.
I decided I did not want to mess with a catalytic converter. That narrowed my choices.

mid I were to be looking to buy a stove right now and didn’t NEED it right away a I would be waiting a year or two just to see what new models come out and how they are performing. I can’t imagine that Jotul won’t have a replacement for the F400 or the F600 in the coming year(s). Cat free 2020 models are on sale now, So seeing if Jotul has one coming out would be worth the wait For me. If I couldn’t wait I’d go with F500. Burning wood is a lot of work especially if you are cutting splitting and stacking yourself and you a have a brand new efficient heat pump to shoulder some of that burden. So I would not be as concerned about the smaller size of the F500.

My assessment is none of those are bad choices. Check you have room from an 8” insulated liner. Get what makes you happiest.
Evan

If it were me I would stay away from the jotul for a little while. It is a new unproven design it may be fantastic we just don't know. The lopi is a good basic stove that is a proven performer.

The other 2 are both good. Much larger and both require an 8" stack. The only benifit of the regency is aesthetics. If you don't mind the looks of the bk that is what I would recommend. The 5200 works very well but the thermostatic control on the bk definitely sets it apart from the rest
I read that all the time about the look of the blaze king, I am I the only person that likes the look of the BK? LOL when I was looking for inserts I really wanted 2 BK princesses not just for the performance but I think they are really cool looking, kind of a mid century modern look like a malm or pre-way cone fireplace.

Reactions: Twigster
I have a Jotul F400 and love it. My in-laws in southern Maine in a two story with poured concrete basement pre built, late 1980s or early 90s house that’s about 2600 sq feet, have too. We went a few days without power with them when it got down to the teens at night. Main floor stayed livable upstairs bedrooms got down to the high forties the last night. The F500 would have made a difference then but for that one week when we were visiting, the smaller stove has served them very well.
I love the looks of the Jotuls BKs not so much. I see the real advantage of the BK is the ability to burn low and slow for extended periods. But this happens also to be when the heat pumps are most efficient.

I would consider the space the stove is going on. I find myself burning for ambience quite a bit because the stove is in the room we spend a LOT of time in. A quick fire with a half load of wood still looks great. A BK just doesn’t set that mood for me.
I don’t think the pre 2020 and post 2020 burning efficiency or cleanness difference will ever be noticed by individuals. So that would not factor into my decision.
I decided I did not want to mess with a catalytic converter. That narrowed my choices.

mid I were to be looking to buy a stove right now and didn’t NEED it right away a I would be waiting a year or two just to see what new models come out and how they are performing. I can’t imagine that Jotul won’t have a replacement for the F400 or the F600 in the coming year(s). Cat free 2020 models are on sale now, So seeing if Jotul has one coming out would be worth the wait For me. If I couldn’t wait I’d go with F500. Burning wood is a lot of work especially if you are cutting splitting and stacking yourself and you a have a brand new efficient heat pump to shoulder some of that burden. So I would not be as concerned about the smaller size of the F500.

My assessment is none of those are bad choices. Check you have room from an 8” insulated liner. Get what makes you happiest.
Evan
I have always liked jotuls and they were always durable reliable heaters. All but their last attempt at a cat stove which was a disaster. This time they may have it right. But personally I would want to wait to find out about it's durability.

Reactions: Woody Stover
I read that all the time about the look of the blaze king, I am I the only person that likes the look of the BK? LOL when I was looking for inserts I really wanted 2 BK princesses not just for the performance but I think they are really cool looking, kind of a mid century modern look like a malm or pre-way cone fireplace.
The malm and preways follow the basic rules of proportion used in good design. To me the bk king and princess look like bad 70s designs that completely ignore the basic design fundamentals. The inserts and ones on pedestals don't look as bad as the ones on leggs but still not good. But to each their own. They are fantastic with regard to performance as well.

I always felt the same way bout the Princess. Thought (and still do) they were kinda ugly. But I wanted one for the performance aspect. When I showed my wife she really liked the looks of it. So each their own. She was happy with the looks and I got the performance.

Reactions: bholler
I always felt the same way bout the Princess. Thought (and still do) they were kinda ugly. But I wanted one for the performance aspect. When I showed my wife she really liked the looks of it. So each their own. She was happy with the looks and I got the performance.

I don't mind the look of the BK Princess/King models. My wife likes the look of the Jotul. I think any stove with glass looks nice once the fire is rip roaring. I didn't know Jotul had issues with their catalytic models; It may be wise to wait. I am starting to think the slightly smaller Lopi Endeavor might be a good option as well. I'm not sure it would keep the second floor toasty by itself, but with the heat pumps to help it shouldn't be an issue.

Thank you to everyone for your advice!

I don't mind the look of the BK Princess/King models. My wife likes the look of the Jotul. I think any stove with glass looks nice once the fire is rip roaring. I didn't know Jotul had issues with their catalytic models; It may be wise to wait. I am starting to think the slightly smaller Lopi Endeavor might be a good option as well. I'm not sure it would keep the second floor toasty by itself, but with the heat pumps to help it shouldn't be an issue.

Thank you to everyone for your advice!
Jotul had problems the last time they tried it. This is a completely new model so we have no idea how it will hold up. It may turn out to be great

To the OP. I just returned from a road trip in Arkansas, Tennessee and Georgia.
On average, across the 3 states, dealers had between 12-15 Step 1 heaters. Two dealers had more than 100 units. On average, retail prices were 40-50% discounted for Step 1 models. As the May 15th deadline does not effect Step 2 heaters, I observed none were discounted.
I did of course see some Blaze King. Including some King models, discounted as they were our Step 1 version, the KE1107.

Look for a good deal on the stove of your choice.

And just to prove that old stock is being liquidated, here are some very old retro images a dealer found in his warehouse.
20200204_103446.jpg20200204_103412.jpg

Reactions: jetsam and SpaceBus
Those stoves are a blast from the past! So cool to see something old in new condition. Thanks for that advice, I will make sure to ask the dealer about Step 1 stoves for sale.

First I should thank all who contribute to this wonderful website! I have been binge reading threads ever since I found it on a google search.

I am looking for advice and opinions on the following stoves and brands that are available to me.

1. BK King Classic
  2. Jotul F 500 V3 Oslo
  3. Lopi Liberty
  4. Regency Pro Series F5200
I believe all of these stoves have a catalyst, and that is something that worries me a little having never burned with one. But I am willing to learn for the sake of a clean and efficient burn. I have included more information about how and where my new stove will be used below, in a nutshell it will not be my only source of heat but I would like to be able to heat the whole house if necessary.

More Info/Backstory

My wife and I purchased a 60 acre homestead in Central Maine and have been renovating the old farmhouse that was built in the mid to late 1800's. There is around 2800sqft that we have gutted back to the studs, replaced joists, beams, all the sills, windows and doors, new mineral wool, ect.

This is the spot we have decided to plant our flag, so we are trying to think long term. We have already purchased a 30k multi-head mini-split heat pump with a head on the first floor and another on the second, both floors have an open floor plan. There will be a pellet stove installed in the unfinished basement (dirt foor and granite block foundation of course.)

To help warm our hands while working we pulled a Morso 1125 from my Dad's barn and installed a thimble into the existing masonry chimney on the first floor. This is only temporary and we are planning on investing in a more efficient stove with a glass door to view the fire. I don't foresee the wood stove being our primary source of heat, but rather a supplement to the heat pumps and pellet stove. I do want a stove that can take over if we lose power or if the heatpumps can't find any heat in the cold.

Thanks for reading!
I just had a Jotul F500 V3 installed this week. Jotul has a 20 year warranty on the Cat which is part of the reason I went with the stove. I’ve been running the stove since it was installed and it is a breeze to run. The only setting you have is the primary air in the front.

I went to visit a local Jotul/Lopi/PE dealer today and got to get my hands on a couple models. I initially wanted to go with the largest stove possible to be able to heat the whole house, but after considering the pellet stove in the basement and heat pumps throughout the house, we decided a medium sized stove would be better. The stove will also be close to the entrance to my office space so a smaller stove will allow me to build a smaller hearth pad.

I am now looking at the Jotul F400 Castine, Pacific Energy Vista LE, and Lopi Republic 1250. I also looked at the Lopi Answer, but the republic was on sale and I like the fact you have a spot to cook on the top if needed. I still have yet to get hands on with Blaze King, but I am wondering if they have a smaller stove with less depth. The Jotuls are beautiful stoves but I do wonder about burn times and efficiency.

Oh no, you found bholler's secret weakness! ;lol

My wife said my princess looked "industrial" when we put it in. Since the first cold day, it has looked fine ever since. ;)

To the OP. I just returned from a road trip in Arkansas, Tennessee and Georgia.
On average, across the 3 states, dealers had between 12-15 Step 1 heaters. Two dealers had more than 100 units. On average, retail prices were 40-50% discounted for Step 1 models. As the May 15th deadline does not effect Step 2 heaters, I observed none were discounted.
I did of course see some Blaze King. Including some King models, discounted as they were our Step 1 version, the KE1107.

Look for a good deal on the stove of your choice.

And just to prove that old stock is being liquidated, here are some very old retro images a dealer found in his warehouse. View attachment 256689View attachment 256690

I like to think that at no point in my life would I have ever said, "Hey, a sheet metal open fireplace, what a great idea!" ;lol

At first glance I thought that the yellow elbow sitting in the firebox in that one photo was part of the unit, which was even more alarming .

This is the spot we have decided to plant our flag
==c
1581207274412.png

I do want a stove that can take over if we lose power or if the heatpumps can't find any heat in the cold.
I might go for a bigger stove in that case. OTOH since you've gutted the place, I assume you are upping the level of insulation and air-sealing. A smaller stove may work well.
just worried about replacing a Cat every couple years.
They generally go about three years of full-time burning in average heat-load areas. 10-12K hours. If you supplement with the heat pump, they may go longer. Or you might like to heat with wood on a more regular basis, if you end up enjoying it.
That's my view. If no one is at home for long periods each day to tend the stove, then the BK thermostat would make sense, since it opens up the air later in the burn, keeps the heat coming, and burns the coals down more so you are ready to load when you get home.
As far as the low-output burn, maybe it would be adequate in a tight wood-heated house some of the time, but not needed if you have a heat pump for mild weather. Really, even with no heat pump, a short, hot fire will bump up the heat, and that will last a long time in a house with decent insulation. I don't see the super-low burn to be all that useful, but YMMV.
across the 3 states, dealers had between 12-15 Step 1 heaters. Two dealers had more than 100 units. On average, retail prices were 40-50% discounted for Step 1 models....here are some very old retro images a dealer found in his warehouse.
Yeah, you might try to track down the stove you want in a Step 1 model, contacting distributors maybe, then have it shipped to a nearby dealer. The dealers are wanting you to help them out by taking old stock off their hands, and that may be the only way to get a big discount, I don't know.
I think I would pass on the tee-pee stoves, though. ;lol
I like to think that at no point in my life would I have ever said, "Hey, a sheet metal open fireplace, what a great idea!" ;lol
You just didn't like the "open fireplace" part I guess, since you went ahead and got sheet metal. ;lol

This is hard to believe. With regular use a cat will last about three years.
The dealer and tech at Jotul said they are standing by it. We will see what happens.

The dealer and tech at Jotul said they are standing by it. We will see what happens.
It's probably a marketing ploy. They may only give you one cat, like BK with their 10-yr, then you are on your own. You still might get a pro-rated deal up to 6 yrs. on each new cat. I think my cats have had that but I never called in a warranty; I figured I had gotten the rated number of hours out of them.

Reactions: Amigo Azul
If you sell 1000 stoves, you probably sell 10 to people who put 10k+ hours on a cat in a year. And those are the 10 guys who won't be trying to claim the warranty on it. 500 of those stoves will probably not get 10k hours on them in 50 years.

There's always one, so someone will read the warranty as "FREE CATS FOR LIFE", but I bet the warranty still makes sense financial sense for manufacturers.

One of the most commonly-stated objections to buying a cat stove is the expense of replacing cats (as if most stove buyers will even ever do that), so they're trying to get out in front of that idea, even if it was kind of a silly idea in the first place.

I mean, the stove manufacturers do not even manufacture cats, and they are putting 10 and 20 year warranties on these sort-of-consumable items that other companies make. That speaks to the number of people who think that you have to shell out for a new one every season.

we decided a medium sized stove would be better.
-------------------
Pacific Energy Vista LE, and Lopi Republic 1250.
I don't think most people would put 1.6cf stoves in the medium size category.

Reactions: Woody Stover
Read the fine print print on that warranty, I have a PE Summit and the lifetime warranty on the baffle is limited to one replacement. Complete Bullchit.

I don't think most people would put 1.6cf stoves in the medium size category.

Ha! I am probably just telling myself they are medium because what I really want is a large stove. Oh well, in a couple years I will probably add one to the basement. I am really looking for a stove that will heat the first floor, so about 1500 sqft. The stove will be in an awkward spot so I am trying to find a good size to heat ratio here.