Norwegian Style Efficiency

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Those tile ovens are pretty awesome.
The old cast iron ones are a thing of beauty.
I love how almost every room has it’s own little stove. Bigger is not always better.

I prefer the Scandinavian style of several small stoves. I know this means you have to feed it more often, but it heats up quickly and starts heating the room very fast. Once the heat exhanger on our 2B Classic warms up the house follows shortly after.

I’m right there with you @SpaceBus I don’t mind playing with the fire. In fact I enjoy it! I love the classic style.
I think I may have told you before I admire your choice of stove. It’s a beautiful thing.
All the used 1b and 2’s I’ve looked at have been cracked..badly. Burn that thing like a Scandinavian, not an American.

Reactions: SpaceBus
I’m right there with you @SpaceBus I don’t mind playing with the fire. In fact I enjoy it! I love the classic style.
I think I may have told you before I admire your choice of stove. It’s a beautiful thing.
All the used 1b and 2’s I’ve looked at have been cracked..badly. Burn that thing like a Scandinavian, not an American.

I don't know how Americans seem to crack them so much. The stoves are meant to run hot. I generally just try and keep it below 800 at the fake cook rings and that seems to work so far. Our house is really well insulated and unless it's bitterly cold and windy I don't have to run it all day. It holds the coals very well and I don't usually have to start a fresh fire that often.

Reactions: TWilk117
I don't know how Americans seem to crack them so much. The stoves are meant to run hot. I generally just try and keep it below 800 at the fake cook rings and that seems to work so far. Our house is really well insulated and unless it's bitterly cold and windy I don't have to run it all day. It holds the coals very well and I don't usually have to start a fresh fire that often.

2 words that come to mind are impatient and lazy.

What makes you guys think Scandinavians don't crack them?

This style of heating is fine for some. But I work full time and don't feel like coming home to a cold house where I have to start fires in multiple stoves to bring up the temp.

You also have to consider the cost and maintenance involved in running multiple small stoves each with their own chimney. I'll stick with my large modern stove.

What makes you guys think Scandinavians don't crack them?

This style of heating is fine for some. But I work full time and don't feel like coming home to a cold house where I have to start fires in multiple stoves to bring up the temp.

You also have to consider the cost and maintenance involved in running multiple small stoves each with their own chimney. I'll stick with my large modern stove.
I’m sure Nordic folks do crack stoves from time to time, especially after a night of too much drinking? At the end of the video I shared the guy shows a 602 that was cracked.
With all of the Scandinavian research I’ve done, books I’ve read, and cinema I’ve watched; I have gotten the impression that Scandinavian folks are more conservative and a bit wiser(?) than your average “bigger is better” “I want it, and I want it right now” American.
Just an opinion based on observations.
Different strokes for different folks.
I’m glad you are happy with your stove and works well for you.
I suppose it would be a lot of work keeping all those chimneys clean and fires going.
The video was of an old drafty farm house in Sweden.

I’m sure Nordic folks do crack stoves from time to time, especially after a night of too much drinking? At the end of the video I shared the guy shows a 602 that was cracked.
With all of the Scandinavian research I’ve done, books I’ve read, and cinema I’ve watched; I have gotten the impression that Scandinavian folks are more conservative and a bit wiser(?) than your average “bigger is better” “I want it, and I want it right now” American.
Just an opinion based on observations.
Different strokes for different folks.
I’m glad you are happy with your stove and works well for you.
I suppose it would be a lot of work keeping all those chimneys clean and fires going.
The video was of an old drafty farm house in Sweden.
And that type of stove was most popular at a time when it was very common for someone to be home all day to keep those stoves going. There simply is no way I could heat with wood alone using stoves like that.

And that type of stove was most popular at a time when it was very common for someone to be home all day to keep those stoves going. There simply is no way I could heat with wood alone using stoves like that.

Good point.. I was thinking of that too. I’m sure at least the wife was home. Also they work less hours a week than we do.
Understandable. I don’t mind using a little oil to keep the house warm enough when I’m not home. No reason to keep the house 70-76 degrees if no one is even there.

I'm medically retired and work part time at most, so it works for us. My wife is a home care nurse and works six hour shifts m-f and a long ten hour shift on Saturday. One of us is able to keep the stove going at all times. We haven't woken up to a house below 62 f, yet, but if one of us gets up to feed the stove in the middle of the night it's around 70f when we get up. One of us always has to go to the bathroom in the night, so it's not a big deal. Our house is well insulated and frankly a bigger stove would cook us out. The little squirrel stove can cook us out if we run it hot all day. I usually wait six hours between loads to let the coals burn down a bit. On a really cold windy day it's more like four hours or less.

I think a bigger stove would cook me out too, and I don’t want to have to feed it a lot of wood to get it performing correctly.
Smaller stove, smaller amount of wood used. All my wood comes from my property, so I would rather burn it more sparingly than knock all my timber down in a few years.
I’m a horticultural technician (gardener) so I am usually home the coldest weeks of the year.

This won't work for everyone of course, so I understand why people like big modern stoves. If neither myself or my wife would be here for more than 8 hours at a time, then we would have gone with a different stove, perhaps a hybrid.

I think a bigger stove would cook me out too, and I don’t want to have to feed it a lot of wood to get it performing correctly.
Smaller stove, smaller amount of wood used. All my wood comes from my property, so I would rather burn it more sparingly than knock all my timber down in a few years.
I’m a horticultural technician (gardener) so I am usually home the coldest weeks of the year.

We are fortunate enough to have 24 acres, most of which is wooded. This means we won't have to fell any living trees for firewood. There are loads of standing dead trees and some already fallen that are still good for firewood. We will have to cut some living trees down to clear space for our planned shop, but I will mill those into lumber. Our land will provide more than enough firewood without cutting anything down.

We are fortunate enough to have 24 acres, most of which is wooded. This means we won't have to fell any living trees for firewood. There are loads of standing dead trees and some already fallen that are still good for firewood. We will have to cut some living trees down to clear space for our planned shop, but I will mill those into lumber. Our land will provide more than enough firewood without cutting anything down.

Wow 24 acres is a lot!
That would be like a billion dollars around here in Burlington County, NJ.
I only have a couple wooded acres. It has provided me with a lot of dead wood.

Wow 24 acres is a lot!
That would be like a billion dollars around here in Burlington County, NJ.
I only have a couple wooded acres. It has provided me with a lot of dead wood.
Thankfully we didn't have to pay a billion for our property, but we do live in a really harsh environment

Oh yeah, Down East Maine! That’s pretty awesome though. You’re in beautiful country. You got lobsters and Down East Dickering!

We came up in the summer to look at house and finally moved in November second. Haven't had any lobster yet and Down East Dickering is new one for me. I am from a military family, but I was born and lived a lot in the south. I love it up here, but it is different. The wife was born in Mass but has family up here and visited often.

I've never seen so many wood stove users in my life.

We came up in the summer to look at house and finally moved in November second. Haven't had any lobster yet and Down East Dickering is new one for me. I am from a military family, but I was born and lived a lot in the south. I love it up here, but it is different. The wife was born in Mass but has family up here and visited often.

I've never seen so many wood stove users in my life.

Congratulations! Buying a home and moving in successfully! That’s a lot of stressful work. Down East Dickering is a funny show. I’m not sure if it’s still on, but it would be worth a google. We have a lot of guys like that around here; only we call them Pineys, and they don’t have that wicked accent.
I moved into my house 3 years ago and never bothered to get cable tv. I’m a radio guy.
Never been further north than Boston..
good luck this winter. I hope you have lots of dry wood.