Newbie Question: Minimum Fireplace Size

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Immanence

Nov 13, 2023
SE usa
Hi all,

I'm looking at a Lopi Evergreen insert, and the documentation lists a 'minimum fireplace size.' See here: https://www.lopistoves.com/product/evergreen-nexgen-fyre-insert/#post/0

I am going to have to have a mason clear out a line of bricks in the back to make it deep enough (it is an old coal fireplace), so I want to make sure I am giving the right measurements to the mason. Does minimum fireplace size satisfy the requirements for the total cavity in the fireplace, or do I need additional clearance for space between brick and stove?

I suppose another way of asking the question: is this the minimum space to make it fit or the minimum space to make it firesafe? Because I'll ask the mason to create the latter.

A masonry fireplace needs to have 2 course of full brick (8") to accept a wood-burning insert. Before proceeding, what are the full fireplace dimensions?

A masonry fireplace needs to have 2 course of full brick (8") to accept a wood-burning insert. Before proceeding, what are the full fireplace dimensions?
Thanks @begreen! Measuring from the basement it is 26"x44"

It is pretty big, because it actually has two 'fireplaces' that converge in one chimney. The original layout of the house had a fireplace in the living room and one in the dining room, which sit side-by-side, and the chimney sits between them.

To create more depth, I'd need bricks removed in the direction of the other fireplace, so it is just more brick in that direction.

(I once at the thought of creating a passthrough so I could have some sort of dual sided firebox - but I doubt that is economically feasible - nor do I really need to produce that much heat!)