Newbie with Quadrafire Explorer III

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

shelster0805

Dec 26, 2016
Missouri
Hello, So we are new to this wood stove and have been using it since Thanksgiving day. Our pipe from top of stove to where it goes into the wall and up the chimney is about 2ft. We have the magnetic thermometer placed at the elbow, which is about 2ft up. We started cutting wood a year ago, bought the reader to see what the moisture level is, and trying to burn wood less than 16% We actually are getting a cord of seasoned wood delivered today... hoping it will be much dryer!

Here is our question... What is the trick to stay in the "Optimal" burning range?? We are steady at "Creosote" range barely making it to Optimal unless we have a roaring fire... which then we hear popping noises which is not the wood cracking. Do we have the thermometer placed in the right spot? I do not think we are over firing but not for sure what the popping noise is.

Thanks for any input!

What thermometer is this? If Meeco, the ranges on it may be designed for the stove top, not the stove pipe. What is the actual temperature reading?

Thermo might be a bit high on the pipe. I think 12-18" is generally recommended. What did it say on the package, or can you look it up online?

It is an Imperial Burn Indicator, we may have had it too far up. Just moved it to 12" Thanks! My husband threw the package away, looking up online. We both grew up with old wood stoves... these new ones are kinda difficult to get the hang of.