Next years supply...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Got a good start this week on next years supply.

A 7' diameter 7' tall one. Hope I did it right so it holds up all spring, summer and fall. Should be about 2 full cords the way I stacked it slightly tapering in.
This wood has been sitting since last winter out in the woods cut to length, unsplit and stacked in various piles. I went around while we had 2' of snow (before it melted all last week with the 1 day of heavy rain) and tugged in all in with my snowmobile and ice fishing sled-pull. Borrowed a buddies spillter, which I'll put a new battery on and re-wire it for him. Worked pretty good for me.

IMG_0394.JPG

I still got another cord to split up. And need to start cutting for the following year. The wood game, never ends.....

Gotta say, Wheres the wind up, looks like you should start spinning and moving up and down! :lol:

I have a good 2 cords of oak cut and stacked, I must admit, I danced too. In a manly way of course!!! :lol:

Nice work........I've been outside latley bust'in stuff up myself.
Get it done now and forgetta-bout it.

WB

Looks good man, I've got one the same dimensions out of oak, figured it to be 2 cords. Did you stack in vertically in the center or just use the "toss it in" method?

I stacked it vertically in the center. Well, somewhat leaning in, but for the most part vertically. I got pallets under most of it, I didn't have enough pallets to cover the whole base so some of it is sitting on the ground.

You know, it really didn't take any longer than making a row stack. Aside from mabey the last couple layers or so, I had to have my wife help me, I got up on top to situate the wood, and she handed me the wood. But that part took all of 15 minutes.

Good work 73blazer.

Worry not about the snow. They tell us we have another 6" coming starting tomorrow night. So don't put that snowmobile away just yet.

You are right about the wood game never ending. Always try to keep well ahead of the game.

Nice work - I spent most of my weekend drinking beer. Been waiting til the splitter was no longer snowbound. It was free as of last week but looks like it may once again get buried. I think I'll stick wit my original plan of just being patient til March and then see what happens. Having wood split and stacked for drying by the end of march would be great - especially since all the oak is already split.

That's a lot of production for a weeks work good for you 73B...as cold as it gets in MI you must be good for 6-8 cords?

I had cut and and stacked it in ~18" lengths out in the woods last winter.
All I did this past week was haul it all in with the snowmobile and split it up. I don't have a tractor or ATV so my only means to haul the wood out is by wheelbarrow (eek), or when there's enough snow on the ground which we had most of december and january, I can haul it in pretty fast with my snowmobile and ice shanty sled.

I don't know how much I'm going to use, this is my first year burning in this home with this stove, so we'll see. I'm gone every other week, so the propane forced air heats while I'm away, so far this winter I've gone thru about 2 cords, so I'm not doing too bad. I'm a bit of a fanatic with the stove though, I'm always adjusting for efficient burn. It was awful cold for the whole month of January though, it was high of 10 for weeks, so I don't think I'm doing bad at all.

Wow you did all that by working hard ...imagine the kind of production you could make with good used compact utility tractor (CUT). Keep you eyes peeled and stay safe out there 73. For a young buck you're off to a real good start that's for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.