Nickw cabin/house build

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Haven't posted in awhile. Had a rental get trashed so my partner and I have been rehabbing it to sell.

Was in the Northwoods for a week during 4th of July and just had a long weekend up there with the missus. Been working on siding, soffit and fascia. East side is done, south side is mostly done. Can't wait to get installing tongue and groove, but it'll be a while. Gotta get the outside stuff done.

IMG_20220708_170409.jpg IMG_20220801_184327.jpg

Nice. What's the view thru those windows?

Phew! That right-side ladder plank must have been interesting to work from.

• Wow
Reactions: stoveliker
The ladder & plank on the right was a dream compared to the ladder jacks & plank on the extension ladders on the left.

Photo out the windows from inside (have had turkeys out there daily with the grass and weeds so long). Yes, that's the septic bed. Film is still on the windows to keep the dust off. Other photo is from the deck.

Heading down to fish off the pier for a little bit. Been here a week and haven't wet a line!IMG_20220923_171515.jpgIMG_20220923_171529.jpg

I'll be curious to get your impressions of the Stratford once you get the interior all covered. Time to add that big boy to your signature line.

Good luck with the fishing!

So right after my last post I went out and unloaded my tools out of the ATV (boardwalk repairs) and loaded my fishing gear... Not quietly. Went in to grab the crawlers out of the fridge and looked out the big windows and a doe and fawn were munching weeds 😂.

Got a keeper walleye fishing, but it was surprisingly slow. Weather moving in tonight, new moon coming, feeding time of year, etc. Just the one walleye and a little smallie.

Will try to remember to add the Stratford II to my profile. Thoughts so far are it's no NC30. Heats well, especially in this well insulated place; but takes a long time to get heated up and produce usable BTU's. Burns aspen well, lasts about 4 hours. Doesn't like pine only loads, smokes the glass...might not have been seasoned well enough. Good seasoned hardwood from home is pretty good, might get 8 hours. Don't like E/W loading, so I cut and split a bunch to 12". Will check moisture next weekend when the better half brings my moisture meter up. Pine seems pretty light, aspen seems questionable, cherry some seems good some not, hopefully the ash is ready, assuming the birch and maple are not ready. All css in spring.

Not nearly as concerned about burning full time for heat up here as at home. Well insulated with NG here. Home is poorly sealed and electric baseboard heaters.

Reactions: thewoodlands
Soffit, fascia and siding done except for a small 3'x4' triangle on the end of the front door overhang. Need one 8" fascia and I only ordered 6", so now I have to wait for it to get in. Total of 2 pieces of fascia, 1 piece of soffit, some 'J' channel and maybe 4 little pieces of siding is all that's left. Fireplace and chimney surround is Durocked.

Next up are "real" steps, deck railings, some landscaping to shore things up and reduce erosion, pine tongue and groove, and so on...

Heading by my brother's property shortly to take down half a dozen tree's tomorrow.

Wife was up last weekend for our anniversary. Pulled the piers and boat, trimmed some tree's for better wildlife viewing, went looking at flooring, out for dinner, mini golfing... Pretty laid back compared to what my days up here usually are.

Photos are north side of the garage, south and east side of house, front of house & garage (front of garage is east and front of house is north). West side with all the big windows is a couple of posts back.

IMG_20221006_112808.jpg IMG_20221006_112159.jpg IMG_20221005_182346.jpg

Finished the rock wall this morning to help stop erosion. Thank goodness we have the itty bitty skiddy working again! The whole point of the rocks was to save the 2 oak tree's I transplanted from the right of way about 8 or 9 years ago. They are doing well. Wall is roughly 55' long, 10' for about 35' tapering down after that. Used mostly rocks from excavation. Had to get 1 trailer load of 6-12" from the local supplier. Couple of the rocks from excavation were so heavy my 6' 240lb former HS football player son could barely roll them into the bucket.

Also moved some dirt around and dug a couple of swales to try to get better drainage in the valley by the fire pit. Almost done with the deck railings, will post a pic of them tomorrow when done. Have also done some more painting, made a dump run and other things.
IMG_20221021_120704.jpgIMG_20221021_120728.jpg

Finished the last little bit of siding, soffit & fascia; the "real" steps from the garage into the house; and drywalled the opening on the back of the surround last time up (besides miscellaneous little things and the other things I posted).

Got up yesterday afternoon again. Finally got to install some T&G today! Also have been working on turning timbers and planks into finished boards for the surround trim, mantle & wood rack. Have my BIL's planer here now. Just need my ripping blade back from the sharpener.
IMG_20221109_183339.jpg

Super excited! Got most of the cherry ripped and planed to size. All this was done with a radial arm saw and planer. No straight line rip saw or jointer. Nothing glued yet, but you can see the joints are pretty good.

Pictures 1-5 left to right are timbers for the mantle, wood rack top, wood rack bottom, and TV mount.

Picture 6 left to right are mantle brackets and cleats, 3 1/2 face trim, 2 1/2 top trim, and wall cap & trim for the bump out between the surround and wood rack.

IMG_20221112_161522.jpgIMG_20221112_161543.jpgIMG_20221112_161551.jpgIMG_20221112_161555.jpgIMG_20221112_161611.jpgIMG_20221112_161836.jpg

North wall done, South wall is done, west wall up to the top of the south wall, south ceiling started... Ceiling needs to be done before the rest of the west wall because of how I'm doing the trim. If I had known how much easier the walls would be compared to the ceiling I would have savored it more...😜. Heading home Wednesday, so I won't get it done this trip.
IMG_20221111_162019.jpgIMG_20221114_190312.jpg

1x8 T&G. Visible face is 6 5/8". Satin poly finish. Had it custom run by a place 2 miles up the road for less than I could get the same size from the local big box, and theirs had a bead halfway across the width so it looks like 3" boards. I like the look of the wider flat boards.

Gosh that's beautiful and what color is your floor going to be? clancey
We're leaning towards a medium oak. Darker than the pine, lighter than the dark oak cabinets.

Sounds real good and years ago my family had a cabin "down at the shore" and my father did the whole cabin in Notty pine but we had a red tile floor and I thought it was pretty--not too much wood and it broke up the colors a bit more but yours is just beautiful with all the work you did --just curious here...thanks clancey