NOAA sez...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And for the PNW to get hammered this Winter.

Don't remind me. We've only been 10-15 degrees below normal since May. >:-(

BrotherBart said:
And for the PNW to get hammered this Winter.

I'm ready baby!!! Was ready last winter as well and we got nothing

Yup, looks like it. Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch. :)

You are getting black mold in your stocking this Christmas.

Gonna get a real workout report on that T-6 methinxs. Got the wood, got the shed, got the stove. Rock and roll.

BeGreen said:
You are getting black mold in your stocking this Christmas.

Mold... what's that? Oh, yeah, that stuff that grows in the dark places of humid climes.

I feel for ya, BG, honest. You guys have had it rough up there since late spring.

Amen brother. Just hope I have the back behaving itself too. The 602 will be in the greenhouse this year. Not sure how much I will have that going, but it will make for a warm mancave when I need to get away.

Should be fun to burn the 602 again - been a while!

I've been saving up smaller splits for the little guy. I do like that stove so I am glad to see it going back in service. And now I won't need to be running it at 750 °F all the time. We'll see how that works out for wood consumption.

Whatever. No one can predict the weather more than 1 week out if that. It's always cold come Winter and warms up in the Summer.

Well it didn't warm up this summer out here, but Todd's right, they didn't predict it until we were already in the middle of the big chill. And it would delight me if they were wrong about this winter. However, the Pacific is still pretty cold so far and it looks like it may stay that way for awhile. The beneficiaries have been the fish. Record salmon runs are being reported in Canada.

BeGreen said:
Well it didn't warm up this summer out here, but Todd's right, they didn't predict it until we were already in the middle of the big chill. And it would delight me if they were wrong about this winter. However, the Pacific is still pretty cold so far and it looks like it may stay that way for awhile. The beneficiaries have been the fish. Record salmon runs are being reported in Canada.

The record salmon run up here has nothing to do with the temperature - it is actually direcly linked to the government inquiry we currently have underway to investigate the record low salmon run we had last year... :)

Looks to me like they are saying warmer for us up here this fall - I have mixed feelings on that. As much as I like to save on the amount of wood I burn (I know I'll still get to burn so that's all well and good), the kids sure like to get some snow! Then again, our snow generally really comes in the Jan-March timeframe so who knows...

op_man1 said:
BeGreen said:

The record salmon run up here has nothing to do with the temperature - it is actually direcly linked to the government inquiry we currently have underway to investigate the record low salmon run we had last year... :)

We're seeing a good return of salmon here in WA and Oregon too. One theory is that this is a good year for plankton in the Pacific which is the basis of the food chain. The way it was explained to me is when the Pacific is warm, the fish head up to Alaska and Russia, when it is colder they show up more in lower latitudes.

"The Columbia River in Oregon has seen "the largest sockeye return since 1938""
http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5hwk8c-ePB09j5SDRMkLCZUflCrvQ

So what you are saying is that we may very well be facing an aggressive salmon invasion?! :bug: Maybe we should erect a fence or pass a law. At the very least we should inspect their papers prior to entry.

I need to ask my grandmother what the almighty Farmers' Almanac has to say. She secretly swears by that thing. :lol:

Maybe we should take a day off and go fishing!

Ugh. I don't like that map. Glad I put on a roof this year. I just ordered tires last night.

Plenty of salmon around though. I wish I could get out there. Luckily the guy at the farmer's market is there every week instead of every other this year.

Todd said:
Whatever. No one can predict the weather more than 1 week out if that.

Actually I have found NOAA's seasonal forecasts to be quite good for this neck of the woods. They're not weather predictions in the day-to-day sense, and they're not intended to be. They're like directional pointers, not position locators.

Status
Not open for further replies.