Newbie to the Englander Madison

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Bellows

May 13, 2019
Pa
I purchased a new Madison 2000 square foot wood stove in March. It's finally in and I have two sections of stove pipe to put on it yet.16ft.4 in stove pipe double wall in side triple wall outside. been reading everything I can about this stove so I know how to work it this winter any pointers welcome. I have about a cord and a half of dry seasoned firewood in my garage under 20% moisture.so far. Thanks.

Good choice on the double-wall pipe inside with that height.
Sounds like it could be a cathedral ceiling install.;?

Keep cutting more wood.;)

Good choice on the double-wall pipe inside with that height.
Sounds like it could be a cathedral ceiling install.;?

Keep cutting more wood.;)

Maybe he is just referring to the total height. We cant tell. His avatar pic doesnt lead me to believe what you are thinking.

Could be the flue system total. With a couple 90º turns this would be functionally more like a 12' flue system and likely needs more chimney.

Last edited:
Maybe he is just referring to the total height. We cant tell. His avatar pic doesnt lead me to believe what you are thinking.
Oh, ok maybe you are right. I was thinking he had got a new stove "finally in" (as it was ordered and it just now arrived at dealer/store). I can't see the tiny avatar on my screen here.:(

Isn't the Madison the one with the "Auto air set back" feature.
Curious as to how that function actually works out in the real world of usage?

Oh, ok maybe you are right. I was thinking he had got a new stove "finally in" (as it was ordered and it just now arrived at dealer/store). I can't see the tiny avatar on my screen here.:(

Isn't the Madison the one with the "Auto air set back" feature.
Curious as to how that function actually works out in the real world of usage?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes it's the total height of the pipe.

1-90 degree elbow 1 tee

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes it's the total height of the pipe.

1-90 degree elbow 1 tee
The 2 - 90º turns in the smoke path will effectively reduce the flue system height by about 4-6' due to the resistance of the turns and slowdown of flue gases the horizontal run between the first 90 and the tee. If the stove is balky when burning good dry wood and acts like it needs more air, the problem may be insufficient draft due to the flue system. Local terrain, house construction, chimney location, outdoor temps etc. will also affect draft.

Hottest day of the year curiosity got the best of me. I had to build a little fire to see what it would do. It's 90 degrees out with humidity so bad you don't even want to go outside. She did great she drafted well she burnt fine I was pleased I brought the temperature up to about 300 degrees and then left it go out

Was the AC on full at the same time?

Yes set on 68 looked good can't wait for winter
LOL. I'll never understand why folks need to have their houses at 75+ in the winter and then set the AC to 68.

LOL. I'll never understand why folks need to have their houses at 75+ in the winter and then set the AC to 68.

Some of my friends wives insist on that and more like 78 in the winter. Their heat and ac bills are ridiculous.