Normal/abnormal stove odors

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jttoad1968

Oct 31, 2019
Northern New Jersey
Hi,

As this is my first wood burner I’m unsure if a dumb question but figured import to ask.

Every once in a while I am getting a whiff of the burning wood while the insert door is closed. It is quick and not long lasting. I don’t see anything like the flames being disrupted or anything like wind came into the box. It is possible that I am getting it through an open window from outside though as just about everybody near us, and now us are burning wood. I just wanted to see if something I should be concerned about.

Thanks
Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What stove do you have? (You can add it to your signature, click your username at the top of the page, then click preferences.) Welcome to the forums. :)
Yes, one of your neighbors may have an old, stinky stove that doesn't reburn the smoke, and they may smolder it, trying for an overnight burn. I'm assuming that you OTOH have a new, clean-burning stove. ==c
Seriously though, any stove will emit some unburned smoke in the startup phase of the burn.
You must have plenty of dry wood, if you keep your windows open. ;)

What stove do you have? (You can add it to your signature, click your username at the top of the page, then click preferences.) Welcome to the forums. :)
Yes, one of your neighbors may have an old, stinky stove that doesn't reburn the smoke, and they may smolder it, trying for an overnight burn. I'm assuming that you OTOH have a new, clean-burning stove. ==c
Seriously though, any stove will emit some unburned smoke in the startup phase of the burn.

Hi. I don’t see that option when I click my user name. I am using Tapatalk to access the forum which may be why. I went to the webpage but can’t remember my password and when I try to reset it says it doesn’t recognize me. I will have to work on that.

For now though, it is a Regency i3100L

Yes my neighbor across the street has constant smoke coming out of their chimney.

The smell is not when I have the door open. It is just once in a while I will get hit with the smell. I don’t mind it, I just wanted to make sure it is safe.

I have the window cracked as it mentioned I should in the manual. Is that not normal for people to do that?

My wood I’ve been burning has been under 20% moisture. I have a few logs I did not split which could be higher. I am having trouble getting it hot enough. I can seem to get past 400 measuring the front with either a magnetic thermostat or an ir gun.

How are your clearances? How is the chimney run through the house? Sometimes a piece of bark will fall on the ash lip and give off a smell but that is harmless. With a window open you certainly will smell the smoke if it blows around outside. Even an EPA stove gives off wood smoke smell.

How are your clearances? How is the chimney run through the house? Sometimes a piece of bark will fall on the ash lip and give off a smell but that is harmless. With a window open you certainly will smell the smoke if it blows around outside. Even an EPA stove gives off wood smoke smell.

Hi. I’m not sure what you mean by clearances, sorry. The chimney is a stainless liner up through an existing brick fireplace. It is on the outside wall. It is straight down but they needed an offset to attach the liner to the top of the insert. It was done by a professional installer/sweep. I’ve attached a photo of the exterior of the house. Ok good on the smell from outside. I just wasn’t sure. We do have carbon monoxide detectors but still a little nerve wracking as we have not done this before. My only fire experience is with a fire pit in the back yard.
0ba6dd3dce4468d565a66f6753072b81.jpg

Nice house! Im thinking you could probably close the window. If it burns well it isnt needed.

If the chimney has multiple flues the smoke can be coming in another flue.
It's not uncommon for a furnace or boiler flue to reverse when the furnace or boiler is not running. Sometimes not for very long or even just during gusts on windy days.

Then again, I'll smell my neighbor's stove every now and then, a bit more when the wind is from the right direction.

Reactions: Ludlow
The smell is not when I have the door open. It is just once in a while I will get hit with the smell. I don’t mind it, I just wanted to make sure it is safe.
It could be something dripping on the stovetop by the flue collar. If this is creosote dripping off the liner it should be investigated.

If the chimney has multiple flues the smoke can be coming in another flue.
It's not uncommon for a furnace or boiler flue to reverse when the furnace or boiler is not running. Sometimes not for very long or even just during gusts on windy days.

Then again, I'll smell my neighbor's stove every now and then, a bit more when the wind is from the right direction.

There are two. One for boiler and one for insert. The smell is from this room. My neighbor’s chimney smokes a lot. Also there is a house behind us that has an outdoor wood furnace which it may be coming from.

Haha. You thought you were going to be comforted and now....BAM... you are paranoid.!!!

Oh boy. How would I find that out?
Pull the surround and inspect with a flashlight. But only do that if you have eliminated outdoor smoke first.

Can you tell me where you find the stove make in a members signature i have clicked on the names but don't see a stove make a model.its not important really but i enjoy reading the threads on this site just for information and entertainment

Can you tell me where you find the stove make in a members signature i have clicked on the names but don't see a stove make a model.its not important really but i enjoy reading the threads on this site just for information and entertainment
Some people have not added it yet. There is no way to know unless you have seen it mentioned in another thread and hold it in your head. It is important and helpful info to have in advance before dealing with a question.

Oh boy. How would I find that out?

Can I ask how many times you have burned the unit since it was installed or was it being used previously when you bought the house?

Can I ask how many times you have burned the unit since it was installed or was it being used previously when you bought the house?

We had it installed last Thursday. So just a week Of burning almost non stop. We did the 3 smaller fires and then have been trying to maintain a fire at all times but have had to let it die out a few times.

The existing fireplace the flue was very clean they said. The firebox was super dirty. He said they were prob burning Duraflame logs a lot at some point. He did clean it prior to installing the unit.

I highly doubt there is creosote dripping down the liner in that amount of time. I guess it's possible. Maybe. What does Bholler think?

I highly doubt there is creosote dripping down the liner in that amount of time. I guess it's possible. Maybe. What does Bholler think?

For the most part we have been running with no smoke other than on startup. We did find that running logs e/w will produce creosote on the glass. Begreen said to try n/s for a different reason and it does seem to keep the glass cleaner. Today however it smoked very bad for around 10 min. I have been splitting and checking moisture and putting back stuff not ready and I used some today to see what would happen and I found out...

We had it installed last Thursday. So just a week Of burning almost non stop. We did the 3 smaller fires and then have been trying to maintain a fire at all times but have had to let it die out a few times.

The existing fireplace the flue was very clean they said. The firebox was super dirty. He said they were prob burning Duraflame logs a lot at some point. He did clean it prior to installing the unit.
Another possibility with this little use is that you are smelling paint break in smells as the stove is run hotter.

Reactions: Ludlow
Like you I am now only 4 weeks into learning how to burn my Princess Insert. I posted the same question in the BK performance thread. This past Saturday I had a fire going after reload, box temp was around 500 deg. I went into my garage with the garage doors open and smelled what seemed to be a plastic burning odor. Quickly ran outside and shined a flashlight on the cap and saw some black smoke and white smoke coming out. Chimney cap is at least 50' away and 35' high off the ground, it was windy though. Concensus was that I had burned up some creosote that was in the firebox. It was weird that I could smell it inside my garage given those distances.

So yes it as in my case it is entirely possible to have a smoke smell get inside your house from an open window or door where the source is your chimney even in what appears to be a good setup that you have.