Not all liners are easy

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bholler

Chimney sweep
Staff member
Jan 14, 2014
central pa
Here is a fun one we are dealing with. Someone came down with a stainless liner then teed over to a clay lined block chimney going the rest of the way to the basement with no cleanout access. Fun

IMG_20230330_093056.jpg IMG_20230330_093107.jpg IMG_20230330_093136.jpg IMG_20230330_093148.jpg IMG_20230330_131732.jpg

Oh and caped that block chimney off with 2 bock a joint in the middle under a closet floor. Which is where all the charring came from

Ouch. That is a timebomb waiting to ignite. Glad you have been able to get in there and remedy the situation before a catastrophe struck. Did the homeowner smell smoke?

Ouch. That is a timebomb waiting to ignite. Glad you have been able to get in there and remedy the situation before a catastrophe struck. Did the homeowner smell smoke?
The chimney clogged and dumped oil fumes everywhere

• Wow
Reactions: begreen
Some projects are clearly not DIY for everyone😕Good example right there.

And there are a lot of so-called professionals that ain't.

Nothing diy about this they paid a mason 25 years or so ago to have their fireplace that had the furnace run up through it made functional again.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hexa Fox
Closing up

IMG_20230331_093116.jpg

And there are a lot of so-called professionals that ain't.
It's very frustrating to hire a professional. I never have a good experience, nor does anyone I know. I stopped hiring electricians. I knew one decent HVAC guy who retired and swore he would never do it even on the side..then moved away. I tried to hire a plumber for my cabin and as soon as he looked at my 3.5' tall crawlspace he said no. Just no. So Im under there running 1/2 pex all over the place with millions of T's and elbows and wondering why my water pressure is so low. SMH.

That must have been a hefty bill, but, priceless for the homeowner to have it done right.

That must have been a hefty bill, but, priceless for the homeowner to have it done right.
Yeah I actually tried to talk her into a power venter or new condensing furnace and abandoning the chimney. But she wanted it fixed. It was definitely the more expensive option

Last edited:
That looks great Bholler, but im with you. I would have just swapped over to a new high effeciency furnace that you can vent into pvc out the side of the wall.

That looks great Bholler, but im with you. I would have just swapped over to a new high effeciency furnace that you can vent into pvc out the side of the wall.
That's what most of the new construction around here does with oil furnaces. Customer got what they wanted and bholler got some work tho so I guess it's a win win!

That's what most of the new construction around here does with oil furnaces. Customer got what they wanted and bholler got some work tho so I guess it's a win win!
I really didn't want to do it honestly it was a big pita