No More Box Store Chains for me.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

daveswoodhauler

Minister of Fire
May 20, 2008
Massachusetts
Ok folks....finally tried out my new chains from Ammicks for the 18" Craftsman I have. Went with the Oregon 91VX 62 Low Pro.
Holy Crap....these chains spit out chucks of wood when curtting....well, not chunks, but more more than I am used to.
And I would easily say that the chains on this cuts in about half the time as the Oregons I got from Lowes a few months back.
I really cannot believe how much the chain makes a difference on the saw...just wanted to say thanks for all that pointed me in the right direction.
Going over me relatives tomorrow to cut up 2 50' oaks that came down our last ice storm....I am psyched now.

Welcome to enlightenment, sure does make quite a difference, eh? Say- for the life of me I can't find the part number or model number of my say, I'm gonna need a few new drum sprockets for the chain drive and can't order on parts direct without the appropriate number, you got the number on ya by chance....................

I'll try to take a trip out to the shed later on and see if I can get the exact number on mine....

Thanks ilike- commin' to think of it I need a couple new chains too....................

Ok, I just ripped the tag off and going to keep in the house versus lose it out the the woods.
Here is the info on mine:

2002 US EPA PH 2
42CC with 18" Bar
Model is 358.350600

Looked around for the manual on it, but can't seem to locate it....hope this helps.

Thank you- thank you very much! I'm all set now, again thanks................

Edit- let us know how the saw performs thru the oaks..........

Actually, the saw ripped through the oaks pretty well with the new chains. With the old chain, I would need to touch up and file after a tank of gas, but these chains I ran through 2 tanks before changing out the chain. (Probably didn't need to, but I wanted to see the big chunks fly again with the new chain....bought 2 from Amicks....they looked like the the stuff you would line a hampster/rabbit cage with...like little freakin streamers coming out of the saw...yee haa!

My problem with the cutting was all the freakin poison ivy around the base...thank god I am on Prendisone now :)

I did get a little bit of bogging down towards the base...was about 26" diameter...but the little Craftsman pushed through. (My dad gave me the saw about 7 years back when we got our first houose, so I got a little senimental value to it)

Funny thing, on my saw the sticker read "Durability Period 50 hours" ...I think I am well beyond that.....the little saw has done me well.

Yeah- what a wonder a chain makes. It cut my work time down to a fraction..................

Status
Not open for further replies.