Newbie questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

phantom

Hearth Supporter
Jul 3, 2008
MA
Hi All,

This seems to be a great forum with lots of knowledgeable folks, congrats.

I am going to be getting a Tarm Excel 2000 to replace my aging Burnham oil fired boiler and had a couple questions.

1) Can these Tarm boilers be direct vented as opposed to a chimney? The 2000 is quite a bit larger than the existing boiler and I'd like to relocate it to an outside wall. The current setup is more or less centered in the basement and I'd really like to remove the chimney for more floor space there and more closet space upstairs.

2) Does anyone have a website (preferable) or phone number for the SSTS storage tank folks? I read in a couple other posts they are cheaper to buy directly from. Considering the whole setup is probably going to be close to $20k any money I can save would be great.

thanks in advance

direct vent is a no-no for any solid fuel appliance-- since, even when the power goes out and the power vent stops, the solid fuel keeps combusting

I guess the one thing that may put the lie to my above blanket statement is that some units like the Garn can apparently be vented out a sidewall with a manufactured "metalbestos" type chimney, and then upwards from there; not sure if that'd work with a Tarm, I'm still not sure I'd want to do that in or near a dwelling

I did not realize STSS was in Mechanicsburg!!?? I wonder if they only sell to dealers...I would be happy to make the trip if the price was right!

phantom...you are even closer than I am to them...let us know!?

hi All,

thanks for the replies.

master of sparks, thanks for the website.

Trevor, thanks for the info on the direct vent. I had a feeling that the direct vent was a no go, you and Tarm both confirmed this. Oh well there goes my grand plan for getting rid of the chimney.

Muncybob, I'm actually in Massachusetts so I think you're probably a bit closer ;) I'll probably touch base with them next week though so I'll let you know if they sell retail or not.

thanks

They'll sell direct to you, but you're not going to like the price.

sorry...got my wires crossed...somehow I thought you were in Lancaster, Pa.

Let us know what you find out but appears Eric already knows the answer. Due to pricing and lack of ability to construct something I don't see storage for me in the near future.

Having been through the process, I think that a pressurized propane tank (or tanks) is probably the easiest--and when all is said and done--probably the cheapest alternative for storage. Just like with the boiler, it boils down to moving, placing and piping up a heavy, bulky piece of equipment. My point is that if you're going to have a boiler installed, might as well arrange to do the tank at the same time and be done with it.

An alternative to a propane tank for pressurized storage would be the new tank that New Horizon Corp. recently introduced. It's square and all piped up, though more expensive than an old propane vessel.

Eric, How much is the NewHorizonCorp tank? I see it's insulated, but when you say its all piped up-what do you mean?
I really like the dimensions, looks like something that won't stick out!

To answer my own question the tank is $1,950.00
I spoke with the owner and he seems to be a very honest, knowledgeable, gentleman.
Very nice to talk with. I wish I had known about his site before, I would have bought my boiler from him.

That New Horizon's tank looks interesting. When I originally started planning my install out I hadn't realized just how big the STSS tanks are. For the 620 Gal tank it's got an almost 6 foot diameter, that's huge :(

I have a small ranch house and 6ft in all directions is a a lot of space to give up in my basement. The New Horizon's tank might be a much better fit since it's rectangular and narrow. Can anyone tell me if the New Horizon's tank is pressurized? It doesn't have a lot of info on the site but I'm guessing that it is pressurized since it says 45 PSI max. If it is pressurized is it possible to add solar water heating into the system at a later date?

I would consider building a tank myself but my wife is concerned I don't have the skills to build it safe (i.e. no 500 gal flood of burning hot water) or make it work right.

thanks, Aaron

..edit.. sorry I see that Eric's original on it post mentions it is pressurized.

Hi Eric can you point us to the website? I looked at www.newhorizoncorp.com but didnt see anything about the storage tank.

~ Phil

Status
Not open for further replies.