Newbie wants advice on the best placement of new pellet stove...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, second post on this forum, and I must say you guys are awesome! So, here goes with the next one. Just purchased an Englander PDV-25. I haven't installed the stove yet, and before I order the chimney pipe, I'm looking for advice on the best placement for the stove, as the location of the stove will determine which venting pipe I need. I have decided (thanks to all of your advice) that it will be going on the main floor, not in the basement. However, my house is a ranch-style house, therefor it is not terribly open, and has bedrooms down a long hallway. I worry that the heat will not circulate to the furthest bedrooms enough. Actually I know it won't, as the master bedroom was considerably colder last winter, even with the forced air propane furnace. There is a doorway to a deck on the master bedroom, and the heating ducts to the master bedroom are far too small, and have ALOT of bends and corners (can see them from the basement). All this leading to poor heating of the bedroom. SO... with all of that in mind, I think I may have devised a way to get air to circulate back to the furthest bedrooms. First off, there are no return ducts to the furnace anywhere in the house. There are 2 open vents in the living room which air circulates back to the basement, making it's way back to the open furnace filter. I plan to use the circulation feature on the existing furnace to circulate the heat to the back rooms at night, but knowing the master bedroom hardly heats with the forced air furnace, I know it will not be enough with radiant heat circulation from the pellet stove. I've included a diagram of how my house is set up (main floor only) so you all can throw out ideas and advice. Keep in mind, I am not an HVAC professional, but while checking out the ducting situation from the basement, I noticed the cobwebs between the drop ceiling and the air vents in the floor above were going nuts with the circulation fan on, telling me air really is being brought back to the basement through these vents. Which got me thinking if I added return ductwork to the back rooms, this may induce more hot air circulation to those rooms. If air is being sucked back to the furnace from these rooms, maybe the hot air from the pellet stove (which will be in the laundry room or kitchen) will effectively be "sucked" back to those rooms down the hallway. So, if there are return ducts in the back bedrooms, THEORETICALLY, heat will be induced down the hallway, and also be forced into the rooms through the existing heating duct. There are also ceiling fans in the kitchen and 3 largest bedrooms. I may add one to the living room if necessary.

Does any of that seem logical to anyone but me? Like I said, I'm not in the HVAC business, but it just makes sense to me. So the second question is placement of the stove. Ideally, I would like it in the laundry room, as there is plenty of room, and most importantly, I have a 1/2 door across the entry to the laundry room. I have a 2-year-old, and don't want her messing with the stove, obviously. I REALLY don't want it in the living room for that reason, and secondly the noise of the fans may become overwhelming while watching tv. It could go in the kitchen since there is a wall and will drown some of the noise out. And I COULD add some kind of gating around the stove to keep the curious toddler away if I place it in the kitchen. I would PREFER to do a "through the wall" venting, as opposed to through the roof, to keep venting costs down. But I'm open to anything if it will be better in the long-run. So, what do you think? Will this work? Will I have to add return ductwork to all 4 bedrooms, or do you think only adding it to the back 2 rooms is enough?

Attachments

• House diagram.gif
    House diagram.gif
    10.3 KB · Views: 1,971
Are there any other options for where the stove can go? Putting the stove in the laundry room will be a BAD idea, IMO, and the kitchen not much better.

Can it go in the living room, in the corner opposite the doorway to the hall? Facing it caddy-corner will blow the warm air toward the hallway. The exhaust could go out the side wall.

EDIT: Oooops...just caught the part about your 2 year old, but that could be taken care of by a metal "fireplace" grate across the front of the stove.

Yes, I suppose it COULD go in the living room. My reasons for not wanting it there are many. 1- the noise may drown out the tv, 2- toddler curiosity (which can be remedied with a fireplace grate that somehow locks), 3- though the room looks very large (and it is), but with a large bay window that takes up most of the large outside wall, a theatre sectional, love seat, and recliner in the living room, wall space is limited. However, I would really like the "view" of the pellet stove in the living room, as it is aesthetically pleasing. I COULD rearrange the living room, to make it fit. BUT, my concern about the fan blowers drowning out the tv still apply. However, I do have surround sound speakers in a closet- that could remedy that. I suppose the only way to know is from someone who already has this setup. Anyone? And the other concern is to keep the stove on a high enough setting to heat the rest of the house, will it bake us out of the living room?

EDIT: I'm really warming up to your idea (yes, pun intended) of it cornered in the living room, aiming at the hallway. Since that is where most of our time is spent in the day time, it will keep the pellet usage to a minimal usage in the day. And with the circulation fan on the furnace (and return ducting in the back rooms) running at night (or daytime if needed), I believe this should work out well!

I really don't think the laundry room (or kitchen for that matter) are the best locations, and doubt you'll get too many forum members that think it is either. If your house is fairly tight and well insulated, the heat and room air fan settings can be kept low except for the really cold nights, and should help in the noise factor.

BTW, your info doesn't indicate what part of the country you live in.

imacman said:
Are there any other options for where the stove can go? Putting the stove in the laundry room will be a BAD idea, IMO, and the kitchen not much better.

Can it go in the living room, in the corner opposite the doorway to the hall? Facing it caddy-corner will blow the warm air toward the hallway. The exhaust could go out the side wall.

EDIT: Oooops...just caught the part about your 2 year old, but that could be taken care of by a metal "fireplace" grate across the front of the stove.

I thought the same. Either in the corner to blow down the hallway. Or against the wall to blow down the hall. There are many doorway fans and through the wall fans that will equalize the temps throughout your house. we have them for the bedrooms. Used to be about a 5-6 degree difference. Now its about 2 degree's. My Ranch is 70 feet long. Mater bed and Master bath are on the farthest end. Fans help.

Ah yes, very sorry. I live in southwest Wisconsin. Winter gets very cold here, regular single-digit/teens temperature. Usually a few -20 a year as well. I live in a valley (Bear Valley, actually) where wind gets tunneled through pretty harsh. And yes, I do believe I have decided (as yourself and Imacman suggested) the living room to be the best place for it. I think I will be installing a through the wall fan in the wall between the living room and kitchen to get some heat to the kitchen.

Side topic here- what is this pellet pig club I keep seeing? Creative!

longlivethejeep said:

A bunch of crazy, pellet loving forum members who NEVER seem to have enough pellets, nor can they go to a store that has them without at least buying a few bags, or even another ton.....OINK OINK! :cheese:

Hello

Well, I have a split entry home very similar to your home. As was mentioned the kitchen and the laundry room are not good locations for your stove. Also since I did not want the noise and mess in my livingroom plus I did not want to carry 40 lbs of pellets up the stairs every day, I located my stove in the center of the home in the basement! By adding a duct in the livingroom and another duct in the kitchen I can heat my entire house with the wood pellets. NO more oil bills in the winter!!!

So I built a hearth near the homes original chimney and vented my pellet stove into the chimney. Then I installed a double wall stainless steel chimney for our furnace!

This worked really well, our bedrooms do get heat because it rises up the stairwell since I keep the door to the basement open. I could put another duct in the master and end bedroom but we are happy with those rooms a little cooler meaning 68 degrees when the living rooom and kitchen are 72 degrees F.

With the basement install I have 1.5 tons delivered to the basement right near the stove and another 1.5 tons in the garage next to the basement under the house.
This means I only have to carry the 40lb bags a few steps and dump them into the hopper. Sometimes I do spill a few pellets but it is in the basement and can be swept up easily. Also when cleaning the stove, any mess is in the basement and can be cleaned up and is out of reach of the children as well.

You can see my pics in this thread. See Don2222 Congrats on the Avalon Astoria post
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/57422/

I say...laundry room bad (unless you plan to use it to dry laundry, then, not that bad), kitchen...slightly better than laundry room, good for drying herbs, or making jerky, livingroom is optimal. Kids only touch the stove once. If you are in the livingroom, you'll likely have the unit running pretty low, so I dont think the volume level will be as annoying as you might imagine.

imacman said:
longlivethejeep said:

A bunch of crazy, pellet loving forum members who NEVER seem to have enough pellets, nor can they go to a store that has them without at least buying a few bags, or even another ton.....OINK OINK! :cheese:

Dont worry longlivethejeep... You will get the "Sickness" yourself. Wait till you start burning them. I was a Pellet Pig before I ever found this Forum. I will admit that After finding Hearth.com, that my addiction has gotten worse. Give it time and you to could be a BIG PIG one day.. LOL

Ha ha, very much looking forward to being a big pig one day! Well, kind of. I guess by definition, I would prefer NOT to be, since I'll try to conserve pellets as best I can :) But I do understand the addiction already, and it's not even installed! Been researching this damned thing for weeks now!

Don222- I very much like your idea about it being in the basement- less mess in living areas, less stairs to carry bags up (mine is split level as well), no noise in living area... but I doubt the Englander 25 PDV can heat everything (basement and upstairs) effectively in my Wisconsin winters. I believe it is rated for 2200 sq. ft., and even heating only the finished area in the basement and the whole upstairs would be 2700 sq. ft. That may be possible in places a little further south, but we see regular single digit temps, and quite a few sub-zeros. I don't know, it may be possible, but it's a big gamble (chimney installation point/type, installation time) if it doesn't work, and I have to move it in the middle of winter! I do like everyone's suggestion of it being in the living room, though. It really has grown on me. I'm really liking the idea of the warm glow and it's "retro" look. Will make a nice conversation piece if it really does effectively heat our house, as (for whatever reason) pellet stoves are not very popular around here. Everyone seems to have an outdoor wood boiler.

DeltaT- that's what my wife said too when I told her of my concern with it being in the living room- kids only touch it once. But we do have lots of little ones in and out of our house, but that is easily remedied with a gate of some kind when company is here.

So my next question is the hearth pad. Looking them up on ebay, I'm looking at over $500! Am I missing something? Isn't it just a section of ceramic tile on a slightly raised platform? (is there a reason they seem to have an air space under them, and is it necessary?) I was thinking of making my own. Would it be ok to cut out the carpet, and lay ceramic tile (such as kitchen tile) properly thinsetted and mortared right to the subfloor? The purpose of this is only to keep the combustible floor away from stove, correct? However, I've noticed they are usually raised. Am I missing something?

longlivethejeep said:
Ha ha, very much looking forward to being a big pig one day! Well, kind of. I guess by definition, I would prefer NOT to be, since I'll try to conserve pellets as best I can :) But I do understand the addiction already, and it's not even installed! Been researching this damned thing for weeks now!

Don222- I very much like your idea about it being in the basement- less mess in living areas, less stairs to carry bags up (mine is split level as well), no noise in living area... but I doubt the Englander 25 PDV can heat everything (basement and upstairs) effectively in my Wisconsin winters. I believe it is rated for 2200 sq. ft., and even heating only the finished area in the basement and the whole upstairs would be 2700 sq. ft. That may be possible in places a little further south, but we see regular single digit temps, and quite a few sub-zeros. I don't know, it may be possible, but it's a big gamble (chimney installation point/type, installation time) if it doesn't work, and I have to move it in the middle of winter! I do like everyone's suggestion of it being in the living room, though. It really has grown on me. I'm really liking the idea of the warm glow and it's "retro" look. Will make a nice conversation piece if it really does effectively heat our house, as (for whatever reason) pellet stoves are not very popular around here. Everyone seems to have an outdoor wood boiler.

DeltaT- that's what my wife said too when I told her of my concern with it being in the living room- kids only touch it once. But we do have lots of little ones in and out of our house, but that is easily remedied with a gate of some kind when company is here.

So my next question is the hearth pad. Looking them up on ebay, I'm looking at over $500! Am I missing something? Isn't it just a section of ceramic tile on a slightly raised platform? (is there a reason they seem to have an air space under them, and is it necessary?) I was thinking of making my own. Would it be ok to cut out the carpet, and lay ceramic tile (such as kitchen tile) properly thinsetted and mortared right to the subfloor? The purpose of this is only to keep the combustible floor away from stove, correct? However, I've noticed they are usually raised. Am I missing something?

In most cases a certain R-Value must be met. All clearance to combustibles must be met also. So by laying the tile down on wood floor will not work. I believe there has to be Micore, Hardy Backer, or some kind of Non-Flammable Cement board behind the Tile. To meet the R-Value stated (If Englander has one). Others may know more, but to be safe. I would add something else.

you should be able to find something pre-fab that has appropriate R (of K if you go that way) value for less than $5 bills. Hearth Classics (by Yoder) is a decent option, many tiles/stones to pick from, very well made, and not quite the $500.

Thanks for the advice, fellas. I looked it up, and here's what it says:

"Floor Protection:
If your floor is constructed of a non-combustible material such as brick or concrete, there is no
need for floor protection. If the floor is constructed of a combustible material such as hardwood,
linoleum, or carpet, then you will be required to use floor protection between the unit and the
combustible. The protection should be U.L. approved or equivalent and must be large enough to
provide a minimum of one inch (1.0â€) behind, four inches (4.0â€) on both sides of the stove and at
least six inches (6.0â€) in the front of the unit. This floor protection is intended as spark and ember
protection only, therefore it need only be non-combustible (there is no required R value)."

So, it appears it has a built-in stand that takes care of the R-value business. Am I reading that right? If I am, it appears that some tile on the subfloor will work. Right? If so, I will do a foot on all sides, maybe a little more in front even, just to be safe.

I just want to add a HUGE thank you to everyone involved for all of the great advice! If it weren't for you guys, my pellet stove experience could have turned out disappointing by attempting it without the advice from all of you experienced users! You guys have done a great job of giving me answers, or at least pointing me in the right direction of where to find them!

Check out kidco Hearth gates online. They don't look horrible, and can fold to different configurations. They also have a door.

I highly recommend you address the lack of cold air return ducting on your furnace. You will never be satisfied if you end up with an assortment of fans all over the house trying to get heat where you want it.

You imply the basement ceiling is open as you can see the ductwork...it should not be too big a job to add the ducting for a couple of cold air returns, at least one back in the hallway by the bedrooms. This will make your furnace air distribution much more efficient and help move that great pellet heat around the house too.

As an aside...if you also put a cool air pickup near the floor of your basement, you will benefit year round by being able to make use of that cool basement air in the hot summer, and it will keep the basement air much fresher by circulating it.

peirhead said:
I highly recommend you address the lack of cold air return ducting on your furnace. You will never be satisfied if you end up with an assortment of fans all over the house trying to get heat where you want it.

You imply the basement ceiling is open as you can see the ductwork...it should not be too big a job to add the ducting for a couple of cold air returns, at least one back in the hallway by the bedrooms. This will make your furnace air distribution much more efficient and help move that great pellet heat around the house too.

As an aside...if you also put a cool air pickup near the floor of your basement, you will benefit year round by being able to make use of that cool basement air in the hot summer, and it will keep the basement air much fresher by circulating it.

Yes indeed, you are right, sir. In the room in the middle of the house, it is a drywall ceiling (previously a tuck-under garage until transformed into a sauna room by previous owners (they were obsessed with their kids' high school wrestling), but the rest of the basement ceiling is all open or easily accessible. The 2 bedrooms furthest from the kitchen/living room were added on in the mid 90's (1976 built house), and are furthest from the furnace. They also have the smallest heating ducts, and are above a mostly non-heated part of the basement. Poor circulation. That's what made me think to add return ducting in the back rooms. Thank you for verifying that would be appropriate. I believe that is what I will do. Thanks again!

On a complete side note, just read a posting from a very disgruntled HarmAn owner "harmansucks"- I recognized some of the names who tried helping him, also helping me on this thread. Wow, that guy was ignorant! Ah, you guys tried your best. Seemed to me he was more interested in complaining about Eric and Harman's response to his problem, than actually looking for help. What a shame. I have found all the help I have been looking for on here. (couldn't reply to that thread, administrator must have closed comments). I sincerely hope Eric's reputation wasn't hampered by this guy's ignorance in accepting the help he tried offering (though I doubt it.)

peirhead said:

One must be careful putting Cold Air returns or Natural Draft vents in the floor. Check your local codes. Are there people that do it? Yes... BUT. Not being code compliant can be very dangerous in the event (God Forbid) of a house Fire. Your insurance agent should be fully aware of your stove and may want to come out to have a look see as to if its up to code.

Using your Forced air furnace in Circulation mode, does not work as well as you would think (Been there/Tried that). You lose a lot of heat by pulling it through your Cold ducts and trying to reditribute it in other area's of your home. Using one small fan at the end of your hallway (Box Fan/Cheapo from HD) between your Master and the other bedroom, pushing the cold air back (Yes pushing the cold air to warm air is better than oushing warm air to cold) to the stove would get the job done.

We only use 2 Entreeair Fans in the Corner doors to our Master and my Daughters room. My Sons room does not need one. My house is 2,180 sq ft (Thats just the upstairs), the Quad upstairs heats all of that to 76* on its Low setting. The bedrooms without the Fans used to be about 69-70. With fans its only a 2* difference (74*). So heating a whole house without fans can and is done all the time. Englanders have 9 different fan settings. There really not that loud as long as you dont have it cranking.

Just want to be clear that the heat loss if put in your basement will be much more significant and you will burn more pellets (Higher heat setting). Unless your basement is Finished (I know you said it was, But it must be highly insulated too/Thats Finished in my book) you will lose a lot of heat through the floor and the walls. Then there is the "Getting heat where you need it" part again. Easier to move heat to rooms upstairs, when the heat is upstairs. Rather than, getting it upstairs. Then moving to the rooms. The stove will supply a great deal of natural convection. Through the heat it generates and the sheer amount of air that it moves.

Good luck. Cant wait to see it burning.. Do you have any idea's on what kind of pellets are in your area? Always try a few bags to see what your stove likes before making a large purchase.

Oh my. My simple and inexperienced brain doesn't seem to want to process the complexities that have now been produced. I really thought I was on to something with the return ducting in the back rooms! So, why push the cold air back to the living room (where the stove will be?). Wouldn't that, then pull cold air into my bedroom through the door to the deck? The air has to come from somewhere, right??? Sounds like your house is set up like mine, so I am interested in what you're saying. I suppose that would be the cheapest way to try it out at first. Much cheaper than adding unnecessary duct work. But for some reason, I'm still hooked on the idea of return vents in the bedroom. They would be more for pulling heated air back to those rooms from the stove, straight down the hallway, than actually pushing it in through the vents. I suppose I could just try it without anything and go form there if it isn't heating enough.

As far as pellets go- I'm kind of in a nowhere area, and am still looking for suppliers. There are 2 in a town about 20 minutes away. One is ACE hardware, and sells Marth pellets, $220/ton, I believe. The other is a small feed and seed store, who has a GREAT reputation for quality in anything he does. He heats both his store and house with pellets and decided to offer pellet sales a few years ago. He is still shopping around for products/prices though. Should know this week. I know very little about pellet quality and was just researching them. Uncle Jebs seems to be a good one, but I fear with my rural locality, I am going to be kind of stuck with very little choice. There are a few other larger towns within an hour's drive that I visit regularly to shop, so that is not out of the question. Madison and Baraboo are the two towns. Anyone know anything there? I will take your advice and try a few bags before I commit to a ton. Thank you!

longlivethejeep said:
Oh my. My simple and inexperienced brain doesn't seem to want to process the complexities that have now been produced. I really thought I was on to something with the return ducting in the back rooms! So, why push the cold air back to the living room (where the stove will be?). Wouldn't that, then pull cold air into my bedroom through the door to the deck? The air has to come from somewhere, right??? Sounds like your house is set up like mine, so I am interested in what you're saying. I suppose that would be the cheapest way to try it out at first. Much cheaper than adding unnecessary duct work. But for some reason, I'm still hooked on the idea of return vents in the bedroom. They would be more for pulling heated air back to those rooms from the stove, straight down the hallway, than actually pushing it in through the vents. I suppose I could just try it without anything and go form there if it isn't heating enough.

As far as pellets go- I'm kind of in a nowhere area, and am still looking for suppliers. There are 2 in a town about 20 minutes away. One is ACE hardware, and sells Marth pellets, $220/ton, I believe. The other is a small feed and seed store, who has a GREAT reputation for quality in anything he does. He heats both his store and house with pellets and decided to offer pellet sales a few years ago. He is still shopping around for products/prices though. Should know this week. I know very little about pellet quality and was just researching them. Uncle Jebs seems to be a good one, but I fear with my rural locality, I am going to be kind of stuck with very little choice. There are a few other larger towns within an hour's drive that I visit regularly to shop, so that is not out of the question. Madison and Baraboo are the two towns. Anyone know anything there? I will take your advice and try a few bags before I commit to a ton. Thank you!

If you install the OAK on the Englander. The air for combustion will come from outside. Which means that the air in the house will just be Circulated.

Cold air "Finds" and is attracted to Hot air, easier than Hot air is attracted to cold air. Thats why your cieling fan has a reverse. In the Winter, it is set to Pull the cold air "Up" (bringing cold to hot). I forgot to mention that I have 5 ceiling fans in our home. We normally run the one in the Pellet room (Dining Room) and one in our bedroom and baby girls room. My Sons room is almost right off of where the stove is and the convection air is blown straight to it (25 ft away, but in-line). We may have all 5 running on low at one time, It may only be one. But the one in the pellet room is always on. No matter how many are on, they always run on Low Speed. Slowly moving the air.

A Ceiling Fan and the Pellet stove will do a Good job at moving the air around. Remember. Even with NO FANS, the stove will Push hot air out, while sucking cold air in along the floor (By cold I mean the air at floor level/Not outside Cold air). The Natural Convection does a good job. The cold air will find the warm air the easiest.

Do a search, or go ask the guys in the Hearth Room, who use just Hot Wood stoves with no blower. You will find that 90% or better, will push the cold to the warm air. (Again, by "Cold" air, I am referring to the slightly colder air in the rooms off of the stove room).

I would try it without a fan at 1st. For the 1st 2 yrs with my pellet stove. I just used a Ceiling fan in our Kitchen and in our bedroom. Added the other 3 ceiling fans and the 2 Entreeair fans this last season. Just added the Woodstove this year , at the end of the season. So my Entire house for 3 years has been heated by just the Quadrafire. 2,200 sq ft is alot. Long hallway that turns. vaulted ceilings (Only goes to 10ft), and a Master Bath that is MILES away from the stove. I never thought in a million years that I could heat my whole house without the help of the Propane forced air furnace. But I found out the very 1st week I had the stove, that it is possible and I have not looked back. Before you go Blasting holes in your house, and spending money on fans (Be it ceiling or doorway fans), I would try the stove out 1st.

You said your house is 2,700 with the finished part of the basement. What is the Actual sq footage of just your upstairs?
Oh, on another note. I believe I already said something about a good surge protector, But you may also (More than likely) need a Humidifier. I have a large Lasko unit. Really makes the air feel warmer and more comfortable. Just like higher humidity in the summer makes it feel hotter. The Winter air is Dry already. The stove multiplies this problem. A pellet stove does not generate enough heat to steam water on top of it (Some do. But most will not, including yours). This will cut down on your static electricity, dry skin, and "Cold" feeling air.

Here is a pic of me standing in the Family room. It is a Dining room now. For X-Mas the Leaf comes out of table and it goes in the corner. The Dining room has become just a Pellet stove room.

About 8-10 ft behind where I am standing(taking pic) is the hallway to the bedrooms. The is a sharp 90* turn with 4 doors. One is the 2nd Bathroom and 3 others are the 3 bedrooms. Our Master Bedroom is about 18 long, before you get to the walkway into our Master bath. The house has a Living room and a Kitchen beyond what you cannot see in this pic. Didnt want to take a new pic and upload,,, LAZY! Sorry. My house is 68' long by 32 ft wide and until this last season, It was just the stove and 2 ceiling fans. And my stove was on Low. The blower is on low also (Quads are designed where as you step up the heat level, the stoves automaticly steps up the Convection blower), but if you run the stove 24/7 (Another thing I forgot to mention/Run stove all the time in the Dead of Winter) the air is always moving.

Sorry to keep posting long paragraghs. But I wish I would have found this place sooner. 3 yrs burning. Only 1 yr on Hearth (Lurked for awhile reading ALL the past posts). Great site, Great people (Dont assume evryone is a guy. There are MANY Women on Hearth who can and WILL show up. Some people have made the mistake of "Assuming" that they were talking with a man. You will soon find out who they are. One of them has 3 Pellet stoves. Really cool member (Lots of info from her to be had).

Attachments

• IMG00088-20101225-2327.jpg
    IMG00088-20101225-2327.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 847
  • IMG00729-20110718-1720.jpg
    IMG00729-20110718-1720.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 761
longlivethejeep said:
..... it appears that some tile on the subfloor will work. Right? If so, I will do a foot on all sides, maybe a little more in front even, just to be safe......

My pellet stove replaced a wood stove, and that was sitting on regular 8" x 8" ceramic tiles. Town inspector looked at it, and it passed no problem.

DexterDay- I was a little confused by your comment about a lot of knowledgeable members being women, until I noticed I replied "yes, sir." I do apologize if anyone was offended. Men, women, doesn't matter to me so long as I keep getting all the great advice I've been getting! I caught the reference to the woman with 3 stoves being extremely knowledgeable! Seems to me she really knows her stuff!

imacman said:
My pellet stove replaced a wood stove, and that was sitting on regular 8" x 8" ceramic tiles. Town inspector looked at it, and it passed no problem.

I feel stupid even having to ask this, but this is the first home I've owned (I'm 27). So, I don't even know who to call for an inspector. How would I find that out? And do they charge an inspection fee? Sorry for the stupid question, I just don't know...

Status
Not open for further replies.