newbie questions about installation & buying used

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MotoGuzzi

Nov 23, 2013
seattle
First, thanks for a great forum. I've been reading posts for quite a while. I've spent some time searching and haven't been able to find a similar post, so please redirect me if the questions below are findable elsewhere.

My fireplace has a gas burner installed. Chimney swept/inspected a little less than 2 years ago. I haven’t burned anything other than candles in the fireplace for years. I’m interested in putting in a gas insert w/ blower fans but have been hit by sticker shock. $3000 to $5000 for an insert and $500 to $1000 for installation.

House was built in 1948 with fireplace in living room with chimney running up center of the house.

I did fire up the gas burner last weekend and left it on for a few minutes before shutting the gas line off again.

Now to show my true colors…I’m a closet cheapskate. (My friends would laugh that I’m not fooling anyone). I’d really prefer to do work myself but it is very hard to find a resource that tells what the proper steps are. I assume that is because every installation has its own nuances.

Can I just buy a second hand B-vent insert and connect the existing gas flex line? If the gas burner vented up the chimney, will the B-vent need a liner installed extending up to the roof? Are second hand purchases only ok if equipment has mfg & p/n label in tact?

If I should hire the install out, how do I go about finding an installer in the Seattle area? My assumption is that the local fireplace stores only want their installers working on equipment they have sold.

There are not a lot of second-hand gas units around - very little reason people would be selling them, so that's a tough market.

Small Direct-Vent inserts starting at about 1500 here
http://www.efireplacestore.com/gas-fireplace-inserts.html?sf=0#pagingContents

With B vent or D-vent inserts, you do have to line the chimney - but those materials are inexpensive. You are somewhat correct that you may be able to just replace the gas line with a flex connector and then hook it to the insert - you do need to have an easily accessible shut-off valve, though.

So, with a value insert and all the materials you can end up at less than 2K new......

Great information. thanks for the quick reply. I do see a fair number of used units on Craigslist out here in Seattle.
John

Status
Not open for further replies.