Not exactly sure where to stick this but...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

SidecarFlip

Minister of Fire
Feb 7, 2010
S.E. Michigan
If you have a Stihl straight shaft brush trimmer like I do and use the Polycut head instead of the string head (like I do again), I found replacement nylon blades on Flea Bay for about 1/10th the dealer price. Just bought 100 for 35 bucks delivered and they are exact, American Made copies. Only difference is, they don't have the Stihl logo on them and no part number but other than that, they are exact copies and run just as well as the OEM blades. I was paying 10 bucks plus tax for 9 blades at the dealer. Glad I found this source as I only use the Polycut head anymore. If I'm careful and don't stick it somewhere where it don't belong, like against a tree trunk or a fence post, the blades last a couple tanks of premix.

I soak them in water before use too. Makes them last even longer.

Hope that helps someone.

Still working through a bunch of string for mine. You use them for general trimming around the yard?

Still working through a bunch of string for mine. You use them for general trimming around the yard?
Actually, everywhere except woody brush. Woody brush gets the metal blade. What I like about the Polycut head and blades is how long they last. I can run for hours without ever fuddling with string. I see Stihl still offers the Polycut Heads as an accessory. Like a mini lawnmower blade, only 3 instead of one. Finding the replacement blades on E-Bay as cheap as I did, makes the head even better. The blades at the dealer were pretty darn expensive but the convenience outweighed the cost of them anyway.

I soak them in a jug of water, in fact my .105 sting is in there too, though I don't use it anymore. Water somehow makes the plastic more pliable, don't know how but it works.

Reactions: Gearhead660