No liner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rickjm33

Nov 9, 2011
Eastern MA
Hello
I was hoping someone could help me with a liner question.
I just moved into a new house that had an old Fisher wood stove and I have plans to replace it with a Hearthstone Mansfield. When I removed the pipe that connected into my wall that I assumed connected into a liner up the chimney I was surprised not to see a liner. Also the opening is 7" which could be an issue as well. Has anyone had any experience with a stove that vents like this into a chimney and do I need to have a liner installed or is this good. I'm assuming the Fisher has been in Place for 20+ years.
Thanks for the help!

image.jpg image.jpg

I'm not an expert stove installation tech but I would assume you will need a 6" liner with 6" pipe coming out of the stove. Years ago I had started heating my garage with an old coal stove, it had a 5" pipe all the way up and outside. I bought my first wood stove and installed it using the existing pipe and it would not burn correctly. I'm sure others will chime in and say also you need to use the correct size and type of pipe/ liner so the stove will burn correctly and safely. Good luck

what are the inner dimensions of the chimney itself? I'm guessing it's not raw brick, and is lined with terracotta tiles? Are there cracks in the tiles? Has the chimney been cleaned and inspected? How tall is the chimney? Is it on the exterior of the home or goes up through the interior? How old is it?

There are times where a terracotta lined masonry chimney will be just fine, but in many cases, it's best to do ass Matt suggested and place a SS liner in it.

Share a bit more and you'll have a better shot at the best answer.

Good luck, and welcome!

Reactions: bholler
Status
Not open for further replies.