No raised hearth, clearance considerations for insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

LeslieMD

Sep 22, 2018
Maryland
Hi,

I'll be purchasing a wood stove insert for the fireplace in my needs-to-be-renovated 1950's 1,000 square foot Cape Cod (1.5 stories). The insert will replace the electric base board heating currently available. I've only owned this house since January, and have lived in it since March. A chimney sweep is coming to do a level 2 inspection and clean in a couple of weeks. A photo of my fireplace should be attached.

I'd like to make use of Maryland's clean energy grant program by using an EPA certified insert that produces fewer than 3 grams of particulates per hour. The program is described here: https://energy.maryland.gov/Residential/Pages/incentives/woodstoves.aspx. The list I am working from should be attached.

I'm leaning toward the CW2900 or something within that price range. However, I read about the 29" clearance requirements for Century/Drolet fireplaces with no hearths and the potential for additional costs to get the floor up to code. If those total costs then equal a more expensive insert that has less clearance requirements, I'd prefer to go that route.

Since this is my first insert (my first fireplace!), I was hoping to get some guidance on efficient inserts that have up to 18" (width of the space in front of fireplace) clearance requirements. No raised hearth, clearance considerations for insert

Attachments

• See approved wood and pellet burning stove list (1).pdf
    324.3 KB · Views: 203
Last edited by a moderator:
If it will fit, the Century CW2900 should be a good choice. It only projects out past the fireplace face about an inch and a half. Looks like your hearth may be ok with that.

I'm not spotting a clearance issue here. What is the 29" clearance about?

You have an all brick fireplace with no combustible mantel. I don't see an issue unless I am missing something.

For example, on page 36 of the Century 2500's manual (https://sbiweb.blob.core.windows.net/media/2479/45793a_09-07-2018.pdf), the clearance requirements for the floor in front of the insert are 22" and if the hearth is less than 8" above the combustible floor, then that 22" needs to be R2.

(I'm looking at the 2500 now, because although the EPA list includes the 2900, the 2900's published g/h is more than 3 g/h.)

Many Inserts will be 18 or less for hearth floor requirements. Looks like most of the Lopi's are 16-18inches.

Reactions: LeslieMD
Many Inserts will be 18 or less for hearth floor requirements. Looks like most of the Lopi's are 16-18inches.

Thanks for the insight. I need to find another solution, either pellet insert or a stove in another location. The flue is apparently too small to accommodate the typical 6" liner.

Thanks for the insight. I need to find another solution, either pellet insert or a stove in another location. The flue is apparently too small to accommodate the typical 6" liner.
What are the inside dimensions of the chimney flue?