Not completely galvanized stove pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

yankeesouth

Feb 9, 2011
Southwestern PA
Well I probably know the answer to what I am going to ask but I am a glutton for punishment. Don’t beat me up too bad… I have a cabin with about 20 feet of big old stone chimney with a terra cotta liner. I am piece milling my flu together and was given 2 sections of 4 foot galvanized 6inch/dia pipe. I know the zinc in galvanized products is bad stuff when heated and burned. How “bad” would things get or be if I pieced say the last one or two sections of the flu with this pipe? I am talking about the sections that poke out of the top. The first 10 feet or so, connection from stove to 10 feet up into the chimney, are approved wood stove pipe. I now the simple solution is just spend the money and get black stove pipe….problem is…..there is no money to spend.

SO this stuff would poke out of the top of the masonry chimney? Outside? Is it single wall pipe or class A? You can buy class A in galv too.

1.) unapproved product. IF you are gonna get it inspected - or if your ins co. does and inspection - it will fail.
2.) The stuff ain't gonna last long. After the galvanizing is gone, moisture hitting that thin wall pipe will eat it fast.
C.) The gasses that come from galvanizing is really nasty stuff. Just being down wind from it is very unhealthy.
4.) How will you know when the "next" peak temp is gonna hit and burn off a little more? While you are outside? or neighbors, or kids or dogs....
D.) Not a safe long term solution. Yeah, yeah - I know how it goes...I will just replace it when... then the darn stuff crumbles in your hands and you have a real mess to contend with.

Fire in your home should be handled with the utmost care and safety in mind. Don't do it.

Ya gotta do what ya gotta do. You know it ain't the best way to go, but hey, I see lots of old timers and even my uncle and cousins using galv. for exhaust on their stoves, etc.
Not saying I would do it, but ya have to do what ya have to do is all I am saying.
I doubt the cabin is insured?

Thanks for the input. It's single wall. I definitely would not do the whole flue in galvanized but being it is going to be the last few feet of the stack I wasn't sure if that took some of the risk out of using it.

You haven't answered, is this the last few feet of the stack outside on top of the masonry chimney or is this interior pipe in the living space? Makes a big difference.

What type pipe is connected to the stove up to the point you want to extend? stainless or black stove pipe?

Status
Not open for further replies.