NEWP- Lignetics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

lagger

Feeling the Heat
Apr 2, 2014
Bloomingburg NY
Lignetics bought New England wood pellets earlier this year... did they improve the product re: NEWPs any ? has anyone tried them since the merger ?

Ran a few bags of green supreme from the Depo and they were HOT- I was shocked for such a cheap (price wise) pellet.
Using harman accentra

Ran a few bags of green supreme from the Depo and they were HOT- I was shocked for such a cheap (price wise) pellet.
Using harman accentra

I've found their heat to be good but not very good. The low ash and low soot is really nice though. And the price was right back in October. How much are they going for now at HD?

I've found their heat to be good but not very good. The low ash and low soot is really nice though. And the price was right back in October. How much are they going for now at HD?

Delaware $5.29 a bag.

Sorry about the late response,
They are selling for $249 a ton, but they also contain soy oil. I wonder if that adds any extra btus?

Sorry about the late response,
They are selling for $249 a ton, but they also contain soy oil. I wonder if that adds any extra btus?

I've never heard of soy oil or any oil being added to pellets! Who told you that?

Awf hardwood contains vegetable oil, says so on the bag. Local Lowes had 2 versions of Green Supreme. One that was a hard/soft wood blend and stated product of Lignetics. The other all hardwood product of new england wood pellet. Picked up a few all hardwood bags.

This is like comparing apples and oranges since the Green Supremes you get in Md. and the ones we get in Mass. are going to be from totally different sources.

Regarding soy oil as an ingredient-- I have never seen soy listed on any pellet bag in Mass. I was under the impression that pellets had to contain 100% wood.

Rechecked and the few bags I picked up has soy as additive...pictures attached

https://ibb.co/yWY0XZ3
https://ibb.co/WFjDpSZ

I just checked my bags up here in Mass. and they do have the soy oil additive too! I never noticed that small print before. I wonder why the soy oil is there?

I have not seen any adverse effects from these pellets. They have very low ash, very low fines and burn very cleanly. Not the hottest I've ever had but better than most at the price.

Where the Traeger wood pellet plant differs from conventional fuel pellet plants is with the addition of soybean oil. This is used as lubricant to help the hardwood flow through the die of the pellet maker. In our small scale pellet plants we have the ability to add in small amounts of modified corn starch. However this would not be done to produce food grade wood pellets, so we also use peristaltic pumps which can add small amounts of oil and water into pellet press such as soybean oil. If you are interested in starting your own business producing food grade wood pellets for pellet grills we have the solutions for you.
http://www.pelheat.com/traeger_wood_pellets.html