Nickw cabin/house build

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Forgot to post this the other day... Working on finishing cherry trim, mantle & wood rack parts; and going to start sanding handrails for clear coat and clear coating the bathroom door & frame. Electrician is supposedly starting back up here tomorrow so I can get to occupancy soon.
IMG_20221209_134532.jpg

Getting closer to occupancy! Lights and ceiling fan are in in the Great Room. Handrails and bathroom door are partially clear coated. Still working on cherry stuff. Might try to clear a spot in the garage today for the truck before the storm gets here.
IMG_20221212_124846.jpg

1st time up since before Christmas...

Got up last Monday to 8-12" of snow on top of 2-4" of frozen melted snow on top of 1" of ice. Got the truck stuck in 1 degree temperature with -20 wind-chill, so that was fun...

Finished clear coating the cherry, did a bunch of swamp logging, cleaned and sorted half of the stove/chimney surround rock to verify (hopefully) what I need to order for the balance, assembled & installed the mantle brackets and mounted the mantle (cherry). Heading home Wednesday.

IMG_20230205_162249.jpgIMG_20230206_152720.jpg
IMG_20230206_152739.jpg

You sure did a lot of work in the "freezing Cold", I hope you have good heat inside the house to keep you comfortable. One thing I hate is to go into a cold house...clancey

You sure did a lot of work in the "freezing Cold", I hope you have good heat inside the house to keep you comfortable. One thing I hate is to go into a cold house...clancey
When you're working in 5-25 degree weather a 55 degree house feels warm, so even if the "cabin" was down to 64 it felt really good. Then I'd load up the fireplace 😁.

Reactions: clancey
Got up last week Monday to 16-20" of snow in the driveway. Luckily the snowblower was able to handle it mostly. Fired up the skid loader for the area's where I couldn't blow all the way off the driveway. Floor drain in the garage was frozen solid with a 2" sheet of ice in the center of the garage, but it didn't reach the common wall at least. So, 3 days of snow removal and thawing a drain later I got started rocking the chimney and fireplace surround. Finished today, still needs grout.
IMG_20230323_161544_01.jpgIMG_20230323_161545_02.jpgIMG_20230323_161545_01.jpg

Got up last week Monday to 16-20" of snow in the driveway. Luckily the snowblower was able to handle it mostly. Fired up the skid loader for the area's where I couldn't blow all the way off the driveway. Floor drain in the garage was frozen solid with a 2" sheet of ice in the center of the garage, but it didn't reach the common wall at least. So, 3 days of snow removal and thawing a drain later I got started rocking the chimney and fireplace surround. Finished today, still needs grout.
View attachment 311353View attachment 311354View attachment 311355
Looks great @NickW , nice job. 👍

Got the cherry wood rack mostly done and in now. Just gotta scribe and install the wall cap on the top left (it's just sitting there now) and make the finish toe. Figured I'd take a pic before I forget and fill it with wood.IMG_20230611_120832.jpg

Nick, Time to take a few days off. It's summer, get some furniture, and beers around the fire pit.

Reactions: NickW
Nick, Time to take a few days off. It's summer, get some furniture, and beers around the fire pit.
🤣🤣🤣... Take it easy you say...!?! Home remodel is underway now to get ready to put it on the market in spring! We are in the Northwoods now and did do a little fishing; but also working on some stuff (started moving wood indoors, finished cabinet toes, cleaning, re-staining the hearthstones for permanent installation, etc.).