Not done yet

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Was planning on cleaning my pipe this week. Not yet. Fri forecast high 51, low 39. And a inch of rain. Sounds like a good day for a hemlock fire, a good book, and peach pie.
Been in the 60s here during the day. No fires, but I would love a slice of peach pie.

I'll take the rest and I bet you have some peach trees around somewhere to where we all can have peach pie--sounds good..c

This pie was from our peaches we canned 2 years ago. And our 2 trees this year are loaded with tiny peaches. Had 2” snow on the flowers on 5/10, was hoping they’d produce.

Woke up to a bit of snow this morning.going to start the stove as it's 32° outside

Attachments

• 20210526_061805.jpg
    20210526_061805.jpg
    243.5 KB · Views: 108
  • Wow
Reactions: begreen
Now that I stopped burning I get my satisfaction by checking on my 2 year wood hoard and coming up with different schemes to fit another seasons worth somewhere in my yard to make it a 3 year rotation. Starting to sell my fiance on the fact that a holzhausen is actually decorative!

oh yeah... and my new chimney is STILL not done!!!!

Now that I stopped burning I get my satisfaction by checking on my 2 year wood hoard and coming up with different schemes to fit another seasons worth somewhere in my yard to make it a 3 year rotation. Starting to sell my fiance on the fact that a holzhausen is actually decorative!

Just dealt with some serious heat yesterday and tried condensing my 4 cords of seasoned wood to make room for ALOT more. Reminds me how much i hate humidity.. also theres nothing wrong with a holzhausen

Reactions: Rob_Red
Gosh Marty--still having snow and its real hot here...but I bet the air is nice and fresh there...clancey
Was 27° here this morning,brought in the hot peppers and flowers from the cold,never fired the stove as I just painted her up nice and pretty and don't want to deal with the stink,one more cool night tonight then we are going to cheer up

Reactions: PAbeech
47 this am, hi 52 today, with 1.5” rain predicted. Not going above 54 for 3 days, lows 41, rain every day. Started the hemlock fire this am

A5CF3009-12D5-43AC-A523-1CB379F1C7C1.jpeg
Good opportunity to try our new old Wagner kettle. Took two hard boils with loose tea bags to clean out a small amount of rust. Made good coffee water this am, plan is to keep hot water for tea or coffee on the stove all day.
8F685822-5BDE-4A12-BB0F-A621F804380F.jpeg

Same here in pennsylvania, cold and rainy. Just pulled out my old zero clearence fireplace and im staring at my new pacific energy summit insert. I wish it wasnt cold out because im dying to use this thing

Same here in pennsylvania, cold and rainy. Just pulled out my old zero clearence fireplace and im staring at my new pacific energy summit insert. I wish it wasnt cold out because im dying to use this thing
An insert can not be installed in that space. See manual.

Thinking of having a fire tonight. Mid-40s, cloudy. Put on a sweatshirt this morning

My wife is visiting her parents in NJ, I'm thinking, do I really want a fire? I won't ask the cats. I know what their answer would be. :)

For the first time ever I have a fire going in the wood stove Memorial Day weekend. I don't think it went above 50 today. I did buy some more plants for the garden and got them in the ground since more rain is coming.

Seemed strange working in the garden with the wood stove going inside.

41 this am, 48 for our high. 2” rain.
Making Crab cakes, and baked potatoes in the woodstove.
74-80 degrees inside all day.

41 this am, 48 for our high. 2” rain.
Making Crab cakes, and baked potatoes in the woodstove.
74-80 degrees inside all day.
Crabcakes,I'm on the next plane

Yea crabcakes sound good, not a traditional Memorial Day meal then again this weather isn't traditional. Typically this is the weekend I remove the firewood rack from the living room, clean and vacuum around the area to make room for a pedestal fan. None of that this weekend.

Holzhausens are decorative. I put one on either side of my driveway and get a ton of compliments about them!

Yea crabcakes sound good, not a traditional Memorial Day meal then again this weather isn't traditional. Typically this is the weekend I remove the firewood rack from the living room, clean and vacuum around the area to make room for a pedestal fan. None of that this weekend.

We also went non traditional and I made fried chicken. I debated lighting the stove as it's 45 and rainy but I couldn't get myself to go out back and lug in some wood. I already did the spring stove cleaning and all my burning tools are in the basement too. I'm letting the heat pump will carry the load, it's warm enough to be efficient. The tomatoes are loving the rain at least!

Who's hungry?

20210529_171911.jpg

Reactions: kennyp2339
We also went non traditional and I made fried chicken. I debated lighting the stove as it's 45 and rainy but I couldn't get myself to go out back and lug in some wood. I already did the spring stove cleaning and all my burning tools are in the basement too. I'm letting the heat pump will carry the load, it's warm enough to be efficient. The tomatoes are loving the rain at least!

Who's hungry?

View attachment 279182
Looks yummy,I'll bet the big galoute is drooling

I lit the stove yesterday, full load of cherry and oak, house is way warm, never even made it to 50 yesterday, 41 at night, loaded a few pieces of cherry before leaving to run a errand, was surreal to see a whisp of smoke coming from the chimney with full green leaves on the tree's, more then likely going to keep the stove going today, moderate rain, sill very cool out, and to think it was 90deg w/ the central ac running last Wednesday.
About the only positive I can think of is that the pollen this year was horrible, very heavy due to a very dry May, hardly no rain here, so its nice to have the stove going, a few windows open and fresh crisp air coming inside, really enjoying it.

Yes, that seems like a conflicting sight - smoke from the chimney with everything green and growing, and maybe a window open!

Here too, we need the rain which will benefit the garden. A question for those who cook inside the woodstove - I assume anything is wrapped in foil? Next fall I may try a baked potato that way.

Last edited:

Who's hungry?

View attachment 279182
Ok you can't just post something that yummie looking without giving some details. ;lol
Is that battered and baked and then Broiled to get it so crisp looking?