no heat coming from 55-SHP22

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scruffy

Oct 24, 2008
NH
I just installed my Englander and expected to be blown out of the room.
After the first burn in settings at 5 feed/5 fan the room temp only went up 2 degress. (the room is 20 x 20 x 10 with knotty pine walls and wood floor.) The stove sits on a granite hearth and is exhausted out a conventional cement block chimney through a 8" flue four feet from the stove outlet. It has a intake that is 2" diameter with two 90 degree elbows that extends outside for a run of about 7 feet.

After running the stove again last night at a 9 level the room temp only went up 5 degrees and the outside temp was in the low 30's.

The exhaust stack is hot to the touch so I suspect all my heat is going up the flue?

Anyone experience this problem? What could be wrong? Oh yes, The flame looks to be fine in the fire box, but it did produce a pepper type of ash after the burn.

Thanks for any replies.

I don't have an answer for you but sumtin ain't right. I have a similiar stove and last night (20's here) it heated my 1000 sq. ft. main floor and ~600 sq. ft. second floor to a toasty 65-70 degrees. Started with a 3-9 and went to bed with a 1-6. My place is well insulated.

Is this room in your house? Insulated well? Is there hot air blowing out of the stove? A 9 feed rate should heat that room and part of your neighbors house.

Good Luck.

scruffy said:
I just installed my Englander and expected to be blown out of the room.
After the first burn in settings at 5 feed/5 fan the room temp only went up 2 degress. (the room is 20 x 20 x 10 with knotty pine walls and wood floor.) The stove sits on a granite hearth and is exhausted out a conventional cement block chimney through a 8" flue four feet from the stove outlet. It has a intake that is 2" diameter with two 90 degree elbows that extends outside for a run of about 7 feet.

After running the stove again last night at a 9 level the room temp only went up 5 degrees and the outside temp was in the low 30's.
Try running it with the OAK disconnected so it's pulling the air from in the room - those 2 90 degree elbows on a 2" pipe that long may be restricting the combustion air. If that fixes it, I'd bump the OAK to 3" (you'll need an adapter you can get from the stove shop or TSC). If that doesn't fix it, give Englander a call (expect to call a bunch and wait awhile on hold - they're really busy I hear) and have them walk you thru the settings on your control board.

Thanks for the replies;

Yes, the room is in my house and attached to the upstairs master bedroom by a stairway and a hallway into the kitchen on the entry to the room, it was a two car garage. When I converted it to a family room I raised and insulted the floor 10 inches. The walls are also insulated, only the ceiling is not. I also have a ceiling fan in the center of the room to blow the air down.

I spoke with Englander tech help twice. Fingers were getting sore before I finally got connected both times. They must have only one line coming in and no weekend help support. I was at work so I took notes.

First guy was helpful and I changed the stove setting. Fired up the stove and let it run on 9 that evening, posted the results above.
The second guy couldn't get rid of me fast enough, said a tech would call me that evening, no call.

I disconnected the OAK and to be honest the flame was better with it connected. Put my hand over the intake at the stove and felt very little suction. Reconnected the pipe and went outside and had a decent pull at the inlet.

Last night after I got home went though a check of the control board. At step two it said to press the low burn button and a dash will appear, well a number appears not a dash. So I don't know what to do can't go to the next step.

Also called Lowe's and they are willing to bring out a new stove to replace the one I'm having trouble with.

If you have any suggestions I'm willing to listen. This puppy is heavy and I don't want to move it if I don't have to.

Thanks.

The bottom three buttons should have numbers show up when pressed. The default for my stove are 6-4-1. The first and second button are used for changing the fuel feed and air flow when your stove is running in low.

You should email Mike Holton from Englander for assistance. You can find his email address by searching the forum. If Mike can't get you fixed I would recommend getting the replacement stove from Lowe's.

Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.