No love for the Buck 91??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rockey

Minister of Fire
Dec 18, 2007
SW Ohio
I cant find a single reason not to go with the Big Buck down in the basement. With a 4.4 cu ft firebox and catalytic secondary, it seems like a better solution to supplemental heating my house rather than the (close your eyes BB) Englander 30, which is currently in my basement. We added a room to the basement for my daughter who is in college and I didn't get near the burn time I expected from the Englander than my smaller cat insert upstairs. So I decided to go with a cat stove in the basement and I cant find anything in the same price range as the Buck 91 that is comparable. Are there any new cat stoves out that are in the same league. I considered the BK, and if I could find a gently used one for the right price I would probably jump on it. I dont understand why there arent more Buck users here and just want to make sure it isnt a reliability issue. Am I missing something here?

I'll have to pass the buck on this one :shut: :), but haven't heard anything bad about these stoves. Actually they seem to offer good value. I think it may be more of an issue that the range of the dealer network is small and they aren't sold by large national chains. I've never seen one on the left coast.

BeGreen said:
I'll have to pass the buck on this one :shut: :), but haven't heard anything bad about these stoves. Actually they seem to offer good value. I think it may be more of an issue that the range of the dealer network is small and they aren't sold by large national chains. I've never seen one on the left coast.

There's a couple dealers in WA.

OP - I don't know anyone with a cat Buck Stove but the non cat units I've seen are well made and very serviceable. Be our Buck Stove 91 guinea pig. Get one and tell us all about it.

Hey rockey, buck stoves are well known around here where i live. they are made in north carolina i believe, alot of hardware and home and hearth stoves sell them around here, I have looked at them and they are a lifetime stove dude. I believe that stoves brands and what people like are a regional thing, when i purchased my stove off line , which was a country brand wood stove most people around here had never heard of them, most of the guys on this website are from up north and i guess it's safe to say that were i live the winters are not has harsh here as they are up north, and many other brands are well known more than others, but the buck stoves area top notch stove good luck rockey

Rockey - My observation of the 91 - I posted this a little while ago in another thread.

Well my wife and I took the trip to NJ (70 miles round trip) to check out the Buck 91 today. First thing I noticed was the fire brick was just about level with the door maybe an 1/8th” below and half inch from the door. The claimed 22” wood length if loaded N/S would put the splits right against the glass door. The back of the fire box is 19” wide while the front is 24” wide with just under 10” height. Just at seeing the shallow depth I was thinking of passing. As I looked further I noticed there wasn’t a flue collar, the 8” pipe just sits down into the stove 2-3 inches. I asked how you secured the pipe to the stove and was told there are brackets that attach to the pipe with screws but then you have to cement the brackets to the stove top. Now I’m really not digging this stove even though from the front it doesn’t look bad. I looked at the sides to see if there was a heat shield or not and found a thin sheet of metal (It was more of a skin than anything maybe 24 gauge) screwed to the sides with what appeared to be sheet rock screws. (Yes I said sheet rock) I told the sales man we needed a few minutes to talk which he readily respected.

learnin to burn said:
Rockey - My observation of the 91 - I posted this a little while ago in another thread.

Well my wife and I took the trip to NJ (70 miles round trip) to check out the Buck 91 today. First thing I noticed was the fire brick was just about level with the door maybe an 1/8th” below and half inch from the door. The claimed 22” wood length if loaded N/S would put the splits right against the glass door. The back of the fire box is 19” wide while the front is 24” wide with just under 10” height. Just at seeing the shallow depth I was thinking of passing. As I looked further I noticed there wasn’t a flue collar, the 8” pipe just sits down into the stove 2-3 inches. I asked how you secured the pipe to the stove and was told there are brackets that attach to the pipe with screws but then you have to cement the brackets to the stove top. Now I’m really not digging this stove even though from the front it doesn’t look bad. I looked at the sides to see if there was a heat shield or not and found a thin sheet of metal (It was more of a skin than anything maybe 24 gauge) screwed to the sides with what appeared to be sheet rock screws. (Yes I said sheet rock) I told the sales man we needed a few minutes to talk which he readily respected.

And then?

I think a few of the reasons you don't see much about the 91 are:

1. Dealers bad mouthing cat stoves.

2. Eight inch flue requirement.

3. Wives bad mouthing steel stoves.

4. Large footprint.

5. Fear of too much heat from a beast that size.

6. Less national advertising exposure.

The same reasons you didn't hear much about Blaze King until the fever broke loose here this year.

BrotherBart said:
I think a few of the reasons you don't see much about the 91 are:

1. Dealers bad mouthing cat stoves.

2. Eight inch flue requirement.

3. Wives bad mouthing steel stoves.

4. Large footprint.

5. Fear of too much heat from a beast that size.

6. Less national advertising exposure.

I'll add the unique look and shape of the 91 to BB's list. It's anything but traditional and I suspect it turns off quite a few people... but I guess this should be expected since it's designed to be a free standing stove and/or an insert.

I will add that the Buck does appear to be fairly heavily constructed and should last a long time. If the stove works for you, I see no reason to not buy one. They are probably a better value than the BKK (on the east coast anyway). The only feature I really like on the BK that's missing on the Buck is the thermostat, otherwise the Buck 91 was a close second on my short list.

BrotherBart said:
The same reasons you didn't hear much about Blaze King until the fever broke loose here this year.
It seems like the Englander 30, Woodstock Fireview, and the 2 BK stoves have been very popular, highly recommended, and talked about here for some time. It's not like the BK is a new product or a kept secrete. All three deserve the popularity they receive here. I might even add some of the Jotul products to this list...

Three years ago the PE Summit was the hot item here, the next year the 30-NC and this year it is the Fireview and the Blaze Kings. We kinda do "Stove of the Year" it seems. :lol:

BrotherBart said:
We kinda do "Stove of the Year" it seems. :lol:

I have also noted this. Hmmmm....who shale we endorse next. I'll wait for the envelope full of money to show up first. :lol:

BrotherBart said:
Three years ago the PE Summit was the hot item here, the next year the 30-NC and this year it is the Fireview and the Blaze Kings. We kinda do "Stove of the Year" it seems. :lol:
You're right, I forgot about the PE Summit. :cheese: I still think all these stoves deserve the press they are getting, for one reason or another.

Wet1 said:
BrotherBart said:
You're right, I forgot about the PE Summit. :cheese: I still think all these stoves deserve the press they are getting, for one reason or another.

Just wait til that new top loading Jotul comes out! :)

Todd said:
Just wait til that new top loading Jotul comes out! :)

Or the Equinox with an Auto-Loader.

I think the next "hot" stove to have will be a larger version of the Fireview... if they ever get it to the market. If they make it significantly larger than the FV and price it right, it will likely be a big topic here.

The buck 91 is like that big country falme, even worse than the BKs. I don't understand why the stove guys can't just make a plain Englander 30 looking stove with a cat. Why must they ruin it with these very goofy, and likely more expensive, shapes?

learnin to burn said:
Bigg_Redd - And then We bought the Blaze King King :coolsmile:

Sweet.

My old man wants one of those but without a major remodel it just won't fit.

Give us periodic updates as the winter progresses.

Highbeam said:
The buck 91 is like that big country falme, even worse than the BKs. I don't understand why the stove guys can't just make a plain Englander 30 looking stove with a cat. Why must they ruin it with these very goofy, and likely more expensive, shapes?

They did a good job with the Buck 80. It has a straight forward clean look.

True, the 80 looks less spaceshiplike but it only has a 2.6 CF firebox. Why do that on a cat stove that can be dialed back to low heat output? Burn time is much less and max output is smaller. A smaller footprint is one benefit.

Ack, that little 80 requires an 8" flue as well.

http://www.buckstove.com/wood/model80.html

My parents have used the Buck Model 91 insert since around 2000. This has been an outstanding stove and it's built like a tank. The build quality is excellent. They have it installed in the basement and it can heat both levels of a larger 4 bedroom house. I replaced the cat last Christmas, but it probably should have been replaced the year before. If you decide to go with the 91, keep in mind that it puts out a lot of heat, so it's not well suited for a small room unless you have very good airflow in your house. The fan is variable speed and can be operated in auto or manual mode. On high speed, it is noisy, but no worst then other inserts that I've been around. Also, this stove is very heavy (close to 600 lbs I believe), so if you plan to install it yourself get a lot of help.

If you need a large stove (4.4 cu ft firebox) that can put out some serious heat, the Buck 91 is a great choice.

Got a used 91 this summer and have used it about five times. Still getting used to it but already getting long burn times. I loaded it last night at about 11:30 with some poplar pieces and one round of oak and it is still putting out a little heat 10.5 hours later.
One problem with the stove however is that the fan blows all the time when switched to automatic mode, even when there isn't a fire. I checked the wiring and it appears to match the diagram in the manual. I guess I need a new thermostat.

There is one for sale near me that looks brand new, for a pretty good price, too. Too big for my house and clearances though!

Which reminds me . . . what is "The Stove" for 2010 . . . I can't think of any stove or stove line that is really wowing people this year . . . I mean sure we still have fanboys of Jotuls, PEs, Woodstocks, Englanders, etc. . . . but maybe it's just me but I haven't seen any one stove that has been the cat's meow this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.