No Secondary Burn Visible?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Rollieman

Aug 27, 2017
Hamilton, Ma.
Started my new Englander 17-VL today for the first time for the purpose of break-in in / paint curing.

Per specification I ran the first heat cycle about 300 degrees then let it die down to room temperature and now in the process of running the 2nd heat cycle which is just under 400 degrees.

Not sure why, but I do not see ANY secondary flames coming out of the tubes.

I have a very good draft with a 19 foot straight up flute and the have no smoke plus a very active flames, but again no secondary flames at all!

Could it be the break in temperatures are too low for the secondary flames to activate, or is my stove possibly defective?

I was looking forward to viewing the blue secondary flames I've heard so much about !

Thank you ! Note: the first 300 degree burn was with kindling wood and the second 400 degree burn was with compressed wood bricks from Canawick.

Last edited:
Not an expert here, but I know when I did me break in fires, instructions said to have primary air open. My stoves secondaries are noticeable usually when air is dialed back. Defer to the pros but the rolling secondary thing should come with more normal operation.

Flames won't come out of the tubes. But oxygen which will allow the smoke in close vicinity to burn will come out of the tubes. It can look like hollow flames. The farther open you have the primary draft, the more of this smoke is being burnded in the primary fire and the less combustion air is being sucked through the tubes.

You'll see much more secondary fire with a hotter stove and more closed primary air setting. Also, more secondary fire earlier in the combustion cycle.

Good job burning in the new stove while it's still pretty warm outside. There's a long tradition of hearth members breaking in new stoves in the summer!

Pictures!!

Flames won't come out of the tubes. But oxygen which will allow the smoke in close vicinity to burn will come out of the tubes. It can look like hollow flames. The farther open you have the primary draft, the more of this smoke is being burnded in the primary fire and the less combustion air is being sucked through the tubes.

You'll see much more secondary fire with a hotter stove and more closed primary air setting. Also, more secondary fire earlier in the combustion cycle.

Good job burning in the new stove while it's still pretty warm outside. There's a long tradition of hearth members breaking in new stoves in the summer!

Pictures!!

Thank you for explaining that to me Highbeam and Ctwoodtick, feel better now!
I will post some pics soon ------------ love this stove, gives off serious heat for a little guy even at 400 degrees.

Reactions: saskwoodburner
I get max secondary burnage when I fill the firebox to the brim, let the splits catch flame for about 15 minutes, then damper down incrementally. Gotta have a full firebox, though, to get the show.

Last edited:
Like highbeam said, hot stove, closed primary air feed and dry wood.