noisy flue after liner repair.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pr0vidence

Nov 11, 2007
south central CT
For those just tuning in, here:

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/32050/

is my repair from the problem in the further thread linked in that thread. If the first thread, I had asked if the creosote buildup looked ok, which a few people said it looked fine. Tonight is the first night we fired the stove since I discovered the problem. Now, naturally, I knocked some of the creosote loose as I was repairing the problem with the liner, so I hope this isn't an issue. We started the stove with a few splits. I she slowly rose up to 350 or so, at which point the splits' burning has slowed, so I decided to open the door and rearrange things, as well as put in some more fuel. When I opened the door the rush of heated air up the chimney caused what I assume is loose creosote to move around in the flue. Sounded kind of like someone was standing on the roof sprinkling sand down the chimney. the noise stopped when I closed the door.

Anything I should be worried about? Anything I should check? I ask only because someone in another thread many moons ago said they heard what they described as a similar noise and s/he was told they need to clean their flue ASAP.

I just want to avoid fires in places I don't want fires to be.

thanks. Sorry I've been a pain the last few days.

To be safe I would sweep the chimney.

Does your pipe have a clean out?

if not you might need to remove the pipe connceting to the stove and vacuum everything out. The sound seams like just loose creasote kicking around inside the liner. So its either coming loose off the side of the pipe or from the top of the stove that gets caught by the draft to bounce around

Status
Not open for further replies.