Nights again in the 30's.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Savage

Minister of Fire
Feb 14, 2007
Michigan
Looks like it is time to start getting some wood and kindling to the house. It gets a little cool in the mornings when the outdoor temperature is in the 30's. But one quick fire and all is well. That won't last long now though. Soon it will be all day, all night fires.

Mid 40's here at night.
Still haven't had the break-in fire for the new stove yet.
Hoping to make it to mid-October but I have my doubts.

Backwoods Savage said:
Looks like it is time to start getting some wood and kindling to the house. It gets a little cool in the mornings when the outdoor temperature is in the 30's. But one quick fire and all is well. That won't last long now though. Soon it will be all day, all night fires.

You sure the wood supply will hold out?

donmattingly said:
Mid 40's here at night.
Still haven't had the break-in fire for the new stove yet.
Hoping to make it to mid-October but I have my doubts.

I'm in the same boat! I just got the EQ completly installed and all the small stuff done this past weekend. The wife and oldest daughter has a bet going as to when i start the first fire. They won't tell me the terms of the bet but as of now it looks like they will give in first. I told the wife I am ancsious but not in a hurry........

NYC 55 average at night.

Hey Dennis,
It was 34 on the thermometer out my front window this morning. 58 in the house. No fire. I had to leave, and the wife likes it somewhat cool, so looks like the fires will continue to wait. Not for long though. Two of the last 3 years here, I started burning in late September. BRRRRR!

runandjump said:
I'm in the same boat! I just got the EQ completly installed and all the small stuff done this past weekend. The wife and oldest daughter has a bet going as to when i start the first fire. They won't tell me the terms of the bet but as of now it looks like they will give in first. I told the wife I am ancsious but not in a hurry........

There is a new stove in that house and you haven't lit a fire in it yet! Heck even when I install one in July or August, or a new liner, there has to be a test run. Wife always says "Well it is about to get hot around here.". :lol:

Had a small fire the last two night, rumor has it Mt. Washington had some snow and a chance for snow showers in the mountains. Guess i better start putting the wood in.

dont worry a mild winter is on the way........

We have had perfect weather here for about the last 3 weeks, highs in the mid 70's, sunny and little wind. Looks like no fires til next month. Last Sept was cooler and I had quite a few take the chill off fires and started 24/7 burning late Oct. Once the highs consistently dip below 60 I'll have fire.

smokinj said:
Backwoods Savage said:

We're hoping we won't run out too soon. lol

PapaDave said:
Hey Dennis,
It was 34 on the thermometer out my front window this morning. 58 in the house. No fire. I had to leave, and the wife likes it somewhat cool, so looks like the fires will continue to wait. Not for long though. Two of the last 3 years here, I started burning in late September. BRRRRR!

Dave, where you are you have to expect that always at this time of the year for sure. You beat us by a couple of degrees.

Like Todd, we too have had beautiful weather in September. It has been the best part of summer. But as they say, all good things must come to an end. Actually, we would appreciate some rain here because it is so dry.

Backwoods Savage said:
smokinj said:
Backwoods Savage said:

We're hoping we won't run out too soon. lol
better pray for a mild winter in Mich. (fat chance lol)

Last night I set up the deck rack. It is one of those 2x4 deals held together by the plastic corner pieces that you slip the 2x's into. It holds maybe 1/4 cord when full. My kids got all excited to see me set it up and actually are eager to help start filling it over the next couple weeks. Have a lot of stairs to climb up that deck so I figure we'll take our time... of course once I start I'll probably want to just get the job done. Still, I hate to disturb my main pile for the winter and see a dent in it - just won't look right!

Did burn a little fire last night to keep the house from cooling off too much - was 50 outside this AM but kept the house nice and toasty with some kindling and 4 splits (was 69 in house before fire, 70 this morning when I got up). Going to have to stop that though and get used to cooler temperatures in the house or my wood won't hold out...

Slow1 said:
Going to have to stop that though and get used to cooler temperatures in the house or my wood won't hold out...

Man, that's what I tell myself...... But its so, so hard to stop once you've lit that first fire :)

Status
Not open for further replies.