Newbie wants advice on the best placement of new pellet stove...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
longlivethejeep said:
DexterDay- I was a little confused by your comment about a lot of knowledgeable members being women, until I noticed I replied "yes, sir." I do apologize if anyone was offended. Men, women, doesn't matter to me so long as I keep getting all the great advice I've been getting! I caught the reference to the woman with 3 stoves being extremely knowledgeable! Seems to me she really knows her stuff!

Was not anything you said. I made a statement about the "People" on this Forum and thought that I should remind you. I found out through reading past posts before I even became a memeber. I have read A LOT of the past Threads. A LOT of them. Man or Woman. Does not matter. Heck... I bet there are a couple Women on here that are more mechaniclly inclined Than A LOT of Men on here. Just letting you know. So in the Busy "Winter" season, you dont come across with the "Guys" or "Fella's". I dont think they would be offeneded. But respect is #1. Thats with anyone. I respect you for wanting to do something about your high heating bill. Good for you. You will be surprised at what money you will save. I am just shy of saving $3,000 ayr on LP (Propane). With the help of the woodstove this winter. I hope to cut that number in half and heat my basement to the same 76* as the upstairs, while taking some of the work off of the pellet stove. Avg is 4 ton a yr. If I can get it down to just 3 ton or even 2.5. That would be fantastic.

Here is a pic of the Woodpiles. Unrelated...

Attachments

• IMG00732-20110719-2043.jpg
    IMG00732-20110719-2043.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 354
I agree with Dexter's comment about building codes and venting to the basement. I think this could easily be done to code by a HVAC contractor, or DIY with proper permits and inspections. I hate to see the good propane money wasted because of poor air distribution...If it were me I would also add the basement cold air return with a damper so it can be used in summer, but dampered down for winter so you aren't trying to heat the basement with the pellet stove.

peirhead said:
I agree with Dexter's comment about building codes and venting to the basement. I think this could easily be done to code by a HVAC contractor, or DIY with proper permits and inspections. I hate to see the good propane money wasted because of poor air distribution...If it were me I would also add the basement cold air return with a damper so it can be used in summer, but dampered down for winter so you aren't trying to heat the basement with the pellet stove.

You have to have a building permit to add duct work? Oh man... I really don't know what I'm doing here...

longlivethejeep said:
....So, I don't even know who to call for an inspector. How would I find that out? And do they charge an inspection fee? Sorry for the stupid question, I just don't know...

Contact your local town hall. They should be able to tell you what is needed. Some towns just have the fire inspector do it.

In my town, I filled out an "application", paid a $30 fee, submitted a copy of the page from the owners manual showing which install I was doing, and they gave me the "install permit" to go ahead. After stove was installed, I called them back to set-up an appointment for the town inspector to come. He checked it out, and signed the permit OK'ing the install.

Buying a pellet stove out of season reminds me of when I had the opportunity to trade my 94 no options Ford Ranger 4x4 4cyl with a/c and am/fm no track no cd with 35k miles even up for a 93 Mustang 5.0 with all options except leather and 25,000 miles that was cherry..... in February. I didn't think winter was EVER going to be over and I quickly realized with no doubt why they traded. I had another 4x4 for winter but going out to the garage time and time again to look at that Mustang and then looking at the snow was horrible. I could drive it but it wasn't very pleasant in the snow... kind of like a new pellet stove would be in august.

Sorry to get off track this topic just took me back in time and I thought I would share.

I would keep it in the living room like the plan B. Some stoves are louder than others and many have a range of sounds depending on many factors. I know someone at work that has a folding petition thing that is supposed to be mostly decorative between the stove and the tv and it blocks a lot of the noise and the speakers in the back of the tv bounce off of it and back towards the listeners while the other side does the same with the stove. It was originally purchased to hide the back of the tv from view . There are some really creative things that can be done if you use your imagination and some common sense.

oO(I wonder if you will sit in front of it and stretch your arms out like your feeling the warmth like I sat in the seat with the garage door cracked revving the engine like I could really feel the power.)

I work outside and don't really care for the cold weather so save the cold weather/snow dance for yourself. Congrats on your purchase though. This will be my third season with ours and even though it is in the basement and the heat pump is high efficiency it still makes it feel so much more comfortable and saves a bunch of money.

Countryboymo said:
Buying a pellet stove out of season reminds me of when I had the opportunity to trade my 94 no options Ford Ranger 4x4 4cyl with a/c and am/fm no track no cd with 35k miles even up for a 93 Mustang 5.0 with all options except leather and 25,000 miles that was cherry..... in February. I didn't think winter was EVER going to be over and I quickly realized with no doubt why they traded. I had another 4x4 for winter but going out to the garage time and time again to look at that Mustang and then looking at the snow was horrible. I could drive it but it wasn't very pleasant in the snow... kind of like a new pellet stove would be in august.

Sorry to get off track this topic just took me back in time and I thought I would share.

I would keep it in the living room like the plan B. Some stoves are louder than others and many have a range of sounds depending on many factors. I know someone at work that has a folding petition thing that is supposed to be mostly decorative between the stove and the tv and it blocks a lot of the noise and the speakers in the back of the tv bounce off of it and back towards the listeners while the other side does the same with the stove. It was originally purchased to hide the back of the tv from view . There are some really creative things that can be done if you use your imagination and some common sense.

oO(I wonder if you will sit in front of it and stretch your arms out like your feeling the warmth like I sat in the seat with the garage door cracked revving the engine like I could really feel the power.)

I work outside and don't really care for the cold weather so save the cold weather/snow dance for yourself. Congrats on your purchase though. This will be my third season with ours and even though it is in the basement and the heat pump is high efficiency it still makes it feel so much more comfortable and saves a bunch of money.

Countryboy- that was a relevant story indeed! My stove has been in the basement (from being delivered- not staying down there), and about once a day I go down, and just look at it! It's appearance gets more attractive every time I look at it. Will be fun to have in the living room. Going to start building the hearth soon so I can get it up here and get it installed. Can't wait!

Attachments

• 101_0009.jpg
    101_0009.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 266
  • 101_0011.jpg
    101_0011.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 266
Well, heating season underway and I have been VERY impressed so far with the mighty mouse's performance. The master bedroom in my house is approximately 50 feet from my stove, down a hallway, has an exterior door, and 2 large windows. It has always been the coldest room in the house, roughly 4 degrees colder than the rest of the house, sometimes more. The lowest we have seen here in Wisconsin so far has been 20 degrees, and with a fan on the floor in the doorway, blowing TOWARDS the stove (blows cold air towards living room, forcing warm air into the bedroom as someone recommended) keeps my bedroom VERY warm. So far with the 20 degree overnights we have had, the stove will be on heat setting 3, blower speed 9. Bottom settings I have been toying with so far @ 4-6-1 keeps the house at about 72, probably 75 or warmer in the living room. That puts me at about a bag and a 1/2 a day. I have just finished up a pallet of Risley, which I could not fairly give a review on, as I have nothing to compare to. I will say I was happy with them. Ash content seemed pleasingly appropriate. I only needed to dump the burn pot every other day if I kept it running, sometimes could go longer. However I noticed a warmer heat if I cleaned it daily. Will be interested to see how she holds up to colder weather as the heating season progresses. I would rather burn 3 bags a day than turn on the propane furnace. On the not-so-cold days 35+ I can get away with heat setting 1, keep the blower speed on 9, and 4-6-1 lower settings. That uses a bag a day. My guess is on our sub zero days, I will have to kick on the propane furnace, but we'll see. On those days, we may all just camp out in the living room for the night, we'll see. Going to try Indeck brand pellets next for a comparison. Sure wish I could get my hands on some Uncle Jeds, but so far no luck within a reasonable driving range.

Surge Protector ?? Nice install......

No need for Propane. Just crank the heat up and let that puppy (mousey) purr all day long.

Even burning 3 bags a day is better and cheaper than Propane (ProPain). Heck even if I had to burn 10 bags a day, I would still have savings over Propane (about $3,800 a yr w/ LP). Wont catch me flipping a LP t-stat till I cant care for the stoves anymore. Even then, I still may burn. Thats what I had kids for.

Looks good. Enjoy the heat.. I installed a 25-PDV in my Fathers house this Fall. Great stove. He loves his and I love mine (mine is 16 yrs old).

longlivethejeep said:
Yes, I suppose it COULD go in the living room. My reasons for not wanting it there are many....2- toddler curiosity!...

Having successfully raised 2 toddlers with a traditional wood stove directly in the path to their bedrooms, you can squash the curiosity with a nice fireside chat... Simple, get the stove raging take them by the hand, get them safely, but uncomfortably close, and explain the dangers of the stove while they squirm from the heat. After that they will be surprisingly aware of how the stove can create discomfort if they get too close. Kids aren't used to the heat concentration a stove can produce, so etching how hot it can be in their mind works wonders. As mentioned, as long as you are right there with them, kneeling down to experience what they do, you won't get them too close to be a problem, but if they don't squirm a bit, you're not close enough. To me, this little trick can help greatly minimize the chance of a burn that lasts forever...

We didn't put up any kind of gate, either. That's just us. Do what your gut tells to you... That's always the safest.

Hi longlivethejeep, nice looking install! you will enjoy the heat your pellet stove produces for many seasons to come.

I too have a 2 year old, a boy, and he loves to climb. I installed a Kidco fireplace gate and it works great. Super rugged and the door is just big enough to allow access to stove.

I made an attempt to attache a picture. And here is a link to the web site http://www.kidco.com/main.taf?erube...ByCategory=1&kidco;.categoryid=5&kidco;.bc=gc

Attachments

• M55C_FPI.jpg
    M55C_FPI.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 190
Thanks everyone. We've been successful (so far) in our "chats" about the stove. She respects the stove and stays away. Every time I load the hopper, there's Lilly behind me saying "berry hot." I like lbcynya's idea of feeling the heat. I will being doing that tomorrow.

Just for an update: Last night's temp outside was 17 degrees, stove set on 4&9 top settings, 4-4-1 bottom settings had the coldest part of the house at 70, ;living room at 74 (where the stove is). 2200 sq. ft. for anyone curious.

Status
Not open for further replies.