Newby w. questions re. Fireplace Install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan Osborne

Aug 5, 2008
Hudson Valley, NY
Hi all,

This is wonderful site and forum. I've been lurking here awhile and have picked up alot of information. I have a 2600 colonial in no. Westchester co. NY with a big bare wall in the living room, just waiting for a fireplace. I have no chimney. I am looking at the RSF Opel 3 and I'm looking to have it installed before Christmas. I plan to use the fireplace for supplemental heat hopefully running it 60+ hours a week in peak winter.

The questions I have:

1) Rather than installing the fireplace inside the house and have the chimney run up through my kids bedroom, one of the dealers I spoke to said I could open up my wall and install the fireplace within the chase to keep the chimney run straight and give me more living space. I like the idea, but I'm concerned about breaking my home's insullation envelope and getting drafts afterward. Any thoughts?

2) I'm in the process of getting quotes, and have asked a few to reply via e-mail, but it seems that dealers in my area are really busy. Maybe they dont like e-mail? When I do get ahold of them, what kinds of questions should I ask to help me get confident they are pros? Is there any licensing or certification for fireplace install?

Thanks to all replys.

The chase should be treated like an extension to the room. It should be insulated and caulked where it joins the wall.

To speed up the process visit the dealers, they are really busy this year. You may be able to expedite the process by working with your contractor to have the chase built to spec ahead of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.