Newbie pellet pig to the game

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joed2323

Oct 18, 2014
United States
Hows it going guys, im out here in the oil fields of north dakota so i only have a few choices for pellet brands

My local tractor supply has Olympus pellets - 100% natural douglas fir pellets red lettering... Another brand that says on bag
premium hardwood pellet fuel ozarkhardwoodproducts
lignetics- orange lettering , pure western conifer sawdust material

At home depot they are selling Indeck energy wood pellets

I dont have lots of choices i think home depot might have stove chows also.

With my slim pickings which would you guys get, im going to be buying a few tons at a time. They are all about 250/ton

Im leaning to the Olympus or the lignetics but i cant make up my mind

Grab a few bags of each and try them before you commit to tons. Every stove burns different and what some say works great in their stove others say is junk in theirs.

It is widely said and agreed here that softwood pellets burn hotter and better. I burn hardwood because that is what is readily available around here. I X2 with what JDenyer236 is saying also. Another thing to do is search those brands here and look at the reviews.

You'll also find that pellet brands vary within themselves depending on the run. I'm happy with Lignetics - this year and last. Also, after having tried softwood and blends I'm partial to hardwood.

Only pellets I've used are Somersets and ProPellet. Both hardwood and both are good. Can't tell any difference between the two. Look the same, burn the same, heat the same, etc;

Status
Not open for further replies.