NOAA’s Winter Outlook

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I always figure winter is what winter is . . . you can read all the predictions, study the wooly bears and hornet nests . . . but the only way to know what the winter will be like is when it's over and you can look back and say, "That wasn't so bad" or "Holy cow . . . I've had enough snow and cold to last me a lifetime -- or at least until July when I'll complain about the heat and humidity."

Delta-T said:
its gonna be fairly nice in Aruba....kinda dry, little breezy, about 82F.....for about the next 365 days.

Gets old, not. I spent four years in Pearl City, Hawaii. House had no AC, no heat and single wall construction (ie exterior wall is the interior wall). Didn't need any. It was fabulous.

Only thing was when I got there I couldn't speak the pidgin. People would stick their head in a meeting and say something and someone would answer, but I had absolutely no clue what had transpired. Everybody else knew exactly what was going down but me. Most of the rem statements in the software was in pidgin. I thought that was hilarious. Took me a year or so, but I got up on the step.

Nobody runs language classes to teach pidgin. Have to learn from the neighbors, in dangerous bars, and in the trenches. Son born in Kapi,olani Hospital. I wrote down the nice things the nurses said and took the list in to work. The secretaries told me the meaning. There is a rich language of tender love in the islands. They cherish all children. I still listen to slack string guitar. It is the bluegrass of the islands.

Status
Not open for further replies.