Newbie questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunterxx12

Dec 13, 2005
Wow - I have spent a good chunk of today reading post from this forum. Great to see so many people trying to help others. I have a couple of questions. I just bought a house with a T4800 Heatilator installed. I would like to use the gas to get the wood burning and gradually shut it off as the wood catches on fire.
Do I need to use an additional screen to prevent burning embers floating onto the carpet besides the screen that is built in?
Is it worth while buying better quality fireplace tools or is the $50 set @ Lowe's adequate?
What are your views on glass doors? Do I need to stick with Heatilator brand doors or are they standard within a certain size range.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated. This is my first gas fireplace that I plan on burning wood.

Hunterxx12 said:
Wow - I have spent a good chunk of today reading post from this forum. Great to see so many people trying to help others. I have a couple of questions. I just bought a house with a T4800 Heatilator installed. I would like to use the gas to get the wood burning and gradually shut it off as the wood catches on fire.
Do I need to use an additional screen to prevent burning embers floating onto the carpet besides the screen that is built in?
Is it worth while buying better quality fireplace tools or is the $50 set @ Lowe's adequate?
What are your views on glass doors? Do I need to stick with Heatilator brand doors or are they standard within a certain size range.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated. This is my first gas fireplace that I plan on burning wood.

For safety, you should only use the Heatilator glass doors. Pre-Fab fireplaces are designed for specific doors and whenever possible generic doors should not be used.

As far as fireplace tools, Lowes probably has decent sets - but fireplace shops have great stuff that is American made like Pilgrim, etc. - Either will work, but just like anything else you can pay more for design and handmade stuff.

If you have a gas started, make certain it is installed correctly with a shut-off in the room, etc. - While I personally don't like these things (mixing wood and gas), they have proven relatively safe over the years.

Status
Not open for further replies.