Newbie with some questions: Englander 13-NC

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Anyone know the measurement for the space between the heat shields and stove sidewall? I assume it’s the same as the spacing for rear heat shield.

Better yet, anyone have the specs on the side shields themselves And does that front little lip need to be there? Picture might help explain what I’m asking.

Don't know about the ones for the 13 but the ones on my 30-NC have 1 1/2" inches between the shields and the side of the firebox.

So I got the heat shields in today and they were a breeze to put on. Totally worth the time and money to get these. Total change of heart from trying to make my own. And, they don’t take away from the aesthetic of the stove at all.

Fired the stove up for the very first time (seasoned ponderosa pine- most abundant in my area) and must say that I am impressed with the 13NC. This is a far cry from the pot belly my grandpa had in his old Adobe home which, when in use, we fed a tremendous amount of wood and paid no attention to many of the peculiarities of burning and stoves discussed in thus forum.

I have much to learn, but on first burn, it’s amazing to watch the fire roll off the roof of the firebox and fill up with nice hot flames. I think I did a decent first burn and I’m enjoying the challenge of getting the most efficient burn.

I’ll def read any stickys and peruse the site for more tips - unless anybody’s got some off hand for a newbie to stoves and this site. Thanks!

813B9FC4-1E11-48FE-B193-F4256107FD34.jpeg FFAA4761-8277-4592-BCC0-D089B7A71C4B.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Mech e
Congratulations on a successful launch. This is a good heater. It may sound a bit counterintuitive but the stove will get hotter with the air turned down. That is because the vacuum of draft will start pulling more air from the secondary tubes with the air closed down. How far closed down will depend on the installation and draft, but usually it's at least 50% and often 75% closed.

You going paint the stand this year?