Nice Saw But Look At How He Makes The Cut

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
BrotherBart said:
What they don't show in the video is that behind the cameraman are four acres of hung up or barber chaired trees that they went through trying to get the shot. And four still standing with just a bar sticking out of them. :coolsmirk:

Lmfao!!! Thats funny right there...

The loggers that logged my woods this year made the same cuts after they made the notch. They cut down the trunk and cut off all the uneven pieces so the butt end didn't have those 4 or 6in pieces sticking out. and made it easier on the final cut. They cut right down to just above ground level. very little stump. I don't know about if they made the bottem cut first or last but they did a VERY pro job. Those little chunks really added up when I picked them up. I bet I got close to a half cord and they dry really fast. Plus they didn't have to haul them back to the mill. A win win for every one. They even made sure there wasn't any limbs on the tops hung up or under pressure for when I cut them up. They cut all the high limbs down on the tops. Made it very easy for me to cut the firewood. It probably took an extra 5 min. for them but it made it easier for me. Those guys were PRO's
leaddog

inevitabLEE said:
Dude made the bottom cut first on an open face notch!!?? He ain't no pro.

That is the recommended method!

I may be new to wood stoves, but I've cut enough trees to know the video shows the proper technique.

And yes, they land where I aim.

nrford said:
inevitabLEE said:

Lemme guess ,,, you work for CVI of MI!!!!????

Garand06 said:
I may be new to wood stoves, but I've cut enough trees to know the video shows the proper technique.

You mean the trees you cut land in the direction of their lean.

Well, my question is, how did they keep that saw looking so clean after all that cutting?

I've never noticed words coming out of either of my saws...I guess they must be illiterate. :-/ Rick

inevitabLEE said:
Garand06 said:

You mean the trees you cut land in the direction of their lean.

Yes, in the GENERAL direction of the lean, although if you know what you're doing it does NOT have to be exactly where they're leaning.

loggers do weird cuts to get the most of of the log to. and i actually have seen them cut into the hinge slightly.

inevitabLEE said:
nrford said:
inevitabLEE said:

No OSHA, and we'll be looking for YOU! Smartee pants! LOL

fossil said:
I've never noticed words coming out of either of my saws...I guess they must be illiterate. :-/ Rick

Perhaps...or since it's Sweedish maybe you don't realize it's talking to you? LOL.

Looks like most of the discussion is about what should have been the first cut? Is there a good video you guys would recommend on felling trees? I've cut numerous trees down over the years with success but now I wonder if I was doing it technically correct.

nrford said:
inevitabLEE said:
nrford said:
inevitabLEE said:

No OSHA, and we'll be looking for YOU! Smartee pants! LOL
You're silly ,,,,,,,,,,and full of BS !!!!!! GOL cutting techniques are 100% approved by OSHA. %-P

Lee what they show is the game of logging! And it is OSHA regulations on proper felling techique! 25 years in timber industry,..... I might know a little of what I say.

nrford said:
Lee what they show is the game of logging! And it is OSHA regulations on proper felling techique! 25 years in timber industry,..... I might know a little of what I say.
Yep, but he ain't no pro.
Never said it didn't resemble GOL techniques. Anyone that knows anything about GOL knows the first cut on an open face is the top cut , NOT bottom. That's basic knowledge!

schlot said:
fossil said:

Perhaps...or since it's Sweedish maybe you don't realize it's talking to you? LOL.

Looks like most of the discussion is about what should have been the first cut? Is there a good video you guys would recommend on felling trees? I've cut numerous trees down over the years with success but now I wonder if I was doing it technically correct.
Tim Ard and Soren Erikson (for 3 classes) were my field instructors . I know there are some good vids by Tim somewhere online.
http://www.sacotreeworks.com/2010/09/28/tree-felling-tim-ard/
Just found this . This is some of the best BASIC felling knowledge you can absorb. Tim is one of the best in the industry.

West coast felling techniques are used in that region and used well due to a variety of reasons some being tree structure, terrain,size of timber and removal methods. To say that GOL techniques will work safely in a commercial logging operation on the west coast is absurd . Let's not turn this into an east/west argument because GOL isn't an end all. Different techniques for different timber and circumstances. It takes years of felling experience to determine what will work and in what environment.

rwhite said:
...what do you do if you cut bottom notch?
Do you mean Humboldt notch? I was taught the Humboldt notch method by market wood fellers. It was considered butchering to cut a notch out of the market wood. Even with the Humboldt notch method, we did the top cut first. The second cut being the bottom cut would spit the wedge out and away from you by the chain on the top of the bar, or the freed notch wood would carry on the bar as you pulled the saw away. If you do the bottom cut first, you may need to kick the notch wood out.

The other thing with the Humboldt notch, as the tree starts to fall, the leading edge of the wood is below the stump should the hinge not hold.

Right on the $ Lig.
The top cut always determines the direction of the fell.
The Humbolt is most generally used in clear cuts or very open timber. Felling into the open with the humbolt will "throw" the tree which results in the bottom limbs being snapped off= less work. Also gets wood closer to the mainline and a few other reasons.

I see no upside to making the top cut last and not just cuz I'm too lazy to have to kick the notched piece out. When making the top cut, you can't see through your bar to match up to the bottom cut and so more likely to make a Dutchman. Except in special circumstances where you may gamble on a Dutchman to turn a difficult tree on its way down, they are to be avoided.

Making the top cut last is like writing left handed. Your left hand obscures what you've already written and you're dragging your hand through fresh ink. I'm sure to piss off a lot of sinister folk with that comment. I started off left handed until the nuns beat it out of me. Now I'm ambidextrous but writing with the right hand just makes sense. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.