Newbie with a pricing question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WharfRat

Nov 2, 2015
Raleigh
Hello everyone,

We recently purchased a renovated 1905 home and were thinking of putting a woodburning insert into the old coal burning fireplace to supplement heating on our first level.. The only one that will "fit" is the Regency I1200 and will require an insulted liner along with a course or two of brick being removed to allow the I1200 to fit. Having no idea what the cost might be for the insert with installation, I figured I'd post here to get some advice. I was toying with the idea of doing it myself, but I figured this might be a job best left to the experts. Anyway, I was quoted just over 4k and was wondering if this sounded about right? Thanks

Hard to say without knowing more about the job. Did they provide a price breakdown on what is involved?

With a shallow coal fireplace you are sometimes better off putting a Freestanding wood stove that rear vents in FRONT of the fireplace, you would have to have some room in front of it to build out the hearth but that would get you a larger heating device.

key-top-left.gif

Not too detailed--- $400 for the brickwork and the rest is the insert, liner (i'm guessing 20ft), and installation.
Seems a little high, but this is peak season. It might be worth considering mellow's suggestion if the lintel is high enough for a rear-vented stove.

That sounds pretty close to what we would charge but really not enough detail to know. What type of liner? blockoff plate? ect.

Liner is a 316TI Stainless full insulated liner kit. No blockoff plate listed. I dont think there is enough room for a freestanding stove. That is what I was originally thinking

Liner is a 316TI Stainless full insulated liner kit. No blockoff plate listed.
If they are using 316 then it is probably light wall. And if they are not doing a block off plate then i agree it is high. We use heavy wall and always do block off plates so our price is higher. Just because they don't list a plate does not mean they are not doing one though. We don't list them on our estimates though. We found when we list things separately people want to eliminate things to get the price down and we wont do that. But i would get other quotes it sounds high for what they are doing

If they are using 316 then it is probably light wall.

Huh? Heavy wall liners like Flex King Pro are 316ti and Olympia Armor Flex is 316L

Heavy wall liners like Flex King Pro are 316ti and Olympia Armor Flex is 316L
Yes they can be but they can also be bought in 304 for about 25% to 30% less and because of that most heavy wall liners put in for wood alone are 304. Many companies don't offer light wall in anything but 316 so the majority of light wall liners are 316 which is more than is needed for wood. The only time we use 316 heavy wall is for coal. and it costs allot more than 304

Status
Not open for further replies.