Newbie with stove-hunting question - Got the Englander

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Always best to take your time and do it right.

Glad you got the 13. It seems like a good fit. Keep us informed of progress and take pics of the project. We like pics...

Hay Kam, welcome to the forums !!!

I'm a little late, but welcome to Da Sistah Hood *those of us gals who tolerate the guys here, and their irrelevant rhetoric ;lol*

Post away on issues on that 13 ... we'll be here !

Last edited:
Reactions: Dix
Hay Kam, welcome to the forums !!!

I'm a little late, but welcome to Da Sistah Hood *those of us gals who tolerate the guys here, and their irrelevant rhetoric ;lol*

Post away on issues on that 13 ... we'll be here !

Whew! I knew there had to be other females here. I dunno about the irrelevant rhetoric, though I'm learnin' a LOT, lol.

Love the sig, though. I have one of those brooms, too. ;)

When you go for that "seasoned oak" ask how long it has been split and stacked. Two years is the absolute minimum to get oak dry. Maybe look for some other species that can dry within a year. If you get that soon up in your yard it will probably be good next winter.

When you go for that "seasoned oak" ask how long it has been split and stacked. Two years is the absolute minimum to get oak dry. Maybe look for some other species that can dry within a year. If you get that soon up in your yard it will probably be good next winter.

What might be a good species for being dry within a year? Most of what I'm finding is oak and the "seasoning" means it's been dead for a year and they just cut it. We had a bad drought in 2012 and lots of oaks died - including a huge one in my own yard which is still standing and will be harvested for our use - but most likely for our use in a couple of years. Maples held up pretty well. Locust? Ash? If I know what to look for, I'll post my own ad on craigslist. Thanks! :)

I'm really not familiar with the species available there, but you mentioned maple. I think that a soft maple, like maybe silver maple dries pretty fast. Pines will also.

What might be a good species for being dry within a year? Most of what I'm finding is oak and the "seasoning" means it's been dead for a year and they just cut it. We had a bad drought in 2012 and lots of oaks died - including a huge one in my own yard which is still standing and will be harvested for our use - but most likely for our use in a couple of years. Maples held up pretty well. Locust? Ash? If I know what to look for, I'll post my own ad on craigslist. Thanks! :)

I was not sure what is available in your area but actually most species dry faster than oak. Ash would be great as it has relatively low moisture to begin with but is a solid hardwood. Maple would probably be ok, depends on the type. If you can get your hands on Locust also take it. It burns as long as oak (similar BTU per cord) but dries faster; maybe not in a year but after two it will be good. Another good one to look for is pine as many people want to get rid off it. Dries easily within a good summer and great for start-up fires in the morning.

Standing dead trees can have lower moisture but its a gamble. However, I would never expect a standing dead tree to be "seasoned". Maybe you can reduce the time by a few months; especially the crown may hold less moisture. Invest $20 in a moisture meter, that will be really helpful.

We're creeping ever closer to burning. Ordered Micore to start building the hearth board last week. And best of all, my husband is finally starting to get into it:) Yay! He cut down our dead burr oak and insisted on having his picture taken with it. And he's scouting for firewood. Now for the chimney...

Since the perfectly located old chimney is a no-go, we'll probably be running a new chimney out the wall and up. I'll be seeking more advice when the time comes -- especially if my darlin' won't hear to having it professionally installed. Shopping around some, and the good triple-wall stuff isn't as expensive as I thought it might be. But we're still a ways from that. Next step is probably tearing up the carpet (time for that nasty old thing to be gone, anyway!).

My pretty little stove is still an end-table, but the dawn is in sight. :) The dogs are largely unimpressed, though Charlie was a little miffed when he had to climb over the fire bricks before we got them put back in the stove. He doesn't know that his chair is gonna be moving soon, lol - actually, his chair is exactly where I originally wanted to put the stove -- that's the chimney behind it.

DSCN3384.JPG DSCN3382.JPG

DSCN3389.JPG

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.