Non cat wood stove opinions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

70gto

Jan 1, 2022
North carolina
I'm looking for opinions on woodstoves. I live in Eastern North carolina. 1800 sq ft modular built in 2002. 8 ft ceilings. Woodstove will be put in the middle of the home and floor fans used to move air though out the house.

What I'm looking for is a non cat wood stove. I have a fisher papa bear in the shop and like the rugged simplicity amd would like to find the same in a newer stove that is more efficient. I would like to stay under 3k for the stove. What I'm looking for is a steel plate stove that is non cat. I do not want a blower model. More of a radiant heat incase the power goes out. I am looking for a stove that will last 30+ years without having to rebuild or replace parts every couple of years. Basically a simple, rugged, well built steel plate, non cat stove that does not require a blower to heat the home. Thanks in advance for the thoughts amd opinions

Century and Drolet are some budget brands from a reputable company.

It’s hard to find a mostly radiant non cat stove, most have a combination of both radiant/convection so they can have the best of both worlds while maintaining close clearances to combustibles.I think Drolet has a radiant non cat but don’t remember the name. Others to consider is Jotul F45 and PE T5, Super 27. They have well built insulated stainless baffle systems.

2 models particular I was looking at is the Century fw3500 and the Osborn 3300. I think both of these fit the bill I am looking for. Any help with what's in the price difference. And quality of the 2 stoves

2 models particular I was looking at is the Century fw3500 and the Osborn 3300. I think both of these fit the bill I am looking for. Any help with what's in the price difference. And quality of the 2 stoves
Both stoves are made by the same company. The Century is the budget line, the Osburn is the higher end line. Like a Chevy and a Cadillac.

Both stoves are made by the same company. The Century is the budget line, the Osburn is the higher end line. Like a Chevy and a Cadillac.
SBI also makes Drolet (and Enerzone).The Drolet Escape 1800 should work well. There is also the True North TN20 which would be a good fit. Or step up to the PE Super. In Quadrafire, the 3100 Millenium would work.

I have the osburn 3300 and heat 24/7 with it.im very pleased with it.seems to be a quality unit.i know the prices went up 800 cad last year

I can heat 2000 sq ft with a 1.7 cu ft Jotul F400 (they don’t make them anymore) but I wish I had something like 2.4 cu ft. Your insulation is better than my 1965 ranch.

If you don’t want to replace anything but gaskets get something with a stainless baffle. I have a Drolet 1800i insert downstairs and it’s simple and rugged but I’m sure the baffle will be a maintenance item. Not expensive 50-60$. I’d be getting a pacific energy T5 today. It might be at the top end of your budget but I think it’s a very good stove.

I live much further north in MA and heat my entire 2 store 1700 sq ft cape with an osburn 1600 insert. I use a blower obviously but it does come as a free standing stove as well. It's been updated to the Osburn 1700. It's 1.85 cubic feet and I'm very happy with it. I think 2.2 cu ft would be better for slightly longer burns but that wasn't an option for my fireplace.

I'm not sure you need the giant firebox of the Osburn 3300 being in NC...unless you're in the mountains? Its 3.3 cubic feet. I'm always pro going bigger when it's an option but that's a lot of stove.

I can heat 2000 sq ft with a 1.7 cu ft Jotul F400 (they don’t make them anymore) but I wish I had something like 2.4 cu ft. Your insulation is better than my 1965 ranch.

If you don’t want to replace anything but gaskets get something with a stainless baffle. I have a Drolet 1800i insert downstairs and it’s simple and rugged but I’m sure the baffle will be a maintenance item. Not expensive 50-60$. I’d be getting a pacific energy T5 today. It might be at the top end of your budget but I think it’s a very good stove.
It sounds like your climate is the same, maybe even close by.

A big non cat stove would need half loads all but the month of January. The past week it’s been lows in the 30s highs in the 40s-50s. 65 today.

I have been lighting by 5 am maybe a second load around 9-10 on days it didn’t get to 50 (my 1.7 cu ft jotul). heatpump is running by 2 pm and off at 8 or 9 after the house is up to 72 or 73. It cools off to 65-66 by the next morning. Repeat..

Unless you had a really opec concept a 3.3 cu ft for 1800 sq ft seems a bit large. Remember the minimum burn rate on a a new EPA stove is fixed unlike the papa bear where you could turn down almost to snuff out the fire.

Unless you had a really opec concept a 3.3 cu ft for 1800 sq ft seems a bit large.
Agreed. If the house insulation is decent a 2 cu ft stove will heat the place well.

Thanks for all the advice. I am going to go a bit smaller on the stove size like has been Recommend. I like the idea of the stainless baffles. So after all the recommendations the two models I'm looking at are the pe super le, and the osburn 2000. Both models are in the 2 cu ft, stainless baffles, steel plate.

Reactions: EbS-P
Thanks for all the advice. I am going to go a bit smaller on the stove size like has been Recommend. I like the idea of the stainless baffles. So after all the recommendations the two models I'm looking at are the pe super le, and the osburn 2000. Both models are in the 2 cu ft, stainless baffles, steel plate.
The Osburn 2000 is basically my exact stove but the next firebox size up. I believe it's 2.4 cu ft vs 1.85 cu ft box. It's a rugged steel stove but I'm almost positive it comes with a standard c-cast baffle.

C-cast baffles are fine though IMO. They are a maintenance item that are very easy and cheap to replace every X # of hours used. I've run about 10 cords thru my current baffle and whacked it a whole bunch of times loading and it's in fine shape.

Bottom line is Id highly recommend the product. Ive been very happy with it and SBI is easy to deal with for any issues.

After looking at the owners manual for the osburn 2000 that states the baffles are cast. The website I was looking at said the secondary air system was stainless. My first choice is the pe super le. I called the 2 places that sell somewhat local for a price and both were in the 3500 range for just the stove on a pedestal wanting a extra 600 for the black door. That seems a bit high to me. Is there any reputable online retailers that sell the pe super le

After looking at the owners manual for the osburn 2000 that states the baffles are cast. The website I was looking at said the secondary air system was stainless. My first choice is the pe super le. I called the 2 places that sell somewhat local for a price and both were in the 3500 range for just the stove on a pedestal wanting a extra 600 for the black door. That seems a bit high to me. Is there any reputable online retailers that sell the pe super le
I haven’t seen any. But you can get the Drolet 1800 cheaper.