newbie question: smell from stove or smell from pellets?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CD2011

Aug 28, 2011
Massachusetts
I read another thread about the smell when a new stove is first used, and veteran pellet stove users said the smell would go away after some use.

My question is: Is there a smell from the pellets? Like there is a smell from burning wood, do pellets give off an odor?

My Harmon P43 has been igniting a few times a day, on a low setting, and the smell seems to be getting less and less, which I am guessing is the "new stove" smell going away, but am wondering about the pellets.

Sorry if this question seems ridiculous, especially to you veteran pellet users, but I want to learn!!

thanks!

just wondering said:
I read another thread about the smell when a new stove is first used, and veteran pellet stove users said the smell would go away after some use.

My question is: Is there a smell from the pellets? Like there is a smell from burning wood, do pellets give off an odor?

My Harmon P43 has been igniting a few times a day, on a low setting, and the smell seems to be getting less and less, which I am guessing is the "new stove" smell going away, but am wondering about the pellets.

Sorry if this question seems ridiculous, especially to you veteran pellet users, but I want to learn!!

thanks!

Pellets are wood, how ever unless you are in the habit of manually lighting your stove and keep the door open too long there should never be a wood smoke smell in your house. Outside near the vent (make sure your windows near the vent close tightly and aren't open) you will get a wood smoke smell when the stove starts up.

Now about first burn, if you can that should really be done outside otherwise you'll get a paint curing smell and any oils that may be on the outside of the stove will evaporate causing additional smells.

If you smell wood smoke in the house you need to go leak hunting.

Status
Not open for further replies.