Newbie Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Thelewis1985

Dec 3, 2020
Pittsburgh
I just bought a house with a wood-burning fireplace, that is constructed out of bricks. The fireplace does have glass doors. My question is, does that mean i have some sort of an insert? I was looking to install an insert to improve efficiency and heat production. Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Jim

Conventional fireplaces are net heat robbers due to the amount of room air they suck up their large chimney. Glass doors are often retrofitted to reduce this loss. The best way to turn a fireplace into a heater is to install an insert with a flue liner. An alternative is to put a freestanding stove on the hearth and pipe it to a liner up the fireplace chimney, but that requires an extended hearth and a high enough lintel for the flue piping to pass under.

Yes, it is hard to get much heat from a fireplace. Need to install a wood stove.