Bellows Posted By Bellows, May 22, 2019 at 4:33 PM

1. Bellows

Bellows
    New Member 2.
    NULL

May 13, 2019
    Loc:
    Pa
    I purchased a new Madison 2000 square foot wood stove in March. It's finally in and I have two sections of stove pipe to put on it yet.16ft.4 in stove pipe double wall in side triple wall outside. been reading everything I can about this stove so I know how to work it this winter any pointers welcome. I have about a cord and a half of dry seasoned firewood in my garage under 20% moisture.so far. Thanks.

2. CenterTree

CenterTree
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Sep 15, 2008
    Loc:
    SouthWest-Central PA
    Good choice on the double-wall pipe inside with that height.
    Sounds like it could be a cathedral ceiling install.;?

Keep cutting more wood.;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Ludlow

Ludlow
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jun 4, 2018
    Loc:
    PA
    Maybe he is just referring to the total height. We cant tell. His avatar pic doesnt lead me to believe what you are thinking.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Could be the flue system total. With a couple 90º turns this would be functionally more like a 12' flue system and likely needs more chimney.

5. CenterTree

CenterTree
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Sep 15, 2008
    Loc:
    SouthWest-Central PA
    Oh, ok maybe you are right. I was thinking he had got a new stove "finally in" (as it was ordered and it just now arrived at dealer/store). I can't see the tiny avatar on my screen here.:(

Isn't the Madison the one with the "Auto air set back" feature.
    Curious as to how that function actually works out in the real world of usage?

6. Bellows

Bellows
    New Member 2.
    NULL

May 13, 2019
    Loc:
    Pa

7. Bellows

Bellows
    New Member 2.
    NULL

May 13, 2019
    Loc:
    Pa
    Yes it's the total height of the pipe.

1-90 degree elbow 1 tee

8. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    The 2 - 90º turns in the smoke path will effectively reduce the flue system height by about 4-6' due to the resistance of the turns and slowdown of flue gases the horizontal run between the first 90 and the tee. If the stove is balky when burning good dry wood and acts like it needs more air, the problem may be insufficient draft due to the flue system. Local terrain, house construction, chimney location, outdoor temps etc. will also affect draft.

9. Bellows

Bellows
    New Member 2.
    NULL

May 13, 2019
    Loc:
    Pa
    Hottest day of the year curiosity got the best of me. I had to build a little fire to see what it would do. It's 90 degrees out with humidity so bad you don't even want to go outside. She did great she drafted well she burnt fine I was pleased I brought the temperature up to about 300 degrees and then left it go out

10. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Was the AC on full at the same time?

11. Woodsplitter67

Woodsplitter67
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 19, 2017
    Loc:
    Woolwich nj
    Id build up on the wood supply.. like asap.. 1.5 cord is not alot.. most people are burning like 3 to 5 per year..even if you only burn the weekends your going to run out

12. Bellows

Bellows
    New Member 2.
    NULL

May 13, 2019
    Loc:
    Pa
    Yes set on 68 looked good can't wait for winter

13. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    LOL. I'll never understand why folks need to have their houses at 75+ in the winter and then set the AC to 68.

14. Bellows

Bellows
    New Member 2.
    NULL

May 13, 2019
    Loc:
    Pa
    I can't answer that one but I don't know if it would draft as hot as it was outside

15. Bellows

Bellows
    New Member 2.
    NULL

May 13, 2019
    Loc:
    Pa
  16. Bellows

Bellows
    New Member 2.
    NULL

May 13, 2019
    Loc:
    Pa
    I have been up to about 3-1/2 cords so far

17. ColdNorCal

ColdNorCal
    Member 2.
    NULL

Mar 6, 2018
    Loc:
    Nor Cal
    Some of my friends wives insist on that and more like 78 in the winter. Their heat and ac bills are ridiculous.

18. Bellows

Bellows
    New Member 2.
    NULL

May 13, 2019
    Loc:
    Pa
    Not my wife she's going thru changes in life the colder the better lol.

Ludlow likes this.